Rochester Phoenix

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't the ex Crusaders the same people that helped bring the 1973 Brigadiers to DCA's in about 6 weeks?  I remember David Martin as he helped me a little to improve my horn playing (Mission Impossible) but the 31 years since we did this has left me a little foggy.  (Nothing unusual for me LOL)

Yes I believe that is correct...many of these people were asked to not return to Crusaders after the tremendous success in 1972. There are many stories why this happened, but truth be told, I believe Phoenix was started as a grudge. That, combined with the folding of many NYS juniors from 1971-74, left a lot of drum corps talent available for a new project.

Donny

I belive that that same group went to the Brigs in 1973 possibly for the same reason. After we missed out on getting into DCA, the Rochester group indicated they would be back for 1974 and I believe that their abandoning the Brigs and their movement back to Rochester area drum corp is the reason Brigs never made it back the following year. However, even if we did return and make into DCA in '74 it's highly probable the same thing would have happened to us (the Brigs) that happened to Phoenix. BTW, I played mellophone in the '73 Brigs.

Oh well, it's 31 years later and I still remember the sad look on Gebby's face when he told us it was over. It still bothers me every once in a while when I stop to think about it. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I sat in with Phoenix a number of times in rehearsals. The lead line was A++ and there were many ex Statesmen, St Joes and Crusaders, not to mention Bill McGrath handling drums and Corky Fabrizio handling brass.

As I recall, a small part of the Phoenix phenomenon was due to the then Vince Bruni run Crusaders having a good year in 1972(I marched with Cru that year)...winning the American Legion Nationals in Chicago over the Cabs, but then placing 4th at DCA.

I think alot of us just wanted to go in a different direction and start winning,as did Vince Bruni when he later left Cru and created the Empire Statesmen who seem to have done pretty fair title-wise LOL. NOTE that Crusaders is still in search of a DCA title 30 years later.

The uni's were JC Penny's work clothes. My mother Shirley sewed and fitted all the extra pieces to the uni in our living room. The whole outfit priced out for under $30, shoes not included. With the people in that corps nude would have work also.

David Martin

• 4 weeks later...

there was a lot of anomosity after '72. bruni never could handle sucess in those days. i was one of those asked to leave. i almost joined phoenx. in '75 my buddy collin cambell had gone back to cru so i wen't back to be with him. cru is like the old grey knights........arrogant losers. phoenix was very good in '75. i remember at dca joe genero came to me & said " who the #### is phoenix " . so i told him the story

by the way ........... hows it goin dave martin

don incardona

cru....'67-72, '75-77. 80

I'm still a bit conflicted about Phoenix's behavior at the 1976 DCA Finals retreat.

On one hand, their hijinks that night were pathetic, a disgrace to DCA.

But on the other hand, what they did that night was absolutely hilarious!!! :P

Fran

I'm still a bit conflicted about Phoenix's behavior at the 1976 DCA Finals retreat.

On one hand, their hijinks that night were pathetic, a disgrace to DCA.

But on the other hand, what they did that night was absolutely hilarious!!!  :P

Fran

OK Fran my middle age (non) memory is kicking in. I can't remember anything about '76 retreat and I was there and sober.

Anyone care to fill in the details without starting the flames.....

• 3 weeks later...
How about that lower brass in Pines Of Rome.......that is how that piece is supposed to be played.

I heard them a couple times that year. WOW, Pines of Rome was fantastic. The lower brass was very strong. I think it was in Boston where I heard them, and they came in 5th out of 6 (Matadors were last), but Phoenix should have been MUCH higher.

They kind of reminded me of the old Skyliners, where you wouldn't want to look cross-eyed at any of them....for fear! I think I saw Skyliners actually break ranks that night to let Phoenix pass thru. They were mean looking....most had beards too I think.

Can anyone verify this?