California Weekend

Hey eddie. . . good review, but I think you missed a couple of corps. . . how about Oregon Crusaders and Esperanza? They were at all of those shows too!

Esperanza I was really amazed at. I saw this show from on top on both Sat and Sunday. I think having a winter guard program really helps in a lot of ways. THeir guard certainly is very strong. But both brass and battery are also really tight. I really don't know how to explain what I saw exept that it was good. Top 3 contender for sure.

Oregon I only saw on the field. I was actually standing next to the instructors during the show. From my eye, I saw a young corps learning how to get off their feet. The drumline had their good moments and their bad. But from the instructors reactions, I would say that OC had a good performance... especially for the fact that one of their busses broke down on the way to Santa Ana, so they performed after all the D2/3 corps performed.

Impulse.... They are cleaning up. The I Love Lucy bit is cute. Most of my enjoyment came before the performance though, being able to hear all the small cracks the hornline was making, and being able to see the DMs facial expressions to them.

So. Cal dream....... Great job. America the Beautiful was great. I was amazed to see some of the different instruments being used. Mostly 2 valves, but I did see a single valve horn. And I believe the soloist was using a trumpet. All in all, very nice job for their first year out.

Hey eddie. . . good review, but I think you missed a couple of corps. . . how about Oregon Crusaders and Esperanza?  They were at all of those shows too!

Esperanza I was really amazed at. I saw this show from on top on both Sat and Sunday. I think having a winter guard program really helps in a lot of ways. THeir guard certainly is very strong. But both brass and battery are also really tight. I really don't know how to explain what I saw exept that it was good. Top 3 contender for sure.

Oregon I only saw on the field. I was actually standing next to the instructors during the show. From my eye, I saw a young corps learning how to get off their feet. The drumline had their good moments and their bad. But from the instructors reactions, I would say that OC had a good performance... especially for the fact that one of their busses broke down on the way to Santa Ana, so they performed after all the D2/3 corps performed.

Impulse.... They are cleaning up. The I Love Lucy bit is cute. Most of my enjoyment came before the performance though, being able to hear all the small cracks the hornline was making, and being able to see the DMs facial expressions to them.

So. Cal dream....... Great job. America the Beautiful was great. I was amazed to see some of the different instruments being used. Mostly 2 valves, but I did see a single valve horn. And I believe the soloist was using a trumpet. All in all, very nice job for their first year out.

Yeah...one of the soloists used his trumpet because one of the new guys needed a sop.

There were no single piston horns out there, but we DO have a few v/rs in good shape. There are even some 3 valve sops and a 3 valve contra.

it certainly felt like our best performance to date!

Thanks for the review!

Blue Devils - This show moves. This is one of the best written drills that they have performed in a while. Now the bad news. BD has gone for a flashy show this year, without a great deal of substance(IMHO).

while i strongly disagree with the part about the drill, i also strongly agree with the lack of substance statement.

Keep us posted on the contest this weekend.