Cavalier Review

Hello everyone,

As promised in my first ever post to DCP I would like to throw my 1 1/2 cents in on the hot topic of "Is the Cavalier horn line REALLY this good?"

As mentioned earlier, I have been very critical of the recent Cavalier horn lines. I was part of a GREAT Cavalier horn line back in 1977 (Thanks to Jim Elvord). We were super clean (tied for 1st at DCI in execution, back when there WAS an execution caption) but Jim was the master of making a horn line sound great with a somewhat water downed show. Yes, this year's music show seems to be "easy" or "not as difficult as other shows" but a lot that has to do with the fact that they make it look easy. You don't need a lot of wailing soloist to show off your talent. Doing what you do musically within the "Frameworks" of the show is the true test.

I believe that the Cavaliers have the most talented horn line in recent years and their musical show shows it. The sounds that come from this line are something that we have never heard on the field in the past. It is mesmerizing. You just sit there with your mouth open. Any true musician out there will thoroughly enjoy this show but I wonder how many of the fans sitting in the stands really appreciate what they hear. I think most people in the stands enjoy a good entertaining marching show and great music is gravy. This, in my opinion, describes the Cavalier shows of recent past. Madison, although very entertaining, haven't been the most "musically" talented in recent years but the fans (including myself) love them.

I hope that by DCI Championships the Cavaliers improve their marching show. There are definitely great moments but overall the marching show needs a few more of the great drill moves that we've come to expect from them. If this happens, I feel that we could be seeing the development of one of the best drum corps ever seen.

Interested in hearing your responses and opinions!!

you know, I have yet to hear them in Competition, and I can't wait. I know that our hornline in '91-'92 weren't that great.....we consistently placed below 4th-5th. However, during the Memorial Camp weekend when I just heard the Opener, I was really amazed. 4 Days until DCM.

However, I have a judges tape from Finals '92. The Judge just went on to say how the Hornline compliments the Guard and how the Guard compliments the Hornline, but he was amazed how how GOOD the hornline really was!!! He just talked for 2 minutes on how good the hornline was....kind of interesting. WOULD love to hear what they are saying this year!

Thanks for that review!!!!

Wow , ' can't wait to see and hear the Cavaliers ! It sounds like either multiple standing ovations or as the earlier post said, lots of people with their mouths open in awe! It does raise my expectations level a lot when I hear these reviews about the " best ever ", but on the other hand they are undefeated and there is so much talk coming out of the Cavalier Quarters about how good they are, that I can't wait for the Championships in Madison !

DC Oldtimer, excellent observations. I was gonna post something on this but didn't want to put a damper on everyone's fun with the Cavies this year. :) First off, the hornline is amazing and they do not disappoint when people see them live! But DC Oldtimer hit the nail on the head with the drill. Everyone is talking about their amazing visual program and how this year they are the best ever and I'm afraid that it will raise expectations for some too high. I think that's why the person sitting next to me in Michigan City was disappointed in their show. Although the drill is amazing and vintage Cavaliers, they aren't doing anything groundbreaking (it's hard for one of the best in the biz to top themselves, after the last two years especially). They are also missing that one drill move to top off the show. I suspect it's coming with the new ending........ I hope? If not, what they have is still more than adequate! Although the music is where it's at for this corps, this year. Wonderful development of the Frameworks theme!

Gellio, I thank you kindly for those great words. and I Love the Scouts in '88-'95....I'm glad that we all can come together!!! Welcome to DCP, and I hope that we can someday meet as midwestern Brothers!

I was at the Frankfort, IL show and enjoyed the heck out of the music. I admit that during the performance I was almost overwhelmed with everything happening in the show and being a drummer I watch the battery a lot and sometimes miss other things going on. However, when Cavaliers came back on to do the victory concert I really listened to the music. I liked it even better. In my opinion they have a very mature sound in the brass line. To define that I would say that the balance, dynamics, intonation, and overall quality of sound is excellent throughout the line and throughout the whole show. I suspect that this is also what the judges are rewarding them for. A friend of mine said that Phantom Regiment has a much more demanding horn book (I haven't seen them yet) and that may be true but I think the individual talent of the musicians combined with a very effective music selection is what is separating Cavaliers brass section from the rest of the corps this year.