Riverside, CA review...

well, im just writing a little mini-review tonight for a few reasons. First, im at kinko's right now and its by the minute that im on here! :lol: second, i was WAY too excited to see the shows tonight to be spending time taking notes on the shows...i just wated to enjoy. so heres some random thoughts...

I was driving in from AZ today so i got in a little late and missed Alliance and Oregon Crusaders.

now....

Mandarins: Other drum corps greatest hits? Im not sure how this show exactly fits together. They opened with the Cadets 97 opener, then moved into a segment from Blue Knights 2000. THe hornline was very good, as was the guard. But, IMO, as usual the visual program is lacking. The drill wasnt very intense and the technique seemed sloppy.

Impulse: had a few good gags, and a lot of poorly designed moments. the wanna be Phantom moments were pretty funny, and the ending ( i wont say what it is...but the VERY end) is also pretty cool. In between there is a lot of messy drill and poorly written transitions (especially with the guard).

Blue Devils B: For such a small corps they sure put out some sound! they were pretty clean visually, a nice brass sound, and an awesome drumline. they were the stars of the show. they threw down some notes!

Esperanza: This corps is coming up so fast! The new uni's look great and theyve got a great show to break them in on! Nice sound, pretty well designed....EXCELLENT GUARD (duh, look at their winter program). This was a very cool show, just needs to be cleaned. I think they were somewhat lucky to have gotten by Vanguard Cadets tonight.

Vanguard Cadets: WOW! This is a fantastic and DIFFICULT show! The music is intense, the tempo's are high, and the drill is HARD. This drill is seriously Div1 material...something along the lines of a Colts or Carolina Crown. Once this baby gets cleaned they are REALLY gonna be killer. BTW, this was the only show to get a standing-O right away. Impulse got one too after the announcer kinda prodded the fans to get off their hands. Oh, and on another note, when SCVC came on the field the announcer read the program notes for Santa Clara A corps...oops...

:lol:

Pacific Crest: First, the show concept in and of itself is pretty intriguing. the Cirque du Soleil music is very unique and cool. the hornline had a big, and generally nice sound, some big in-your-face moments. THe drumline sounded pretty clean ( to my non-drummer ear), and the guard had some VERY nice and effective silk work. Again this year, which has been their problem in the past IMO, the drill is the weakness. The design is hard to read, and the guard is clumped around the outside alot. Literally, the drumline is just a line sliding back and forth from side 1 to side 2 and back again. very little variety. Overall a good show though. If this corps would get a new visual designer and tour, they could make some serious waves in Div 1.

Blue Knights: This show is MUCH better than that 2001 fiasco, however its obvious they are still feeling the effects of that show. They havent returned to the level achieved in 99-00. A better and more difficult show design than PC, but not as clean. Its got very different but intriguing music, but it really needs to be cleaned and add some effect. The drill is well written and there are LOTS of visual things happening as far as body movement. THe highlight for me was during hte ballad where the hornline is in 2 arcs with the guard moving around the members. VERY COOL...the rest of the show needs to be cleaned or they will go a 2nd year without a saturday night performance.

Seattle Cascades: WHOA! Sleeper corps of the year right here. I remember in preseason the word on the Scades was that they could probably make semis again but definitely not finals....well think again folks. This IS a finals show, i have no doubt about it. It is SO well designed, the music is exciting, the drill is amazing, and they are performing the h### out of it. GREAT hornline sound!!!! I cannot stress that enough! Some great guard moments, but some needs to be cleaned also. I now see why this show beat Madison. They are a finals caliber corps.

Blue Devils: Wheres the GE?! The show is very well performed from a brass and guard perspective. Drums im not too sure about since im not a drummer...but the visual program is so far behind that of SCV's or even the Cascades. The guard has some amazing work, although too much dancing in my opinion, but i dont feel that the staging really shows that off. The brass has some REALLY loud moments that got the crowd going. Ill have a better perspective on the show after tomorrow night, but the visual program really left a void in the show. The ending im sure will be re-worked musically and visually, and that alone will make me like the show more. Maybe im alone on this one, or maybe not (they didnt get a full standing-o from the crowd)...but hopefully they make some changes to that drill.

