DCM Weekend Review

Hello, all,

I feel so out of it this year. Usually by this time of the year, I've been to at least 3 or 4 shows before DCM. This summer, I am actually meeting other obligations and DCM was my first show of the season. Thought I'd try to give a short (OK, LONG--I'm verbose) review of the Finals night and any thoughts about how Div I corps changed from Friday night. Also, my first review on DCP...after years of posting elsewhere.

First, impressions of the weekend: Mostly, I was quite happy because I was able to get a hotel room in DeKalb for the first time ever! I've stayed at Holmes Student Center on NIU campus before and in Rochelle or in Aurora, and slept in a car before, but never in a motel in DeKalb. The other big impression: There were a lot of people at Prelims. I and my friend arrived during the national anthems, and the upper area was already very full! It was great to see. I have been to many DCM Prelim nights on Friday when there wasn't a large crowd until the last 3 or 4 corps. Kudos to all of the DCM fans out there!

I won't list scores--everybody's already got 'em, but I will do the review in order of placement.

Div III: Americanos--sorry, guys, I missed 'em! We took the outside ramps to get to our seats (right on 50 on row 59, so good high viewing), but had to stand in the wings during the most of this show.

Blue Star: They do such a nice job in ensemble with their personnel! Marching was designed well to highlight their instrumentation, the horn sound was solid. Was it the most warm sound I've ever heard? No, but it was confident, articulate, expressive. Big sound. Guard was very clean and work was interesting. Not really sure about the green bottom half of uniform, but overall, everything worked visually. Good show--"3 decades" works and it made us think about their role in DCI history!

Seniors: Governaires: Nice show, good crowd presence. Great that they made Senior finals in their 75th anniversary season! Lot of fun.

Minnesota Brass: Wow...I sorta miss their old sequined uniform tops, and they do look a bit Blue Devilish in their new uniforms, but all that is extraneous. Music? Phenomenal. Drill? Pretty darn good...reasonable cleaning to do, but always moving. Soloists and ensemble parts? Lots o fun! Everyone was getting off on their sops sticking their neck out for those upper registers! Guard was doing interesting stuff for the most part, but not as strong a MB guard as I remember in the past. Best thing--good selection of music! Blue Skies, A Night in Tunisia, Round Midnight (was gorgeous), I'm Beginning to see the Light (cool flags in this section), and back to Blue Skies! Jazzglorious!

Div I:

Pioneer: Really on tonight as compared to Friday night. I was so sad when I saw them on Friday. I really like the vehicle--the show design, concept, and music are good choices for them. If they had a larger hornline as in past years, they would be rocking on this show. Nevertheless, they are playing their hearts out and they use the props & staging to compensate for alack of bodies on the field. All of the staging/props reduces the amount of drill and the extent of it, however. Even so, I like the picnic tables--they work. Soloist at beginning on "Where is Love" does a really nice job, and I love the contras on "Consider Yourself"...the ballad with the tables framing a heart shape really works better than I thought it would, and I love "Who Will Buy?". Overall, much better tonight than Friday...better sound, more ensemble, better visual presence, better sell! Keep working and keep it up!

Southwind: Starting to see a trend? Southwind was oodles better tonight than Friday...almost everyone was! Everyone had more energy on Finals night than on Friday, and Southwind was no exception. Not my favorite Southwind show, but really nice. It is growing on me. Their show, Evolution, starts with JS Bach, goes to Tchaikovsky, and then to Robert Jager. And that wasn't the focus of the evolution! Much more power and control in playing on Saturday night, and the drill continued to clean it up. Lots of block forms to curvilinear and back to block as Southwind has done in the last two years. Guard is coming along ok, but I have blanked on their performance. In general, it is a good show, but it is not generating the excitement, and probably not the placement that their shows did the last two years. Nice to watch and nice to listen to. Good luck!

Madison Scouts: OK, we've all heard lots of stuff about the show, about the level of performance, and about the problems that MS has encountered of late. Here's another view of all that. Are the Scouts still one of the most anticipated corps on the field? Absolutely! When they enter the field, they generate excitement. The traditional entrance is anticipated, expected, loved, and appreciated. They give everyone goosebumps when the company file breaks unfolds to the front off the 50 and blows wind in our face! However, the "spanish" style props (helmet, shield) the guard is wearing during the entrance/warm-up look absolutely K-mart quality. The idea isn't bad (hokey, but not bad), but the props look ridiculously fake. Seems pointless if they don't even use them in the show, but thank God that they don't! Madison is playing pretty darn well, typical Madison style and their hornline is scoring reasonably well to reflect it. And the percussion is doing pretty ok, too. So where are they losing points? The answer is "where they are not performing well." The drill has some cool moves, but is not extraordinary nor does it stretch them. Some elements are typical of what I've seen from them for years, but not nearly as cohesive, difficult, or entertaining. There's lot to be cleaned in performance of the drill as well. Still have darn good spacing. They always have great spacing! Guard is getting lots of grief, and let's focus on the positive. They are improving. They are doing more ensemble stuff. Unfortunately, they are a young guard, some of whom do not look like they are really guard members. They are working very hard, but for some of them, it is not natural. Some of the uniform choices made amplify this. They fit with the silks and somewhat with the theme (don't know quite what the yellow and black fuzzy uniforms have to do with spanish conquistadors, but...), however, the uniforms don't compliment the individual physiques. But give 'em credit; they are working hard to improve--and under a lot of watchful criticism, to which I have just added. Upshot? I always enjoy Madison, have loved them for years, scores or not, and I wasn't very well entertained by this year's performance. Saturday was better musically, but not better marching or guard wise. They deserve the relative scores they are receiving, and they do need to make programmatic/instructional movement. I can easily see them not making finals in Madison, and it won't be the fault of the judges or the kids themselves.

