Massillon Review

Ok. I've definitely got a bittersweet taste in my mouth after tonight. My seats were among the best in the house, 50 yardline, 2nd row from the top in the wonderful Paul Brown stadium. I'm gonna keep this honest. Here goes....

Pioneer- After an alumni night out last night, I ended up sleeping in until about 4:30 in the afternoon, arriving at the show late and missing Pioneer. D'oh. I was happy with their score though, they've obviously improved a great deal.

Southwind- My favorite Southwind show ever. Visual performance was rough. Tasty soprano screamer. I was stuck in the stadium entrance waiting to go to my seat, so I couldn't get a very good read on the show.

Colts- The music left a lot to be desired. The opener was very, very generic. I'd love to see the Colts do something groundbreaking one of these days. They had a few very nice brass ensemble moments. Didn't notice the guard much, very little effective integration. If the Colts ever want to see finals again, they need to fire their drill writer.

Glassmen- Loud. Opening Medea hit was great. The intricate body movement is starting to really communicate well. Guard had a very, very off night. Drops and mental errors all over the place. I really enjoyed the show up until the closer. If I could make it illegal for anyone to play Appilacian Spring on a field ever again, I'd be one happy dude. This is definitely a finalist caliber show. It's good to see Glassmen back on Saturday night. Ohio!!!

Boston- I do not like this show. Most of it is performed very well. However it's mostly recycled on-2-and splitting contrary motion drill moves that are basically variations on what Boston has done every year since 2000. They've cut down on their narration, which is good. The narration they have still makes it tough for me to hold down my food, which is bad. They perform well to the box, and their contra line can move, which was nice to see.

Phantom- I haven't liked a Phantom show since 96. I absolutely LOVE this show. Most contra lines seem to be unable to walk and chew gum at the same time. These guys can play and move with lots of attitude. Vis performance throughout the ensemble seemed decent, but it was very obvious that nobody in Phantom Regiment has ever performed a show this physically demanding. Once they get more confortable, GE vis will really go up. Colorguard was good, but staging wasn't necessarily optimal. Hornline was gorgeous. I'd love to see more brass on Kings in DCI. Definitely the fullest sounding horn out there. I could go on and on about how much I love this show, which is very odd considering it's Phantom. I may be a music major, but I can't stand classical music. This one really does it for me.

Cadets- If they took the opener out of the show, the entire package would rock. The opener is basically a snooze fest. 2nd tune really heats up, wonderful brass playing. I don't particularly dig their percussion sound (choice of heads, drums, I'm not sure what it is...) but they have some great licks and are featured well. The Aqualung tag at the end of the 2nd tune was awesome. Good guard moments. First baton guy moment was great. After that TAKE HIM OUT!!!!!!! By the third time it was just old. I really like him in there, obviously a talented guy. He just gets overkilled, which is unfortunate. Very open brass sounds, though they were most definitely top heavy. Their contras and baris need to crank some more sound. Definitely a lack of bottom, a la BD. Especially after Phantom, it was very noticable.

Bluecoats- Bias aside, it was not happening tonight. Crowd was on their side, that's for sure. 2 contra holes on the field, but guys are in transit to fill them. The show was probably the most physically demanding of the night. Performance wasn't bad, it's the GE that's killing them. The show does NOT get up to the box well. Not counting Pioneer, they were the quietest hornline of the night. Drill really hauls from start to finish, and there are some great and very memorable moves. Unfortunately the sound is never there to really accompany them. Guard integration is wonderful. Attitude from start to finish. Watch for some great trade-off weapon tosses in Wabbits pt. 1. Drumline is much, much better than ever before. Pit writing is incredible and being performed at a very high level.

Afterwards the corps played Autumn Leaves in the stadium and there was no traditional parking lot concert. <**> Ah well.

As a FMM I hate to say it, but I think the Bluecoats could very well end up in 8th or even 9th. The potential is there for a 5th place finish, but their lack of communication is really holding them back. I just hope in Denver that Phantom is over Boston.

