DCM Reveiw

Just got off the phone with a great friend whose dad is a DCI Judge. They are giving me a ticket for tonight's performance, so I will be under the press box, between the 45's.

I still don't know if I will actually do review or not, but you never know. I'm so excited!!!!! YAY......dang, what to wear..what to wear...OH, I'll wear my DCP SHIRT!!!! What a way for someone to find me!!!!

Well, I wasn't going to do one, but I will attempt to give you my humble, honest opinion of what I saw/thought of all the corps performing last night at DCM.

I got to DeKalb around 2pm. Ran into my friends from Pioneer, who in turn gave me choice seats, thanks to their Dad, a DCM/DCI Judge. I was sitting in row 63, seat 1, Sect D. In other words, just in front of the Judges, on an aisle, on house right between the 40-45. now onto the shows....

Div III

Blue Stars: 59.45

Americanos: 58.33

Did not see either of these corps

Senior

MN Brass: 72.95

Governaire's: 57.90

I actually just missed the Kilties performance. I got to Dekalb right at 2pm, and as I was walking up to the stadium, I could hear a corps playing, but didn't know who it was. As I soon found out, the Kilties were marching off the field. It was great to see Stef, and meet Frankbeme, Annabelle, and a couple of other people.

I only got the chance to watch the Governaire's during Finals, and they were rather entertaining. Lots of people in the stands, at least were I was sitting, were clapping along with their music. Kind of fun

MN Brass looked great, very Blue Devilish I thought, and were HUGE. Right of the bat they were non stop playing, and the sound coming from them was marvelous!!! I can't wait to see them again, and I hope I get the honor to see them again!

Div I

The Cavaliers............ 88.85

Phantom................... 82.75

Glassmen.................. 88.55

Bluecoats.................. 80.95

Colts......................... 76.25

Madison Scouts........ 73.55

Southwind................ 68.15

Pioneer..................... 63.85

Pioneer:

Well, much smaller corps than I was expecting. I heard a review from Roman Blenski Jr, and so I already had an opinion of the show. Just like he said, "Show needs lots of work". "Great morale from the corps though, but show needs to change." 'nough said.

Southwind:

I was completely impressed with Southwind this year. For one thing, their uniforms remind me of my HS band uniforms, excpet we had navy blue diamnond on the front. I was impressed, and I think Southwind set the standard for the night.

Madison Scouts:

The only thing that I am going to say, is that Madisons sound/volume is there, but needs a lot of work. Of course they are the crowd favorite, but it was just sad to watch the marching. One thing that I didn't understand, the guard comes out in these Spanish Army outfits, and does a little thing during the warm-up, then takes them off and never uses them for the rest of the show....I will say that the warm up was FANTASTIC....but they need to work on the show and marching basics for the rest of the show. I was very disappointed in their performance. Even for my untrained ear!

Colts:

Ok, I'll just saw that this isn't the same Colts that I remember. WOW, Full dark rich sound coming from the Colts tonight. I really enjoyed it, and actually had a few goose bumps...(or was that the girls hair next to me doing that to me...) anyway, GREAT SHOW...can't wait to see them in the hunt!!!

Bluecoats:

I became a Bluecoats fan in '95, and have been sad to see that they haven't been able to keep up with the Glassmen. However, the Bluecoats have been working hard, and it shows by their performance. I am sure that this young kids are feeling good that they are beating Madison Scouts!

Glassmen:

I don't know why people are saying this show is Boring! In my honest opinion, it is far from it! The show may not have any true OMG moments, but I was thoroughly entertained!!! This corps has surely matured through the years, and I am looking forward to seeing them in the top 5-6. I think if they keep at it, they could be a corps to look out for in the top 4. They did have the best shirt I think at their Souvie stand: BORING (with a trademark symbol)

Phantom Regiment:

All I have to say is that the Phantom Regiment is back, but not in black. A few times in their show, I was sitting on the edge of my sit, waiting for that true dark Phantom Sound, which I got once, but the show still needs some work to it. Definetely a show to keep an eye on. This show has the potential, I think, of another '96 ending!

The Cavaliers:

Well, my boys in Green did us all Cavaliers proud tonight. Except for one horn falling within the first 2 minutes, the show was OMG! All I have to say is SPLOOIE!!! Everyone elses critics are right, once you realize what just happened and your mind is ready to cheer, something else is happening. From the time that I saw this show on Memorial Day weekend, till now, it's completely different. Of course I just saw the opener then, but the rest of the show is great. These kids are the ones who are running, literally. GREAT SHOW!

After retreat, I went to the busses to find a few kids that I help a little financially in the Cavaliers. I asked the one horn member what he thinks of the show, and his only words were, "It's hard!" Now this is from a 6 year member! While I was over at the busses, I was able to mingle with the kids for a time, and they really know how to make an alumni feel welcomed. I saw Jeff Fiedler, and he stopped for a brief second and said hello to me, and it was just a great feeling.

