Phoenix Review

Well, I didn't see a review for Phoenix, so I will put my hat in the ring (hopefully not ringer).

In order of appearance:

Blue Devils B. Sound like that from only 17 horns should be impossible, but somehow these kids really pull off some great riffs. The colorguard is their strongest point, but the drum section is not far behind. I hate to say it, but I liked these kids over Troopers and Blue Knights.

Troopers. The show musically is well written, but the drill is lacking. What I thought was really amazing was that there are 20 kids from Phoenix in this corps. I was impressed with that. If these kids can put some energy in this performance and clean up the drill, they can do well. This corps always has heart. Much class too.

Seattle Cascades. Now before I speak, I will put out my disclaimer. I am from Seattle originally, but now live in Phoenix. I saw these kids last year at homecoming and was very impressed with how good they were then. I had high hopes for them for this year, and they have exceeded my expectations by 10. This was the most exciting show of the night, and considering the company they were in, that's a tall order.

My daughter (soon to take after father) and I watched the morning practice. They spent most of it cleaning up the end of the drill. This ending is one of legend and comparable to Cavaliers, or Cadets of the past. If they can get this part clean, they will even go farther than we have been anticipating 10th or 9th even. The exitement generated by this corps will knock your socks off. If you like in your face moments with a fast drill, and lots going on all of the time, you will like this show.

Blue Knights. It's too bad that they had to follow the Cascades. Thier show is good, but I agree with previous reviews. The show is flat. There are some moments of real greatness, but it leaves you with the feeling that there is more talent than is shown. Had they gone on before the Cascades, then the crowd would have enjoyed them more. Guard uniforms need something....else.

SCV. Great new uniforms. More green than I was expecting. Of course I am use to the all red and white uni's of old. This show is fairly clean, but the style of music (which is good this year) vs. the drill and marching flavor (typical Vanguard) doesn't quite get you feeling like the Vanguard of the past. Drumline, clean up your act and you could get this corps to 3rd place.

Now for all of the corps, playing in the 105 degree temperatures of Phoenix is not easy. Add to that the 60% humidity because of monsoon season. It makes an already difficult task of marching, playing, and performing, even more difficult. All of these kids put their heart into it. They gave, and the crowd responded. I and my family had a great night.

Thanks to everyone who made this year's phoenix show a success.

(How do you like me now?) B)

Seattle Cascades. Now before I speak, I will put out my disclaimer. I am from Seattle originally, but now live in Phoenix. I saw these kids last year at homecoming and was very impressed with how good they were then. I had high hopes for them for this year, and they have exceeded my expectations by 10. This was the most exciting show of the night, and considering the company they were in, that's a tall order.

Now for all of the corps, playing in the 105 degree temperatures of Phoenix is not easy. Add to that the 60% humidity because of monsoon season.

Seattle by FAR got the best reaction of the crowd. They got a standing O in the middle of their show (after prelude, fugue, and riffs) and had hte crowd on their feet before their show was done. Amazing show...

And yes it was AMAZINGLY hot and humid. I thought i was gonna pass out just from standing in line for a soda.

Thanks for the Review....Do you know if any members really had difficulty playing in that heat?

Well, from the stands, they all looked like professionals, but as you know, performance brings out the best in all of us. Who's to say how these kids were feeling. All I know is that it was hot in the stands, good thing we had the programs to fan with!

about lots of Troopers being from Phoenix. . .when Copperstar (from Phoenix) folded mid-season, they sent lots of their members to Troopers.

My corps performed in exhibition that night, and it was HOT. I had sweat rolling off of me by the middle of our first song.

They got a standing O in the middle of their show

The only reason I got up and clapped was because I thought it was over.

Also theres a dude on the drumline from that area.

My corps performed in exhibition that night, and it was HOT.

Hey, I performed in the academy right before you guys, and some one told us that a judge made a tape for us, did you guys get one?

Do you know if any members really had difficulty playing in that heat?

He was exxagerating, it was only 90 degrees (yes even at night) but it WAS humid, but for AZ is wasnt too bad. But marching always drenches me so.