Kalamazoo Show

OK, I'm done, and I apologize to all that I've offended. I will point out, however, that the freedom to express one's opinion doesn't just rest with the reviewer, but also those who read the reviews -- and feel the need to comment.

I'm sorry to WorkingStiff for picking on your review. I just get my dander up, sometimes, when I read such critical comments about some of the world's greatest drum and bugle corps. When I read that you decided to take a pit stop in the middle of the Glassmen's show because you just didn't get it -- well, that kind of set me off.

Please know that I haven't found the G-men to be very approachable in recent years either, but I try to understand and appreciate. I haven't found any of those performances to be so terrible that I needed to leave. The kids still play and perform well, even if we don't like what they're trying to perform.

On that note, I'd like to also just add that we all are in agreement that the kids are working very hard to do what they do. But we all need to keep in mind that the staffs and management teams are doing the same -- and many of them are not getting paid that much to do it either. They're all trying to do what's right for their organization. I agree, it doesn't always work, and you're free to comment as such. However, please know that they're spending all that time creating, writing and teaching the show. I don't think any of them would design something that they thought would cast a poor image on their corps. Their efforts should be worth something too.

As I've said, you are entitled to your opinion, and I do appreciate your expression of thoughts. I'm sorry that I took such offense.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'm done, and I apologize to all that I've offended. I will point out, however, that the freedom to express one's opinion doesn't just rest with the reviewer, but also those who read the reviews -- and feel the need to comment.

I'm sorry to WorkingStiff for picking on your review. I just get my dander up, sometimes, when I read such critical comments about some of the world's greatest drum and bugle corps. When I read that you decided to take a pit stop in the middle of the Glassmen's show because you just didn't get it -- well, that kind of set me off.

Please know that I haven't found the G-men to be very approachable in recent years either, but I try to understand and appreciate. I haven't found any of those performances to be so terrible that I needed to leave. The kids still play and perform well, even if we don't like what they're trying to perform.

On that note, I'd like to also just add that we all are in agreement that the kids are working very hard to do what they do. But we all need to keep in mind that the staffs and management teams are doing the same -- and many of them are not getting paid that much to do it either. They're all trying to do what's right for their organization. I agree, it doesn't always work, and you're free to comment as such. However, please know that they're spending all that time creating, writing and teaching the show. I don't think any of them would design something that they thought would cast a poor image on their corps. Their efforts should be worth something too.

As I've said, you are entitled to your opinion, and I do appreciate your expression of thoughts. I'm sorry that I took such offense.

I just get my dander up, sometimes, when I read such critical comments about some of the world's greatest drum and bugle corps. When I read that you decided to take a pit stop in the middle of the Glassmen's show because you just didn't get it -- well, that kind of set me off.

Get over it...everybody isn't going to like everything and who has the right to tell them otherwise? We don't live in a society of controlled thought.

I too have seen Glassmen this year, and I can't say I blame him. Workenstiff, I appreciate your candidness. I am quite pleased to see people come to your defense on this issue, and I certainly hope you don't feel the need to leave.

And for anyone to assume that those of us that HAVE marched somehow have forgotten that it's all about the kids, is somewhat condescending and offensive. I busted my butt out on a practice field 6, 8, 10 hours a day for 3 summers as well. I don't discredit the work ethic of any of the marching members. Show design and enjoyablity is NOT, I repeat, NOT the member's fault!! Some people need to get over themselves...quit trying to be mom or dad to the rest of us.

