Kalamazoo Show

b**bs Well ,,I guess all the hoopla is over. Never expected all this from just a post..but all enjoyable to read!!!! Well , see you all at Finals ,,, Just look for the guy in the stands ,,that posted a "sorta review" ,, :silly: . Won't post anything for Worlds,, cause I probably know what I'd be posting if some things haven't change since K-zoo! So,,have fun the rest of the shows and Worlds. Thanks for the support on the post from everyone ,,,for and against!! Workenstiff.

1960-1963= Berwyn Blue Knights (ill) sorta class C today,, drums

1963-1970= Skokie/Chicago Vanguard ,,,drums, guard.

1971-1980= U.S Army , Honor Guard, and C.I.D.

2000-2001= Drove for Madison , half way thru tour to Finals.

Bye

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, all...

I'm the dad of a fine young woman in Glassmen. I read the review and if I hadn't attended rehearsals, shows, and talked to my daughter about the show, I wouldn't understand the show, either. True, the music is a bit obscure, and the theme is hard to grasp at first but after several years of winter drumline (talk about obscure themes?), I can say that it truly grows on you. Glassmen's show like many others has evolved during the season and it has only gotten less obscure. I now find it entertaining and I was truly awestruck by the simultaneous, spontaneous standing ovation given to Glassmen by the audience at the Kalamazoo contest (I'm going to be positive here and write those standing were entertained). Sure, I'm biased.

Apart from the actual music and the corps perfoming, I truly think this a very poorly run event. When the show first started, the ushers did not know to stop people from going down to find their seats. In fact, I told an usher, who was sitting, to get up and stop people. While an announcement was made, people were still getting up and people were still going down to their seats throughout the contest. The ushers should have stopped people before a corps was asked if they were ready. I realize this show was pretty much run by WMU, but there is no excuse for this. The show was well publicized in the local media and sure, a lot of people had no idea what was expected because they had never attended an event, but after announcements had been made, it's common sense that takes over. Some of the blame has to go those who chose the venue.

The venue has to be one of the most claustrophobic stadiums I've seen. The ailes are narrow, and the tunnel under the main stands is really not made to handle crowds. It makes me wonder about what happens during football games? So, what happens is large backups at portals, people stacking up in the ailes, and general anxiousness about getting back/leaving seats. Great barbeque, though! :-)

What's cool about this whole thing is that the kids are having fun. My daughter was so happy to see all the family and friends who came to see her. And, I was happy to see her and her corps mates perform their best to a crowd who at least on the surface, liked what they heard/saw.

Y'all be happy,

Glass Dad

As predictable as ever !! Actually, no, you really dont have the right.....you can say as you wish of course, truly confirming the character traits you revealed previously.....but then again, we can all wait patiently for you review becasue, you will be attending so many shows, and contributing so much to the activity and the readers of DCP....right ??

So...where did ya' march again ?? Inquiring minds wanted to know

~G~

So, do you have to have marched somewhere to have an opinion that matters? Guess I should just bugger off then, eh?

The venue has to be one of the most claustrophobic stadiums I've seen.  The ailes are narrow, and the tunnel under the main stands is really not made to handle crowds.  It makes me wonder about what happens during football games?  So, what happens is large backups at portals, people stacking up in the ailes, and general anxiousness about getting back/leaving seats. 

I agree. I'm not going to attend this show again, if they insist on having it at this stadium. To be honest, I'd prefer a dome show. That's saying a lot--I hate dome shows.