Santa Clara: This show is SO complex and amazing. The music is not your typical music (big shocker coming from SCV, huh?). But its in-your-face and challenging. The visual program is absolutely beautiful! The drill is wonderfully designed, the guard has intense and effective work (although it needs to be cleaned), and there are some great impact points. The ballad has a REALLY cool impact with the guard using double purple flags...but my friend tells me that those silks are not the permanent ones. The very very ending drill is anti-climactic, but thats one of the things thats gonna be changed before San Antonio she says. The brass is not as clean as BD's but its just as loud and powerful. The percussion (especially the pit) has some awesome parts too. This show just has so much complexity and room to grow, it even had my Cavie alumn friend "oohing" and "ahhing" I like the new unis a lot more after seeing htem in person. They are VERY cool, and i really like the brigher green. Also there was quite a nice reaction when scores were announced. I stood right in front on ground level for the victory concert. i love that feeling when its SOOOO loud that you couldnt hear yourself screaming!

I also felt sickly jealous after tonight that i wasnt marching

:( what i would give to march one of these awesome shows (especially SCV!)...

AWESOME SHOWS TONIGHT!! 3 more to go!

Seattle Cascades: WHOA! Sleeper corps of the year right here. I remember in preseason the word on the Scades was that they could probably make semis again but definitely not finals....well think again folks. This IS a finals show, i have no doubt about it. It is SO well designed, the music is exciting, the drill is amazing, and they are performing the h### out of it. GREAT hornline sound!!!! I cannot stress that enough! Some great guard moments, but some needs to be cleaned also. I now see why this show beat Madison. They are a finals caliber corps.

Where do you think this corps will end up? Have any predictions?

10th or 9th maybe? B)

Where do you think this corps will end up? Have any predictions?

10th or 9th maybe? B)

I think Scades are looking at 12th or 13th.

It's NEVER easy to crack into the top 12.

LOVE THIER MUSIC!!!!

"I think Scades are looking at 12th or 13th. It's NEVER easy to crack into the top 12. LOVE THIER MUSIC!!!!"

Your right it's never easy, and this show isn't easy. With the way these kids execute and perform this show I can easily see them in 9th or 10th at nationals.

Keep up the good work Cascades!

All I have to say is this: the Cascades will be in the top 10. simple as that. They may be the new kids on the block for Division 1. But they have on thing going for them : Thats the hunger and the desire to be a top 10 Corps. Thay will do it.

Cascades Parent :D

Believe me!

I wish Scades all the luck in the world.

I would love to see them in top 10.

Keep working hard!!!!!

All I have to say is this: the Cascades will be in the top 10. simple as that. They may be the new kids on the block for Division 1. But they have on thing going for them : Thats the hunger and the desire to be a top 10 Corps. Thay will do it.

Cascades Parent :D

Wow, top 10 huh ?? CAn you tell me tonights lottery numbers too ??

~G~

I thought Seattle had a phenominal show. It blew me away both nights (Riverside and Glendora). BD had us on our feet several times during their show and left me exhausted, unbelievable.

I am a novice to D&BC, have had some contact in recent years with Winterdrumline and mostly Marchingband competitions. I don't claim to understand the judging orwhatever but know what I like and what moves me. All 3 of the division 1 finalists did, just more so Cascades and Blue Devils. I am of course partial to Impulse, but found the Mandarin program great.

I know that the Impulse program is unconventional and seems to go more to entertain rather than impress but the audience seemed to agree that they were indeed entertained. I await eagerly growing with Corps and getting to know the very talented and dedicated musicians associated with ALL the shows.

Dad

Impulsive Dad,

Thanks for the support and the nice comments about The Cascades. I think they are a great organization. this is my son's 2nd year touring with the corps.

It has done great things for him. I follow almost all the same things you follow evan tho my son is a brass player he still performed in the winter drumline. Again I still believe that they will be in the top 10. and for the guy who wants tonights Lottery numbers: 7 12 56 17 49

A very proud Cascade Parent :D