Think this was the last year for Flamenco on the field. A old time Cab Alumni told me that the number was played from 1960-1976. I have a pair of 1960 Cabs shows on CD and the earliest version is still a kick 44 years later.

Oh yeah, the drill for the last part of Flamenco was a company front starting from the back of the field and coming right at you. Good ol' time "in your face" Drum Corps.

Flamenco was played until the mid 1960s. It was then played from 1971-1976.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flamenco was played until the mid 1960s. It was then played from 1971-1976.

OK, thanks for the correction....

I have a recording of the 1976 Cabs show.  It's one of my all time favorite drum corps recordings.  The soloists are amazing and the whole program rocks.

I'd like to learn more info about that show.  Is there a tape of the visual performance?  (and if there is could I borrow it?)  Was Jimmy Russo DM?  What did he wear at finals?  Who were the soloists?  Are they still around?  Any stories abot the corps from that year?

'84 is another of my favorite years.  I'd love to read some stories about that year, too.

Caballeros 1976

One of the truly GREAT corps fielded by the 'Silverbrands'. Won the Championship (their 5th of the decade) with a 5+ POINT margin.

OLE!!!

Elphaba

1976 was the only year I marched in Hawthorne. Myself and 4 other guys came over from Blessed Sacrament after our senior corps disbanded after 1 year. We lost 2 shows that year. The first show of the year was in Baltimore, Md. We had problems in the opener Bully with echos bouncing around Memorial Stadium. I think we tied for second that day. The other show we lost was in Providence,RI. I also remember winning finals by almost 5 points over Reading. That was an amazing corps to win by that kind of a spread.

My fondest memories that year include the way the guys from BS were treated by Mr James Costello. First Class all the way. Was there anyone who did not like that guy? Anyone who marched in 1976 can also tell you about the show in Hershey, Pa. Well not really the show, but what went on in the locker room before the show. There was a young lady there in the locker room who none of us knew. And there were probably 50 guys there...........................................................................

. The finals show in Rochester was electric. We felt it on the field that it was a great job. I remember it was chilly that night also. And we partied hard all the way home.

As far as the soloists, here is my recollection. Bull Fight Gene Merota. All solos in Bully Gene Merota. Brazil all solos George Delmonte. Concert Echano Bushman. Flamingo Cha Cha Solos Gene Merota. Trio Bushman, Bobby Collins (slim), Gene. Hill Where The Lord Hides Solos... I believe there were 2 of them. And I am sure "Murph" John Pulgasie played one of them. The ending was Steve Riclowski. The high notes in the show were Bushman and Slim.

Oh....Giants Stadium exhibition Giants and Cowboys. After George Delmonte played his solo in Brazil he threw his horn in the air and the wind carried it. He made a running catch of it. We also did one or 2 other Giant Games. Then we did the National Anthem at the 1976 World Series Yankees and Reds. I was standing right next to Dave Concepcion at shortstop.

Some great memories. Great soprano line. The mellophones were awesome also. I think we had 12. Tony Famillio, Jay Hogen, Ron Werner, Blaise Castaldo, Charlie (Tuna) Guest, Erich Schweikert, Jack Hopper, Chuck LaGrecca, myself and I don't remember the other 3.

In the last 28 years I have probably listenened to that show at least 1000 times and like the first 1000 times, I am sure that on the way to Scranton this year I'll get the same goosebumps while I listen to it in my car. An absolute must for any drum corps fan.

• 3 weeks later...

I, too, was a member of the 1984 Caballeros. I had never marched with a group of people who were so driven to acheive. From the very first rehearsal in October of 1983 right through the victory performance in Allentown. We weren't just hungry, we were starving. There were many former members of the 1975 Muchachos in that corps. I don't need to tell any of you what their mindset was like that year. Nothing or no one was going to stand in our way. That was truly one of, if not THE, greatest summer of my life.

Malaguena smoked at every performance. The only time we failed to get a tremendous crowd reaction was at the show in Giants Stadium. We had the dubious honor of following the performance of the Garfield Cadets West Side Story. I remember the crowd just exploding in Bridgeport the weekend before DCA's.

The most interesting story I remember from that season is the day of prelims & finals in Allentown. We got up early, rehearsed, went to the stadium and did a really hot show that afternoon. We got back to the hotel and we thought we had the place all to ourselves. There was alot of noise in the hallway. All of a sudden, these two amazon women come out of the room next to mine. One had her entire arm in a cast from her wrist to her shoulder. They were the Women's Tag Team Champions of the WWF and were trying to sleep. Boy were they ###### at us! Anyway, word gets back to us that Reading had tied our score. We were not a happy group at that point. Determined as we were, we set out to rehearsal that afternoon. It's unfortunate more spectators weren't there to witness what was our finest performance of the season....the run-through we did that afternoon was amazing! In our finals performance, we had a slight ensemble tear in "Don't Cry for me Argentina". Coming off the field, we realy thought our opportunity had been lost. Thank god the judges was it differently. We were World Champs with an undefeated season. So much for the folks waving the "Cabs-busters' flags when we took the field and so much for the corps who protested Mike Bushman's horn with the Dizzy Gillespie angled bell.

I was reminiscing with John "Screech" Arientano on saturday night in West Haven. We had a bet going with him that year. The bet was, if we were to go undefeated, he would cut off his signature pony-tail. At about 3am in the parking lot of the Macintosh Motel in Allentown, the cutting began! He's never grown it back since.

Thank you's to Screech, Jim Costello, Danny McBride, Rich Templin, and my fellow corps members for showing me what hard work and dedication can do 20 years ago. I've made that work ethic a part of my life and I'm forever grateful. Happy Anniversary guys!

1984 Undefeated DCA Champs!

George Lea

How could I forget about Fabian sbowing up to warmup before finals wearing only his sombrero, his gloves, his horn, and a smile! I never laughed so hard in my life!

An absolute must for any drum corps fan.

Must get recording . . . .