Hmmmm ,, I'm back again..maybe I'm hooked. I wasnt offended by anything said about what i posted. Its just a review, and what i thought at the time i saw the shows. Its not like it will change anything. Just to set the record straight though.,, I didn't comment on the Glassmens show after I left. It wasnt that I didnt get it...I just didn't like it,, so I walked ,,,just as I would have in a movie theater or anything else I didnt care to watch out. Also I didnt just get up from the middle of the stands and walk, I wouldn't do that .I was at the top row , no one behind me ,,and i just stood up and ,,well took care of business. I wasnt enjoying the part that i did see/hear,,so why not. When I left when the X-men came on ,,I was able to see their show from the top of the stands, so thats why I commented about that one. I also forgot to mention that I dont like what i see in alot of corps guards that jump, spin, summer salt ,,hmm well you know what i mean spelling wise, and do all this tumbling junk,,with nothing in their hands. Its just that some members of the guards just cant do these Olympic tumbling routines ,,for what ever reason,,and I think it really detracts from the guard shows in general. Like people let loose to tumble around while the corps is marching or doing semi military moves etc. Not the kids fault,,,but I would look at my guard,,like i have one,,and adjust it to them as a whole and not just ,,well this is what we are doing as a whole for GE effect whether some members look good doing it and some just don't. I watched one corps Div 1 ,,and about three guard members had agonizing expressions on their faces, when certain moves came about ,,and it made me feel bad for them. Yeah yeah ,,theres a standard to go by and if they are in the guard there are good enough i guess,,, but thats not the point.

I so agree with whoever mentiond in some review about the sun and the trains at the stadium. They should have reversed the field and played to the other side ,,with us on that side of course. My face feels like a pop-tart fresh out of a toaster. Good stadium for sound etc. crappy for getten around , from top to bottom and behind the stands also. ONE last thing,,,,I bought tickets at the stadium 4 days before the show,,and i was told the only seats left for 5 people in a row was 6 rows up from the field, 45 yard line, everything higher was not available. This where my gripe with DCI comes in ,,amoung a few other hundred things. If you were at the show and looked up in the stands,,you know where I would go with this,,blah blah etc. if I was to go on. Bye

Ok. Somebody help me out here. I'm a little confused. Workenstiff writes a review. To my count, there are 14 posters above that said they liked or appreciated Workenstiffs review. I appreciated it. Even though I may not agree with a lot of it. The point I'm raising here is.. where in this thread, other than a single solitary poster, Mike Ferlazzo, that would make this reviewer seem like he thinks he's beseiged with attackers of his review ? What am I missing ? Who here has been trying to stifle what workenstiff has said ? Where in this thread is it ? Has it been deleted ? From what I could gather from reading the responses to his review, his review had almost universal acceptance from posters here who replied to his review. If there is any ganging up or stifling of thought, it seems to me that Workenstiff has not been subjected to that at all here. What am I missing from posters above that have allegedly tried to stifle speech here ? Because frankly, I'm not seeing it. Even Mike Ferlazzo 's reply seemed rather innocuous to me and was not said in a grossly attacking way, in my opinion. So what gives ? Why should Workenstiff feel beseiged ? Was there a horde of attackers of his review that has been deleted ? Maybe that would explain it. But from what's available in the thread replies above, I don't see it at all from reading this entire thread. So I'm not sure what gives here. And I'm new to this board this month too, so bear with me.

Edited by Lieut. General Effect

My understanding is that DCI review section was set up for DCP members to give honest and informative feedback on shows they have attended, not to prop up the self esteem of the little hothouse flowers who populate DCI today.

Anyone who criticizes a reviewer for giving their honest opinion on the basis of the possibility of someone's little kid getting their feelings hurt should perhaps patronize some other area of DCP where candid comments are not valued.

Freedom of speech is sometimes messy, as we have witnessed daily in the OT Forums.  Besides I think you are shortchanging the performers in DCI if you think the observations of has beens and never wases' like ourselves matter a bit to them.  I certainly never went into suicidal depression over criticisms of my corps when I marched in DCI. (Of course there wasnt much of it! B) )

Good point. And this extends to the Mike Ferlazzo's of the world as well if he wants to tell the reviewer if he thinks his review is not to his liking as well. Mike could have just as easily said he thought Workenstiffs review was bullcrap and have been just as " honest " and just as" free " to do so. That, we can all agree on, correct ?

Edited by Lieut. General Effect