Before the show, I was able to meet Leif. Thank you for coming up to me and introducing yourself! I'm sorry I kept running off and saying hello to people (just too popular as my Pioneer friends would say)

So, there you have it, my unofficial official half witted review. I know it's not as great as all the others, but I don't do this thing well....hope you enjoy, and please feel free to comment.

I disagree with the best shirt call. That would have to be the Glassmen shirt reading: "BoringBb: we took the G out of Boring" made me laugh for a good 20 minutes.

On a side note I officially wet myself at the end of PR's show. The wedge at the end with the trademark 89 kneel brought a tear to my eye, no joke. d### I love drum corps!

Great review Sluggo! It was great meeting you too finally!! :)

Some of my thoughts:

Americanos and Blue Star--both very very improved since last time I saw them.

Govenaires: Congrats on making finals. It's a fun show, good marching technique, good color guard.

Minnesota Brass: WOW!!! I'm surprised they didn't beat Madison. This is their best corps ever!! What will they do at DCA???? Brig's and the rest of the upper echelon best beware of this powerhouse coming east!!! But why didn't they take best guard????

Madison: Yes, not a typical Madison marching performance. I was surprised at the low score of the Scouts hornline in prelims, especially after they had beaten Santa Clara's hornline a couple three times out west. They need lots of work visually--not design so much, but they need to find the style back.

Colts: Wonderful wonderful wonderful hornline!!! Great marching technique. Surprised at their low horn score in finals, but do agree with the spread on the Scouts.

Bluecoats: First viewing this year...and wow....they dazzled me! What a great hornline and overall show! Thank you!

Glassmen: Love the three boring t-shirts!!! It was great to see that they have a good sense of humor of themselves....yes, to me, they were boring....but good. Hornline just didn't do it for me tonight...drumline very good!!! They'll be in the mid-mix at DCI.

Phantom: Another wow! They were much better than two nights before in Madison--and they were very good there. The highlight---end of show wedge--the legs come out--the crowd goes absolutely nuts!!! Great show Phantom.

Side note---why is it that so much of the work of Russian composers work so well for drum corps???? It's almost as if they planned it that way sometimes.

Cavaliers---ok, this is my first "oh my gods" corps in several years. The drill---I know it would be impossible for me to march that thing at my age, much less at 17 or 18. I'm just dazzled by it....it's the best drill I've ever seen. The hornline...once again...going to Bb really helped them...the sound is so wonderful...there is a low brass chord that just gives me chills and goosebumps every time I hear it.

Will they go all the way this year?? Oh yeah, I have no doubt!!! This is the best corps I've ever seen and the best designed overall show I've ever seen. Thank you Cavies for a great audio/visual experience!!!

Was a very good weekend!

Another side note:

I competed in I & E for the first time ever as a jr or sr, and scored a 91.3!!! I was only 2.7 down from the baritone champion, so not too shabby! I played a piece I wrote that is very different than what everyone else played. Very dark, very free and yes, very loud in spots. :) I was only hoping for an 80, but I outdid myself!! And yes, I will be playing it at DCA!!! Hopefully in costume this time........

Minnesota Brass: WOW!!! I'm surprised they didn't beat Madison. This is their best corps ever!! What will they do at DCA???? Brig's and the rest of the upper echelon best beware of this powerhouse coming east!!! But why didn't they take best guard????

As a member of Brass visual staff thanks for your guard comments. All caption awards at DCM are based on prelim scores and in prelims our guard was down by .2. No undue respect to Govies, but even though guard scores are now part of the whole, they can be a bit more objective than other captions and change often depneding on the judge. In finals we were on top by a whole 2 points. All depends on the given night. We felt the guard really excelled in the final's performance regardless of score or caption award. Thanks and vote for us on DCW fan poll to crack into that top 3. let them know we're coming their way!

Joey Babay

MN Brass staff 2001-2002

Madison SCouts 1979-1981

Erie Mavericks 1972-1978

<sluggo fixed tags>

Phantom Regiment:

All I have to say is that the Phantom Regiment is back, but not in black. A few times in their show, I was sitting on the edge of my sit, waiting for that true dark Phantom Sound, which I got once, but the show still needs some work to it. Definetely a show to keep an eye on. This show has the potential, I think, of another '96 ending!

MY GAWD! is it time for Murphreesboro and Indy yet!!! I cant wait to see my boys up there.....I went nuts when I found out we pulled ahead of Glassmen for DCM finals, hope we can pull it off again.

SUTA!

Hey Sluggo!

It was nice to meet you on Saturday and I'm glad you and Steve had something in common to talk about!

I was hoping to find you after the show so I could show you the tape I was telling you about. Oh well. You'll see it soon enough.