Orlando Thoughts...

(All kidding and ribbing aside, do most fans of the Cadets really feel like this?  Do you guys really think this is one of their best shows in years?  I am very curious, because I don't think it stacks up AT ALL to their 2000, 2001, or 2003 shows).

Nikk,

I don't know if you consider me Cadet Borg or not...most here do....even though I have not mentioned their shows as being a personal favorite the past few years.

I like their show this year better than last year, but then again I thought "Malaguena" was a poor choice of music, and before that I thought "Farendole" was lame, but "Moondance" was great. I taught a corps in the 70's that did "Farendole", and I was sick of it by Christmas. I've just always disliked the tune in general.

I think parts of the Tull show are pretty good, actually, but overall I still preferred BAC and Crown.

From a performance standpoint, I think the Cadets will be right in the mix, and as for GE....they seem to hit the sheets....just not my personal favorites taste, show-wise.

The one piece I really did not think works (though it's been rewritten) is the Xmen "Both Sides Now"...I never thought of that as a great "power ballad"...more just a nice pretty song.

Not being very Borg-like....

Mike

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent the Texas weekend with Cadets and feel this year's show is better than 2001-2003. Not as good as 2000. I think the two major problems this year are the drumline is almost all rookies, and the guard has not yet found the "April zone". My feeling is that the drumline might click, but it may be too late (CA tour?), but the guard will be totally on by Finals. The brass is, IMHO, alot better than the judges are giving them credit for, and the visual is cleaner than Cavies, and just as difficult. (SCV is the cleanest, but not as difficult as the other three).

(PS: Just for the sake of perspective, I never marched Cadets, I marched (16) years in one of their competitors, so I'm no "Cadet Borg". And I'm a big Tull fan).

Well, I guess that goes to show you something about opinions. Hey, if your honest opinion is that the Cadets show this year is better than last year's or previous years, thenb cool beans. I respect that.

My opinion is that I liked last year's show a lot better, and if I am in the minority, oh well. Must make me part of the Anti-Cadet Borg, eh George? (I kid, I kid....sheesh, lighten up peeps).

Bold opinions.  Thanks for those.

The problem I have with the singing (And probaby Nikk and most others who don't like it) is that we don't feel the transition from the singing to the hornlines powerful re-entry is smooth at all. A small ensemble of brass players (Instead of singers) would be so much better. DITCH the SINGING.....MOST people don't like it.

Triple Forte

The problem I have with the singing (And probaby Nikk and most others who don't like it) is that we don't feel the transition from the singing to the hornlines powerful re-entry is smooth at all.  A small ensemble of brass players (Instead of singers) would be so much better.  DITCH the SINGING.....MOST people don't like it.

Triple Forte

SORRY FOLKS.......I am Quoting bigdaddy.....not zamalsom

Moving this to the reviews forum.

Yes, this show will finish in the top 4, more than likely top 3.  The show is that good, and the performers are that good.  No offense to your opinion, Nikk, but you are the one in the minority here.

Ugh -- I hate being part of a minority....

Frankly, I can't "get" the Cadets show this year. ::shrugs:: Something seems to be lacking this year. 2000 and 2001 had something to them that I could really get into -- these past few years, the effect has been rather....eh..... I assume they call that the "X" factor?

I guess there's some in every crowd. But like I said to you earlier, Mike -- I've seen these things in small doses -- a video clip here, an audio clip there. Perhaps come QFs time in the cinema there may be something that finally completes the circle. Who knows.......

I spent the Texas weekend with Cadets and feel this year's show is better than 2001-2003.  Not as good as 2000.  I think the two major problems this year are the drumline is almost all rookies, and the guard has not yet found the "April zone".  My feeling is that the drumline might click, but it may be too late (CA tour?), but the guard will be totally on by Finals. The brass is, IMHO, alot better than the judges are giving them credit for, and the visual is cleaner than Cavies,and just as difficult.  ](SCV is the cleanest, but not as difficult as the other three).

(PS:  Just for the sake of perspective, I never marched Cadets, I marched (16) years in one of their competitors, so I'm no "Cadet Borg".  And I'm a big Tull fan).

The visual is cleaner and MORE DIFFICULT? PUUUUH - LEEEASE! Get a grip.

You're not a "Cadet Borg?" Yeah ... right. I'm convinced.

The Horns were shiny?

Come on Nikk...tell us how you really feel. After listening to the apd, the hornline was not on its top game thats for sure.

Alright then...

The drill was sloppy. There was no "ooh!" moment like there is in Cavaliers' show (for that matter, the same can be said about Regiment...there is no visual "ooh" moment in their show either).

The marching was sloppy as well, but I've come to expect that...in fact, i have come to learn that some people actually LIKE the Cadets' "bounce step." I can't remember who it was, but it was someone on this board. who said it. I find it incredibly sloppy. I much prefer the Devils' style of marching technique.

The music was boring to me. It sounded like elevator music at times. And I'm a huge fan of Jethro Tull! I just didn't like what they did with the music. I guess my problem was that I was comparing them both to last year's version of Cadets, which I liked, and also to the Cavaliers, who immediately preceeded the Cadets.

The guard was pretty solid to me, but I'm not a guard person, so I would not be able to discuss minute details. And while the hornline had a nice sound, there were numerous intonation and articulation problems.

The pit...TOO #### LOUD. Why is the pit being amplified when the corps isn't playing? We would be able to hear the pit just fine without the amplification, especially since they are not being overplayed by the brass during their feature.

Overall, if I had to judge Cadets shows of the 2000s...it would go like this for me:

1. 2000

2. 2003

3. 2001

4. 2002

5. 2004

I know I am just an old pharte, but I just wish they would come back with a show like 1985, 1987, 1989, or 1992-1993. Man, those shows were awesome. Asides from 2000, I haven't really enjoyed many Cadets shows since that awesome 1993 show.

Oh well...cue the Cadet Borg with the whole "You just don't like the Cadets because you are anti-this and anti-that." I only wish you people would get a clue...I am not anti-Cadets. I am anti-Cadet Borg.

Long live the Resistance.