7/15 Murray, KY Review, Critique and other Stuff

First, let me preface this by explaining my weekend to all. My in-laws live in Fredonia, KY, which is an hour from Murray. Let's see......visit the relatives over the weekend, take Monday as a "reward" for good behavior. So instead of JUST reviewing the show, let's do a review of my weekend.

Friday - 5 pm: Finally get the family loaded and off to Kentucky. Woohoo!!!

The drive up - We live in the Florence, Alabama area (the northwestern corner of the state) and there is no good way to get from here to my in-laws in Fredonia. Best route is to go to Nashville and then over on I 24......about 4 1/2 hours to the middle of nowhere.

5:15 - Just north of Florence, god opens the heavens and rain floods the roadways. Undaunted by a little thing like rain, I crawl to the interstate at 35 mph. What is normally an hour drive has now turned into a 2 hour trek. Egad!!!!

8:45 - After being rained on steadily since leaving the house, we arrive in Franklin, TN, just south of Nashvegas. Take a dinner break for 30 minutes and then back at it.

11:15 - Arrive in Fredonia, KY.......way late.

Saturday - Family stuff with the entire clan (my sister in law and family are also up for the weekend). Side note - 10 people in a 3 bedroom house is just too much. The day was capped off with dinner at a hole in the wall called Lacy's Family Restaurant in Benton, KY and their Seafood Buffet. Folks, if you're ever stuck in Benton, try this place out. I've had seafood on the Gulf Coast, East Coast and the coast of Pickwick Lake (well, no real coast there (lake in Mississippi where I grew up) but they try to have seafood....does that count?) and this spread had some of the best seafood I've eaten. No, really!! Made the hour trip there worth it. (Did I mention that my in-laws live in the middle of nowhere?)

Sunday Afternoon - Part of the family (including my wife and 12 yr. old daughter) decide to go to a water park. At $16 a head, I politely bow out and decide to take my $16 and invest it in Illinois Lottery Tickets (Big Game Drawing Tuesday night is $165 Million....yes, an investment!!!!) My father in law and I jump in the car after consulting the map and head for Illinois.

Geography Note: Did you know that in Western Kentucky, you can cross the Ohio River at Paducah (1 hour away from us) or some other spot 45 minutes the other way? Undaunted, we head North and find a ferry!!! Only 20 miles north. One leisurely ferry ride across and we arrive in Cave-In_Rock, Illinois. After checking out the Cave-In-Rock State Park for restroom facilities, we plug into this small town to find a service station and to buy our tickets to financial freedom. Only one problem.......The only sevice station in town doesn't do the lottery!!! Closest place is "only 4 or 5 miles" down the road...........15 miles later, we arrive in the center of the Middle of Nowhere and find a liquor store that's open with a lotto sign. Success at last!!!!!!!! We head home, arriving only 3 1/2 hours from when we left. Total Miles - 70.

Monday (AT LAST) - After visiting the site of the movie "Deliverance" in Illinois, I finally had a day of drum corps to look forward to. Home for today is my sis in law's home....only 15 minutes from the stadium!!! WOOHOO!!

My wife, younger sister in law and I trek down to Murray to pick up our tickets and catch a rehearsal or two. See the Colts buses and drive up to the school they're at. Caught a sum total of about 15 minutes of visual while my sis (a color guard junkie) drooled over the Colts guard. (Heh....wait until she sees Cadets!!!) We go to the stadium, pick up tickets and grab some lunch. Next, to the Cadets rehearsal.

Two fields back to back, so guard has one while the brass has the other. (Percussion were in the stadium) To keep peace, we plop down in the endzone where my two wards can watch the guard and I can at least hear the horn line. (Never #### off two sisters, especially when you have to sleep with one of them........always safe advice.) The first thing I notice about the horn line is their pitch center.......it is on, baby!!! Hang out and finally decide to run home for a last family thing before escaping....uhhhh...leaving the in laws for the conclusion of the weekend (AT LAST!!!)

6:20 - Arrive in parking lot. The cast: Myself, my wife (marched brass line in college and has worked my guards in the past), sister in law (color guard junkie), my child (a 7th grade clarinet player who once dreamed of marching with Madison.....once they "get over" the all-male thing) and my 10 year old niece (who has never seen a show, and could probably care less....she's along so she can come home with us for the week.....a summer "tradition".)

The stadium - WOW, this is a steep one!!! Reminded me of DeKalb. According to my Bro in law, stadium seats 16k on the concert side. That's good, since ther are no visitor side stands.

The weather - Warm, but not too bad. Around 80 at stepoff, a few light clouds.......it's all good!

Souvies - In the concourse on the ground level. Went and bought a Boring shirt from Glassmen and picked up a Cadets shirt for work. Ready to roll!!!

National Anthem - Cadets ensemble. Nicely played, caught it from the tunnel. Start to head to our reserved seating on the 35 yd line and, Lo and Behold, they have decided to change the seating to a free for all outside of the center section.......hmmmm.......not liking this until.....

Hey are those seats on row 66 (at the press box) on the 40 yard line open? Oh yeah, baby!!! even had a row below us to put our feet. Let the games begin!!!

Reviews:

Southwind (7th Place - 69.60)

Me - A weaker corps than ones they have fielded in the past, but are doing some nice things. Opening statement was effective. Drill is good, just needs a little more work. March Slav was the highlight for me. Overall nice show.

Wife and Sis - "Guard is a bag".

Daughter - I like them!

