Review of Dubuque Show

Dubuque Iowa 7-10-02

I have to say first that due to the early start time of the Dubuque show, I was unable to see the Colt Cadets, although I was told their show was awesome and very much improved over last year. Great job Colt Cadets and I'm looking forward to seeing you in Dekalb and Ankeny.

Americanos- I missed the opener of this show, but the rest I saw, and I have to say they had a very nice horn sound, a very nice drill, and a lot of enthuisiasm. I really liked this show. Guard seemed a little off, but that might be wind related.

Blue Stars- First time I have seen them this year, and I really like the 3 decades show. Kind of a tribute to the last 38 years of the Blue Stars. Very nice show, great music, fantastic horn line-they sound much larger than they are. Some great moves on the field-it was nice to see some old style moves. Guard had some problems, but most of them were related to the strong winds that hampered this show.

Racine Scouts- I really wish this corps had performed earlier-before Blue Stars. They weren't bad for only having 23 marching members-plus 7 auxilary stationed on the left side of the field. The music performance was a little weak in the horn line, percussion did a nice job, and 3 guard members were a little off-probably because of strong wind. I think at least 2 of the members were under the age of 10, and they all seemed like they were really enjoying themselves.

Capital Regiment- Wow- I was definitely impressed with this show. I could definitely see this corps making semi-finals. First off- I have to mention how impressed I was with their guard. There were very strong winds during their performance, but their guard had very few drops or misses. They have obviously been very well instructed. They are marching approximately 40 horns this year, yet their sound was getting close to a full size horn line. I would really like to see this corps go to Division I in the near future. I really think they can be a top 12 contender. Very nice percussion line as well.

Glassmen- What happened? This must have been one of the worst performances of the year. This is probably one of the worst guards I have ever seen. Flag work was terrible, 2 members didn't even look like they knew the drill. And these were NOT wind related problems, these were technical issues. They looked a little better 2 weeks ago in Bloomington/Normal. The music is nice and is starting to grow on me, unfortunately, that drill is not clean at all. The side-running formations are not clean at all, the lines were not straight, and there is just a little too much squatting. Although the music and drill is very difficult, the execution just was not there tonight. I don't know where the judges were tonight, but this looks like one of those scores that was tabulated before the corps eve went on the field. 81.65??? This show shouldn't have received a 75 tonight. Nice sound, although a few phasing problems tonight.

Pioneer- I really feel bad for the small corps having to follow large corps. Oliver is nice music, although not very difficult. The benches do look nicer now that they are painted-kind of a barn red color. One problem is that the paint is getting scratched, and when the benches are in an upright position they don't look very nice. Nice effect with the benches in the heart, although the rest of the time they are kind of annoying. The drum break is nice, but the horn line is hiding in the back behind the benches for most of it. I hope they put some drill in there-the potential is there. I do love the new pants- the black looks so much nicer than the tan pants from last year!!! I don't see this show making top 21 this year, since alot of the division II corps are so strong.

Southwind-Definitely one of the most improved corps from the start of the season. I was not extremely impressed in Bloomington, but this show is starting to grow on me. Probably my favorite Southwind music of the last 4 years, nice hornline, nice drumline, good sound. Guard had some problems with the wind.

Cavaliers-Oh My God-This show is absolutely amazing!!!!!!! I can't see any major flaws with this show. The show is solid, the drill is fast paced and clean, the guard is fantastic. The last 15-20 years or so, I have always been amazed at the Cavaliers drill, and this year they have stepped it up a notch. I like the music more every time I hear it, and it is played so well. The blocks weaving in and out of each other is extremely effective. The guard uniforms are really awesome(although I have to say here that most of my friends do not like these) I really think they fit the theme of the show. They are kind of a gray spandex like material, with flourescent stripes forming blocks on them. Very nice, especially when used with the flags with the color blocks matching the stripes on the uniform. I think that this may be one of their best horn lines ever, and the percussion-like always-is extremly effective. Very interesting use of props during the chant. Very effectively used. This show is so clean, especially for the level of difficulty. 87.95 may be a little on the low side. The only thing wrong with this show- it doesn't last long enough!! I could have watched this show 25 times and still wanted more!

Colts- I felt bad for the Colts-following Cavaliers- but tonight they really held their own. Let's start with their guard- definitely their best guard I have ever seen. They are so clean. And when they have everyone on rifles, it is awesome, really nicely done! And the young women seem really comfortable on weapons- not something that has ever really been the Colts strong point. The music this year is nice, better than the last 2 years, but not as impressive as 99, but the hornline and drumline execute better than I think I've seen in the last 10 years. Formations were clean and timing was really on tonight. I think their performance was much better than the Glassmen tonight, and I don't usually think so. I think this show has definite top 12 potential, but with the quality of the 10-17th place corps this year, it is going to be extremely difficult to make it into finals.

All in all a wonderful night. Such a great mix of DI,DII, and DIII corps, with lots of variety of music and styles. Weather was a cool around 60 degrees, with a strong wind that blew pretty much during all the corps. Had a great seat on the 50, in row X at the top of the stadium, with a backrest of the press box. Thanx Dubuque for such a great show!

Eric

THanks for the review, can't wait for Saturday!!!!!