Rochester Phoenix

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Digital CDS - www.digitalcds.com sells the old DCA Championships including 75/76 when Phoenix appeared at DCA>

• 2 weeks later...
I heard them a couple times that year. WOW, Pines of Rome was fantastic.  The lower brass was very strong. I think it was in Boston where I heard them, and they came in 5th out of 6 (Matadors were last), but Phoenix should have been MUCH higher. 

They kind of reminded me of the old Skyliners, where you wouldn't want to look cross-eyed at any of them....for fear!  I think I saw Skyliners actually break ranks that night to let Phoenix pass thru. They were mean looking....most had beards too I think. 

Can anyone verify this?

If you are talking about the Beantown show in 75, they were not there and more importantly the Skyliners did not break ranks for ANYBODY.

Frank...

I was a member of Phoenix. We competed in the old RCA circuit in 1975. We did however compete in Boston in 1976 as the corps had already begun it's descent into oblivion. We did not ever to my recollection have any situation with the Skyliners except for the party after the Dream show in 1976 that we had a couple of carloads of members that went to the Dream.

The Sky guys were referring to us as being from "Phoenix House", which at the time may not have been to far off target. We had fun at the party NOT WAR! I remember talking to young GUS Wilke Jr ..God rest his soul. Never did we have an altercation with the Skyliners.

As far as guys with beards...it may be possible, but not necessarily true. The corps was a great corps. That is what I remember the best.

Donny

• 16 years later...