Kalamazoo Show

Someone might take offense.

Like the influx of band booster types infiltrating drum corps who run souvie booths featuring top ten reasons to be in band t-shirts and such.

Edited by stockman365

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the reason people have so quickly come to the defense of a poster is because many of us have been around since the inception of DCP (or d*mn near close to it) and have seen many people get told what a horrible person they were for not presenting a glowing review of each and every show...deeming it offensive to the "kids". And yes, I"m aware that that was a run-on sentence...

OK. As long as we're clear that Workenstiff was not beseiged by criticism on this thread at all. Quite the contrary. And that it was more a case of some posters overreacting pretty substantially to some previous slights they may have felt in year's past. Maybe from posters who have left the activity or simply this board discussion. Who knows. But thanks for clarifying why some posters here seemed to overreact to essentially non existent criticism that was in any way over the top with Workenstiffs review here.

Edited by Lieut. General Effect

Thanks for your review! I, too, appreciate the honesty. :)

I have had the "pleasure" of marching the past two years to come home and read some of these reviews

I've read both the good and bad. To be honest I did like reading the "warm and fuzzy" reviews better. Yet, I appreciated the frank and honest ones more.

If your worried about a kid coming home to read a review of their show in which ONE FREAKIN PERSON said, "I thought corps x sucked major donkey balls". You have A LOT more to worry about than his dissapointment. I would be worried as to why the kid spent a summer with drum corps and can't accept criticism

Whoever posted this review is perfectly entitled to the opinions he presented. 

I am equally entitled to say that it was the stupidest review I've ever seen of anything.

That said, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

As predictable as ever !! Actually, no, you really dont have the right.....you can say as you wish of course, truly confirming the character traits you revealed previously.....but then again, we can all wait patiently for you review becasue, you will be attending so many shows, and contributing so much to the activity and the readers of DCP....right ??

So...where did ya' march again ?? Inquiring minds wanted to know

~G~

Ok , i just got back from K-ZOO show. I am not a pro poster , nor do i claim anything else. I'm just a guy who went to drum corps show. Here's what I thought:

Now you've gone and done it Ollie! Your comments have generated quite a stir! Hey, don't appologize for a lack of expertise. There are a lot of us who are just fans of good marching and music who are turned off...or at least down by what seems to be the pursuit of esoteric programs to please the sophisticates (judges and designers). And, it seems every escalation in membership, design intricacy and instrumentation means throwing more money at the field, leaving the traditionalists and financial have-nots institutionalized at the bottom rungs of the activity.

My brief stint in a service corps goes back to the 50's with no-valve bugles. There have been a lot of good changes but some have gone too far. I've had sons, daughters-in-law and now grand kids in the activity since the mid 60's. I used to buy every record, tape or cd of finals until the mid 90's when I realized they weren't playing music anymore. It was blurps bleeps and blats to match some whiplash drill. Maybe some day we'll learn to love those amplified narrations if they tell us what we should be appreciating.

In the meantime, I think there's a lot of folks in the stands that feel the same things you express. Perhaps it's time for a reality-check negative caption to be added to the judging sheet...something like "General Defect"... evaluated by "just a guy who went to a drum corps show".

Now you've gone and done it Ollie! Your comments have generated quite a stir! Hey, don't appologize for a lack of expertise.  There are a lot of us who are just fans of good marching and music who are turned off...or at least down by what seems to be the pursuit of esoteric programs to please the sophisticates (judges and designers). And, it seems every escalation in membership, design intricacy and instrumentation means throwing more money at the field, leaving the traditionalists and financial have-nots institutionalized at the bottom rungs of the activity.

My brief stint in a service corps goes back to the 50's with no-valve bugles.  There have been a lot of good changes but some have gone too far.  I've had sons, daughters-in-law and now grand kids in the activity since the mid 60's.  I used to buy every record, tape or cd of finals until the mid 90's when I realized they weren't playing music anymore.  It was blurps bleeps and blats to match some whiplash drill.  Maybe some day we'll learn to love those amplified narrations if they tell us what we should be appreciating.

In the meantime, I think there's a lot of folks in the stands that feel the same things you express.  Perhaps it's time for a reality-check negative caption to be added to the judging sheet...something like "General Defect"... evaluated by "just a guy who went to a drum corps show".

Welcome.

Don't forget to sign the petition !!

~G~

This is classic!! Great review. I love DCP for all the information I am able to get, but too many of the posts are partronizing love ins that are quite boring.......obviously workenstiff's (sp) post does not fall into that category. I especially loved his comment about snippets of songs. There is no reason why a corps can't accomplish the "esoteric" program as another poster commented and also lay it in your face for the "layman". I am sure Boston could do more than 2 counts of Conquest to satisfy the layman and still have plenty of show left to impress all the music professors in audience. I can feel myself starting to get off topic, so I'll preempt. Great review.