Niece - Asleep

Spirit (4th Place - 77.20)

Me - Much improvement since the JSU show. Percussion line is tight!!! Horns are playing better (mello lick in the opener was a LOT better as far as intonation, but the triplet lick is still muddy.....add more water!!!) and the guard actually caught my eye. They still had some dirt in the drill, but when they clean it up, I have very little doubt that we'll see Spirit back in the big dance on Saturday night in Madison this year. Holsinger's Easter Symphony is starting to grow on me. Congrats Spirit!

Wife and Sis - Guard has some nice work and is fairly clean. Both had them above SW, Crown and neck and neck with Colts guard.

Daughter - They're from Alabama? (Look of confusion)

Niece - "How long is this thing?"

Crown (6th Place - 76.20)

Me - Visually, the drill moves along well. Musically, there are a few cool moments. Playing is nice. The ballad from Moulin Rouge was the highlight for me. Yes the togas have changed, but the guys still look WAAYY feminine from where I was sitting. I do have to say that they do look better, though (longer and not "frilly" looking).

Wife and Sis - Good work, not performed as well as needed to be performed.

Daughter - 1) Hey, they have toga men!!

2) What are the lightning bolts/wings/bow and sabre/snake wigs for?

Niece - Is now comatose.

Intermission (You may add your own elevator music to pass the time)

Cadets (1st Place - 90.0)

Me - The moment I've been waiting for. Since hearing about this show from many of you here at DCP, I've been wanting to see it. What can I say.....they did not disappoint!!! NYNY from On the Town......Nice!!!

Ballad - THIS will end up being one of my favorite all time ballads.....lush sounds coming out of the horns. Pledge....good or bad, constitutional or unconstitutional.....who cares!!! It WORKS!!!! Crowd ATE IT UP!!!

Speaking of eating it up, could I have another serving of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy to go, please? The side stepping snare/basses with the dance/hand moves ......the whole experience.....THIS IS WHY I LOVE DRUM CORPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lawdy, this was just sweet!!! End of the show is cooking also. Although I like Cavies and applaud them for being so good themselves, I REALLY hope Cadets win at Murfreesboro. This show has me tryng to figure out how I can get to Madison. Thank you Cadets for taking a page from the Scouts play book and giving the fans what they want. PLEASE keep this in mind when programming for next year.

Wife and Sis - (Between toe taps) OH MY GOD!!! Now THAT'S a GUARD!!!

Daughter - "Can I march Cadets?" (Sorry Madison, she now proclaims Cadets as her favorite corps)

Niece - WOW!! Why aren't the others this good? (Good=Entertaining)

Glassmen (3rd Place - 84.05)

Me: BOOORING........well, not really!! This is a very pleasant show.....not gonna be one of my favorites, but this show is very pleasant. Well marched and performed throughout. Nice Job. Sorry you had to follow Cadets!

Wife and Sis - Guard is good, but they're not Cadets (Had them 3rd behind PR and Cadets)

Daughter - "No, really dad, can I march Cadets?"

Niece - They're not as good as the Cadets were.

Phantom Regiment (2nd Place - 84.85)

Me: Strong show, musically and visually. I'll have to see it again to get a good read. I'm sure it'll grow on me.

Wife and Sis - Hey, they've got a good guard. (They didn't like the purple coats in the opener....I did)

Daughter - "How old do I have to be to try out for the Cadets?"

Niece - Awake, but not there.

Exit to the open seats on row 3 on the 50 for the finale.

America/O Canada - My opinion and the wife's - Go back to the old arrangement.

God Bless America - Nice.

Cadets Victory Concert:

Cadillac of the Skies - Nice

Rocky Point - Made my kid jump out of her seat on the first attack. LOUD!!

Jetsons - Niece was digging it.

Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy - Note: I saw drummers smiling during this.....they were loving this almost as much as we were. I saw these guys feed off of the crowd tonight. At the end, (for those who haven't experienced this) after the snare solo, the horn line goes free form and gets close....I mean to the fence and beyond!!!! Enmasse!! A couple of horn players climbed up on the bench on the edge of the fence and I swore one horn cat was standing on a bass drum. Front row could have reached out and grabbed them. They blast your face off from 10 feet away!!! All I can say is THANK YOU!!!!!!!

A great night of drum corps..... This is going to be one of the best years in a long while..........Although I'm not completely finished (I didn't tell you about the ride home......I'll put that in another post....suffice it to say.....3 1/2 hours, middle of nowhere Tennessee, 3 possums (2 dead), 4 deer (one 8 point), and only 2 cars in 90 miles. AND the crookedest road that's NOT in San Francisco......but that's another story for another time. Next stop for me.... Murfreesboro with about 15 band kids......about 10 who have never seen a show live. The fun just keeps a coming........

Nice review, Bobby! I enjoyed your family's observations as well. At least you were able to get your family to come to the show. Mine still thinks it's something weird Dad did as a kid that he can't get over :( .

Well, I can still hope for some creative family bliss at Madison! :D

Great review!

I love the reactions of your niece. Especially the part where she was comatose. :blink:

Excellent review!!!!

I took my daughter (going into HS junior year) to the Cadets Clifton show (3rd year in a row), and low and behold, my wife, who hasn't attended a corps show in over 20 years, came along too. Both of them had a ball. :D

Mike

Sorry, there was more to tell, but I posted this when we got home. Still had "nervous energy" left over from the drive. I'll post some more "comments" later , but got to run to a rehearsal first.

Your review ROCKS!!!!! so, what other family outings are you planning this summer? lol

Your review left me wanting more:

I see that you did not do a review of the Colts.

That tells me one of two things: 1) the Colts show was not rememorable or

2) it was so late at night that you were not thinking straight.

I hope to God that it is Number 2.

Just my two cents worth

I actually loved the Colts when they were in DeKalb for DCM....I hope it was #2 as well.