Another mentionable moment tonight was at retreat when Boston blew the Conquest rhythm through their horns. Some guy screamed "WHATEVER!!!!" at them and got some applause from the crowd. Guess who they were supporting? lol

Edited by BlooooContra

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another mentionable moment tonight was at retreat when Boston blew the Conquest rhythm through their horns. Some guy screamed "WHATEVER!!!!" at them and got some applause from the crowd. Guess who they were supporting? lol

That is funny. Really funny.

After performing in Lynn, Ma a few tims with the Bluecoats, and taking all the crap from the crowd/BAC alumni on thier home turf, its funny to see things turned around.

Friendly rivalries can be interesting. ^0^

That is funny. Really funny.

After performing in Lynn, Ma a few times with the Bluecoats, and taking all the crap from the crowd/BAC alumni on their home turf, its funny to see things turned around.

Friendly rivalries can be interesting. ^0^

iceman..... What " crap " have you encountered in Lynn, Mass. from "the crowds " before ? Just curious, as I've attended this show for years, and the fans have always been polite and courteous to all the corps in Lynn. Since the 60's there has been a drum corps show in Lynn. Never once, to my knowledge ,has a corps been subjected to a catcall from the stands that apparently we heard about tonight in Ohio from your report..... Mass. crowds and the people in Mass. I've known have enjoyed the Bluecoats when they have performed in Mass. Immensely. I know I have . So I'm a little confused as to the " crap " the crowd has given the Bluecoats in Lynn, Mass. Were there similar catcalls from the audience generated to the Bluecoats ? When ? Care to elaborate ? Just curious, as I'm dumfounded by this charge of the hostility of Mass. crowds to the Bluecoats in the past.

Edited by Lieut. General Effect

fair enough. That explains some of the posters hostility to BAC. But the Lynn Mass." crowd" hostility charge ? That's a new one on me. No out of state Corps member has ever leveled that one before to my memory.. The Bluecoats have never been subjected to catcalls from " the crowd "in Lynn Mass before to my knowledge. The Mass. crowds in Lynn are appreciative to ALL the Corps. The Bluecoats have been a fan favorite here whenever they have performed. Catcalls from the stands to a corps performing in either competition or exhibition ? Lynn, Mass. crowds don't do that.

Guest Ted Striker

BlooooContra,

I had to agree with you about the Bluecoats. Read my mini review in General Junior Discussions. Being at the show, I had mixed feelings, hopeful, but I knew the outcome of the show before it was announced. There isnt a great deal of GE--not sure if this is attributed to the lack of "loudness" or not. It just isn't happening.

Clean, for sure..just doesn't reach out and grab you. Programming? :sshh:

How is it that this corps can't seem to break the 7th place barrier? It is frustrating for me, I imagine for the staff, it has to be one heck of a headache.

I don't want to think about this right now...

Ted

Here's my take on things. I got to watch the corps rehearse the last 2 days in Massillon. I have to agree with Bloo and Ted, it's a lack of GE that's holding them back. I think it's not necissarily programming though.

Watching their rehearsal, their brass guy (caption head maybe?) on the tower had them running things "full value soft" the majority of the time. They would play the segments normally, but it sounded like a radio with its master volume knob turned down. When they were allowed to play normal volume, they sounded uncomfortable. Is the show "full value soft?" I don't think so. Then why on earth would you rehearse that way?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I think it's their rehearsal methods that are holding their communication back.

Which holds GE back.

Which holds scores and entertainment value back.

Which holds Denver placement back.

I think it's programmed very well. The execution just needs to change, and it's not necissarily the fault of the membership.

Just my $.02. I wish em the best of luck in Denver.

I heard the Conquest shots blown through the horns at retreat a swew weeks ago and thought, "Gee, it was easier to hear them just now than it was during the show."