Orlando Thoughts...

On the spur of the moment, I drove down to Orlando on Saturday morning, partly to meet my very cute friend Erin, partly to see the corps and give Regiment a second viewing.

The weather held up, I was pleasantly surprised, and I stayed at a hotel very close to the Citrus Bowl for a change...I was literally a couple of miles away, as opposed to the last 4 championship years, when I was always 30-45 minutes away.

As far as the corps go...

I got there late, and came in for Seattle's performance. I thought they were pretty good, the drill flowed well though it was a little spread out at times, the music was really good. Overall, I liked this show.

Carolina Crown was next...I really dig their opener and their closer, but that crap in the middle has got to go. No offense to any Crown people on this board, but seriously, it detracts from a GREAT show. I was amazed by the progress this corps has made, and I don't think I could have envisioned a better arrangement of Bohemian Rhapsody (who did the arrangements, BTW?) But as far as the singing goes, I could barely hear it, and the people around me were shaking their heads (I was in section 333, pretty high up). It just seemed like something thrown in at the last moment instead of a seamless transition. Based on the opener and the closer alone, I would have had them closer to both Bluecoats AND Regiment. The middle section, I feel, drags them down.

Bluecoats: WOW. I was thoroughly impressed, and thought they might beat Regiment tonight. What a great show by these kids. One question though...7 contras? How many contra holes are they marching? This show was very enjoyable, it was one of my two favourite shows of the night.

Regiment: A lot cleaner than it was at Rockford a week ago, but there is still something missing for me. It just does not reach me on a personal level yet. I like the changes, but I feel the ending happens too abruptly. Technically speaking, from a playing and marching standpoint, this is probably the most solid Phantom Regiment corps since the 1996 show, despite William Chumley's eternal low opinion of the Regiment's marching. But I just don't think the show has the necessary GE, I am sorry. I know some of you are disappointed to hear me say that, and probably feel that I am a traitor....sorry guys, it's just how I feel. Marching=Great, Musicianship=Great, Effect=eh.

Cadets: I'm not going to say anything about the Cadets. I'm not allowed to around here, because the minute I say something critical of them, it cannot be taken on its own merits, it can only be because "Nikk hates the Cadets because they beat his corps in 1994 ($1 to George) :lol: Instead, I will say only the positives I found in the show....

...their horns were shiny.

Cavaliers: I was very skeptical about this show, but they sold me. I love it. THe drill is once again quite good, and I was VERY impressed with their hornline, particularly the SOPRANOS. Well done indeed.

After having seen most of the top 12 corps (exception: SCV, have only seen them through bootlegged video and heard them on the APDs), I think as of right now I would have them ranked in this VERY OPINIONATED AND TOTALLY UNSCIENTIFIC ORDER:

1. Cavaliers

2. SCV

3. Blue Devils

4. Bluecoats

5. Regiment

6. Cadets

7. Crown

8. Boston

9. Madison

10-12: Have not seen enough of these corps, but I did like Seattle's show a lot, though I don't think they will realistically make Finals.

So there it is....flame away.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bold opinions. Thanks for those.

Thanks Nikk..I suppose we can disagree on the middle section..I can say that the amp issues are valid insofar as projection..still working on that!

To answer your question..Crown's Brass arranger is Micheal Klesch, the show coordination is by Jim Coates. Percussion arrangements are by Paul Rennick.

Cadets: I'm not going to say anything about the Cadets.  I'm not allowed to around here, because the minute I say something critical of them, it cannot be taken on its own merits, it can only be because "Nikk  hates the Cadets because they beat his corps in 1994 ($1 to George)  :lol:   Instead, I will say only the positives I found in the show....

I hereby state:

I will not respond in any manner to comments Nikk makes on DCP regarding the Cadets. He is fully free to state (within the normal guidelines of the terms of use of this site that any user accepts) his actual opinion of the Cadets and I will not comment since apparently he does not like the fact that I believe he is very biased against that corps - and that I believe his bias clouds his perspective regarding Cadets.

So that's that Nikk - you state your opinion on DCP regarding the Cadets - I will from this moment forward never comment on those opinions or comments in any regard. :)

Edited by George

Cadets: I'm not going to say anything about the Cadets.  I'm not allowed to around here, because the minute I say something critical of them, it cannot be taken on its own merits, it can only be because "Nikk  hates the Cadets because they beat his corps in 1994 ($1 to George)  :lol:  Instead, I will say only the positives I found in the show....

ouch, lol, tell us how you really feel :P

oh and the baton twirler dropped his last toss or should I say twirl :sshh:

#### Florida wind :P

I hereby state:

I will not respond in any manner to comments Nikk makes on DCP regarding the Cadets. He is fully free to state (within the normal guidelines of the terms of use of this site that any user accepts) his actual opinion of the Cadets and I will not comment since apparently he does not like the fact that I believe he is very biased against that corps - and that I believe his bias clouds his perspective regarding Cadets.

So that's that Nikk - you state your opinion on DCP regarding the Cadets - I will from this moment forward never comment on those opinions or comments in any regard.  :)

Thanks for the blank check, George, but no thanks. By the way, it is funny you think that my bias clouds my perspective....it is almost exactly how I feel about your bias (and that of the Cadet Borg). I don't think you can remove your own pro-Cadets bias enough to see when a show isn't exactly great. I, on the other hand, have often criticized my former corps if I feel their show isn't a good one. Somehow, I have trouble believing that Cadet superfans would ever do that. You included. For example, I don't think I have ever seen you say one bad thing about Cadets...so everything they do must be great. Oh well, it's just opinion anyhow. People know know me know I like all corps, as long as their shows move me (yes, that includes the Cadets, whose shows in 1984, 1985, 1987, 1992, 1993, and 2000 are some of my favourites of all time). But I'm not afraid to call a turkey a turkey. And this show is a turkey.

It's all good. There is no need for me to say anything about the Cadets, really...either I am wrong and they will win the DCI title, or I am right, and the judges will do as they do. After all, I am just some little pissant who doesn't swing any weight in the scheme of things, so why bother?

But again, thanks for the blank check, George.

By the way, it is funny you think that my bias clouds my perspective....it is almost exactly how I feel about your bias (and that of the Cadet Borg).  I don't think you can remove your own pro-Cadets bias enough to see when a show isn't exactly great. 

Yah know Nikk - I am hardly a member of the "Cadet Borg" - but whatever you want to believe is fine.

Good grief. <**>