Colts: Wow. I have, for several years, liked bits and pieces of Colts' shows, but this year, it is captivating. The music all works..."Revelations" includes a piece from Turina and three pieces by D. Gillingham. they have a rich, dark, powerful sound, and you can tell from the beginning of their show, that this is a different level of sound from any of the lower-ranked corps, Madison included. Even though MS has a great upper sound, it is still topheavy, and it is not a full rich jazz sound. Colts were the first corps to really kick it up an extra notch. Guard wise, Saturday night, they were really on. The Colts, in general, have some spacing problems, which makes the visual not as clean, but it is coming along. Moreover, it has some really nice moves. The guard's uniforms are very classy, and really amplify the corps' presence on the field with black basic uniforms and red and gold in the cape-like parts of the uniform. The flags are all beautiful and amplify the show well. Connected with the crowd and wow'ed us. The "Be Thou My Vision" gave me goosebumps, and it didn't on Friday. Great show...top 12 contender, definitely. Spread over Madison tonight was right on target.

ONe of the notes for the night...lots of beautiful flags all around in the big corps.

Bluecoats: What a sophisticated show of jazz from the Bluecoats! Urban Dances starts with the corps in the backfield corner in concentric arcs. The beginning with the various shades of flags emerging to build a rainbow of color and the sound building with the corps is a really good design. I wasn't familiar prior to the show with the music by Chris Brubek and Bjork, but it works. The guard's uniforms and work all fit the idea of "urban dances" cohesively. Loved the entire guard on rifles for a good chunk of opener! Pretty darn impressive. Hmm...now that I think of it, Colts and PR did that, too, in places!

No Tango moments, and the guard swatting the sop on the butt wasn't all that some reviews made it out to be, but it was a darn good solo. Overall, the sound of Bluecoats is a step up from Colts and Madison. A much more controlled blues and jazz sound. Maybe what Madison used to be horn-wise. Hmmm...good show that is growing on me!

Glassmen: As others have said, best t-shirt...boringBb...G-men took the g out of boring!

What a hoot! Play on those perceptions! Contrary to what I thought others have said, the show is very accessible. Maybe in many ways, that is its downfall this year. I have come to expect really deep music, and this isn't as out there as in past years. Two years ago, I think, made us all expect out there. They play very powerfully, and controlled, and this year, they march that way as well. They are starting to march like a different (read: top) level corps. Not nearly as much awkward-looking running, and the ensemble moved together well. The middle section has another beautiful ballad solo, think the same soloist as last year (but not sure), and the section right after that with the southwest rhythms, and extra percussion instruments, is captivating. The expanding ellipse into a backfield file form at the end is beautiful. Guard is good, but not as memorable as past years. The Glassmen deserve their scores, and they have a really well-done show.

Phantom Regiment: Ok, I'm loving PR this year! Loved 'em last year, and hope we're seeing a trend for them! The Shostakovich works well for them. Deep rich sound, powerful, full of energy. As always, a beautiful ballad movement in "introspection" Nice drill and placement of instrumentation that supports the sound. The percussion has not grabbed me yet overall, but the show is solid throughout. The drill is interesting and in good shape, but not as challenging as some PR drill that I have seen. It's really clean already in places. What really makes this show, though, is the guard, and the beautiful silks! What beautiful flags--which ones? All of them! The guard uniforms are perfect--the purple uniforms to start the show set the Russian flavor tone, appropriately dark to evoke the idea of "oppression". The change to the dance pants in black, purple and red work beautifully! Best of all are the sheer, reflective, white flags in the ballad. Stunning! Beginning the show with all rifles in natural woodtone was phenomenal, and the appearance of the beautiful rich purple red orange hue flags was perfect. Lots of all guard equipment work (i.e., all on the same flag) and lots of unison work fit this show to a "T". Some of the most beautiful moments on the field last night! Great show--keep adding some features, keep it clean, and keep the energy...will keep you on TV!

Cavaliers: Wow--what can I say? A lot! To be honest, when I saw them on Friday, I was underwhelmed. There wasn't a lot of energy and the drumline didn't have the best night. I left and so did my friend saying that we really liked 4 corners better. So I was waiting with baited breath on Saturday night.

