Cadets' guard on Saturday

I skimmed over this in the review:

In the (shudder) 30 minute intermission, I stood against the fence chainsmoking and watching the guard rehearse. The flag work was stunning. Of course, it always is in a tight block, but the flag design, coupled with the exposure of the book, amazed me. They are sooo talented, and now that I think about it more, they WERE off in performance. Watching the guys practice their tosses gave me chills. It looks like they're spinning 9's and 10's.. but I cannot judge it that carefully. In the show, there's a huh-UUUUGE rifle toss... the guys in the back went higher, and I don't know if that was the intention or if they just cut loose more than the other guys. (ripple or not)

Are they using 7-ft poles again? Those silks are so gloriously big (great look, par usual) that it's hard to tell. I was told by a WGI vet (Hi, Steph!) that Cavies' guard is better. Zounds!! If that's true, you'll excuse me in Indy, 'cause I'll be the pathetic drooling fool. I don't know when I began to focus on guards---i never used to---but thanks, April, etc for a terrific bunch of "kids."

I believe they were working on the end of BWBB... I'm not experienced enough to know how difficult the book is, but they seem to be all over the place and make it look effortless (that's what impresses me most). I need a full-time guard mentor to walk me through this:) :o

I need a full-time guard mentor to walk me through this :)

Tell me about it. I wish I understood the intricacies of the color guard better. I can tell the difference between average and awesome but that's about it :)

Well, my reason for posting that was because I've been quite critical of Cadets' guard over the last few years... as I wrote to a certain caption head who nearly choked me to death right through my monitor a few years ago <g>, birds pick at the best fruit. Weapons are quite cool---providing special impact points---but amazing flagwork isn't the easiest thing to find... they just make it look as though the air lifts all the silks. omg.. i think i just had a M Cesario out-of-body experience.

no, Bart....no. no, Bart....no. no, Bart....no.

w/Stp: