I have a recording of the 1976 Cabs show. It's one of my all time favorite drum corps recordings. The soloists are amazing and the whole program rocks.

I'd like to learn more info about that show. Is there a tape of the visual performance? (and if there is could I borrow it?) Was Jimmy Russo DM? What did he wear at finals? Who were the soloists? Are they still around? Any stories abot the corps from that year?

'84 is another of my favorite years. I'd love to read some stories about that year, too.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the show in Rochester that year. Russo was the DM,had a huge smile for the whole show.They were huge,loud and completely entertaining.Don`t know who the soloist were but they certainly were hearing it and hitting it.No doubt,one of my all time favs .1976

Edited by Gmannn

Jimmy was the drum major, I can tell you who a lot of the soloists were. Do you want names or who was playing what ? most of the solos were handled by the legend himself George Delmonte. (who i have had the pleasure of meeting many many times and everytime I do I am in awe. he was awsome!) Gene Moratta was also a soloist. "SLim" (can't think of his name) hit that double D in Flamenco. Bobby Collins, and of course the closing solos is the one and only Steve Roclowski (sp?? sorry Steve) who is still playing in the alumni corps along with former soloists from that show I believe Fabian Isza, and Duke Terreri (not sure about Duke tho)

That 76 show is legendary among current cabs members. Especially sop soloists. It is just an awsome production top to bottom and in my eyes one of the best drum corps shows ever. I remember the day I met George Delmonte. He complimented Gordito and I on our solo's at some random rehearsal in Secaucus. I was like "Thank you sir" not knowing who he was. (Little older little gray int he hair) It wasn't until Louie Storck told me who it was that I was completely floored !! I had marched next to Ponzo, Curt Hawkins, Deamer, Zeigler, and seen and heard countless others including Donnie Allen and to many to name. But every soloist I have met has mentioned that 76 Cabs show to me. And ever since I heard it I loved it !!

anything else I can help you with let me know. I have the show memorized ! (PLUS I got to play some of the actual charts with the alumni and sat next to Steve Raclowski to!!!! man that was awsome !!!)

p.s. sorry about my spelling

I have a recording of the 1976 Cabs show.  It's one of my all time favorite drum corps recordings.  The soloists are amazing and the whole program rocks.

I'd like to learn more info about that show.  Is there a tape of the visual performance?  (and if there is could I borrow it?)  Was Jimmy Russo DM?  What did he wear at finals?  Who were the soloists?  Are they still around?  Any stories abot the corps from that year?

'84 is another of my favorite years.  I'd love to read some stories about that year, too.

I could wrong, but I believe the soloists included Jim D'Amico, Gene Marotta, George Delmonte and the 'Bushman" (don't know his actual name). They are still around but not playing with any competing corps. Jim and Gene are involved and playing with the Garfield Alumni. Bushman, I'm not sure. George has retired from the teaching profession and, at last word, is firmly esconced down south.

The 76 show is one of my favorite shows. The soloists were on, especially in Flamenco! I believe the soloists were Gene Moratta, Steve Racklowski, George Delmonte, Bushman, and Slim Collins (I could be wrong because all the stories I've heard over the years are turning into one big story in my brain :lol: ). I;m sure Louie would be able to clarify the who's who.

MJH,

1984 is another great Cabs show. Malaguena rocked from the beginning all the way to the end. Kent Pennell (sp?), was the baritone soloist, I don't even need to say how good he was at finals. If you listen to the end of Malaguena when he is playing with the other soloists, he screams a note on top of everyone else! Check it out. :lol:

The 76 show is one of my favorite shows.  The soloists were on, especially in Flamenco! 

Think this was the last year for Flamenco on the field. A old time Cab Alumni told me that the number was played from 1960-1976. I have a pair of 1960 Cabs shows on CD and the earliest version is still a kick 44 years later.

Oh yeah, the drill for the last part of Flamenco was a company front starting from the back of the field and coming right at you. Good ol' time "in your face" Drum Corps.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Since I was part of the 84 corps here are some of my thoughts .The corps worked all winter harder than any other year I had marched. The majority of the members of that 84 corps were a family. A lot of us marched there from a while never winning a DCA title. I personally felt the 1985 musical book was tougher than the 1984 book. Especially the opener.

Since I was part of the 84 corps here are some of my thoughts .The corps worked all winter harder than any other year I had marched. The  majority of the members of that 84 corps were a family. A lot of us marched there from a while never winning a DCA title. I personally felt the 1985 musical book was tougher than the 1984 book. Especially the opener.

I've heard other members from those years say '85 was a better year. Glen marched tenors those years and said the drumline was better in '85. I've listened to both shows and I hear more emotion in '84 than '85.

The soloists in 1976 were Gene Marotta, George Del Monte, Bob "Slim" Collins, Mike "Bushman" Melvin, Fabian Isza and Steve Raclowski. Duke Terreri never marched with Hawthorne. He was in St. Lucy's Cadets and later the New York Skyliners.

Edited by cabalumsw