Saturday night, they delivered. What a phenomenal performance, even with the horn player taking a dive in the early part of the show. Do I like Frameworks more than 4 corners? Not yet, but it will grow on me. I understand that they have changed a lot recently , and they certainly have a lot to clean still. Now, all the negative said, when the Cavies began their show, both nights, it was apparent to all that we had again jumped up a level. Nowhere in the vicinity of the other corps. In what ways? The way in which the corps marches is not only proficient, but the ensemble is extraordinary. Even when there are spacing or hit problems, the unit moves as a whole that gives a whole "other" effect to the visual program. Some of the moves are really amazing upon second viewing! Seeing a shrinking block move diagonally backfield and then as they slide it horizontally, while rotating, the layers of the block break off to form a frame. Whoa! There are lots of things I don't yet remember about the drill and won't till I see it again in a couple of weeks. Musically? Percussion rocks! Wow!!! They are throwing down some stuff. Getting darn clean. and I'm not a percussionist! Hornline--lots of interesting debate on their sound, and difficulty level. Is it difficult? Darned right it is. Is it the most memorable? Need to hear it more. Some of it is very hummable, some isn't. I do remember that the harmony section was absolutely gorgeous. The control, sustaining power, intonation and ensemble are something to behold and to hear. Some of their concert forms are gorgeous, and the rotating horns from side to side during the company front is a stunning musical effect. Some of the resolution power chords or unisons sound so rich and sonorous. If their staff keeps teaching, rehearsing, and is able to unleash them gradually, they will be a musical force as well as the visual force that they are. Guard--this year, good, but not phenomenal. the uniforms work well for the theme of frameworks! Very "Tron"-like! Some wonderful partner and unison guard flag movements, and good use of frame props. But not the guard I remember from 4 corners last year. The break dance during the drum highlighted section is really cool, and the hornline spilling into the frame is an aweing moment, and OMG moment! The horns and guard dancing ...I wanted a few beats more, it was so COOL! The ending is coming along, after the dance section, everything keeps accellerating (intensity-wise) and I think that they will continue to change the ending of the show. Definitely deserved relative score tonight! Do I like it more than 4 corners? Probably not, but I need to see it more. Is it possible to win it all? Oh, yeah. Definitely see them as champs or second, but nothing lower. They have taken drumcorps performance to another level merging visual, general effect, and musical performance in a cohesive fashion.

Overall, glad to be at drumcorps on Friday night, but was disappointed with the shows and performances at Prelim. They kicked it up on Saturday; I wasn't expecting to be wow'ed and we were!

The "God Bless AMerica" at the end of the finale was quite nice, nothing really strange musically, or captivating, but a great idea. Not having heard the new arrangement of America/O Canada, but having heard the critiques, I would rather have had this! Good feel-good family of DCM moment! All in all, Blenski and crew put together a nice 25th DCM celebration evening, and are to be congratulated as are all the kids who work so hard. But, DCM, please the 'funeral-home' hand-held fans were cheesy. As the teacher who sat behind me said, and, as a teacher of mathematics, I concur: The rulers (as bizarre as they were!) were much better gate gifts--we can use 'em with our classes!

Upshots: Cavies will be 1 or 2 at DCI World, Phantom has the most beautiful unison flag work, Glassmen's show is more accessible than given credit for, Bluecoats are sophisticated jazz that works, Colts have a great show and guard work, and Madison is not as entertaining as we want them to be nor are they proficient on the field after the entrance is over. Southwind is similar to the past, but not as exciting, and Pioneer has a great show concept, but not the personnel.

Most importantly, ALL of them are working their butts off to entertain us! They deserve our applause, and a bit of temperance in our criticisms. Ihave rambled on incessantly for a long time, so I'll stop--go see a show if you can!

Tim Hendrix,

Fan for life

Thanks Tim!!!! Great review

Really appreciate your review, and couldn't agree more with your comments about PR's guard. Best of the evening, no doubt. This may be blasphemy, but I don't see how Cavies guard gets .5 higher than Phantom. Phantom's guard doesn't just use flags - they really make a statement with them, like no other corps. And their rifle work was simply breathtaking. Easily the most impressive guard of the evening, IMO.

Really appreciate your review, and couldn't agree more with your comments about PR's guard. Best of the evening, no doubt. This may be blasphemy, but I don't see how Cavies guard gets .5 higher than Phantom. Phantom's guard doesn't just use flags - they really make a statement with them, like no other corps. And their rifle work was simply breathtaking. Easily the most impressive guard of the evening, IMO.

w/Stp:

I would have given the guard caption to PR also. They were so together on the white silks. I just unfocused my eyes to take in all the motion on the field (since it was wider than I could focus on) while they were doing their work. Flawless.

I saw a lot of dirt when the Cavies were using flags, there were small ensembles, about 6 flags per, and they were not together.

And Tim, thanks for the review and reminding me of the opening move of Bluecoats show! Remember the silks in SCV's show last year, how they went from morning colors to afternoon colors to evening colors? Bluecoats did that in reverse at the beginning of theirs, purple, indigo, blue, orange, and then finally, a single bright yellow flag made its way out of the block. Gorgeous.

Phantom's guard work has totally impressed me every time I've seen them this year. I love those ladies.... :blink:

I must agree also. I really enjoyed PR's guard. Cavies Guard just doesn't seem to be strong yet, although they do have lots to work on. I have a feeling that in San Antonio, Cadets will take top Guard, if PR doesn't.