Massillon Review

by the way...i definitely agree that the bluecoats show just didn't reach out and grab me...it was good stuff...the GE really just wasn't there...i was somewhat disappointed, because i auditioned for bluecoats this year, and after what i heard at the first two camps of the year, i was quite excited about the show they were going to be putting on...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardon me, this gets long....I took in what all of you were saying and mixed in some things from seeing performances and talking with just about everyone imagineable (from every corps) last night (staffers, members, volunteers, yaks, goats, guns, knives....)

If GE is a problem for the Bluecoats then it's a problem for Phantom as well (PR had a 34.9, Bluecoats had a 34.8). I realize the reviews on here were based off of personal preference though. I don't think the Bluecoats show has a lack of GE....because the show IS effective. It's designed well musically and visually. What they don't do is maximize their impact opportunities. They have nice moments (things that make you go "wow!"). They have the crowd in the palm of their hand....impact moments are set up so well and the crowd wants to just go nuts, but then it ends abruptly and they move on to something else. The effect is there and it's written, but perhaps just not enough. I felt myself (the BIGGEST Bluecoats homer of 'em all) ready to just go crazy in a few spots, but couldn't because the moment just ended (there is a Doug Thrower joke in there somewhere about premature ejaculation...make one up on your own, do it in your best Thrower voice).

The show IS entertaining, and this is a typically good, well balanced (I thought the tubas...all 8 of them...were great musically last night!), AND IN TUNE (see more below). Let's stop the "woe is me, 7-9th place finish" talk.....that's crap and all of you know it.....there's two freaking weeks left. At least give this corps the benefit of maxing out their summer! The HOFF show is NOT the end of the road for this show.

Ice, Will, you all know the Dave MacKinnon philosophy on volume.....it's not on the sheets. At first I was really annoyed by this approach.....however, Dave does a tremendous job during the last two weeks of "letting the horns go" (you all should know this well...we get flamed every year for this same thing then come finals week we put it all together....do you all remember 2001....I sure as #### do). Dave's philosophy has worked in the past and it's going to work again this year (Div. 2/3 dude that posted on here....check this out): 1) play with a quality sound (center pitch and with a dark tone) 2) Play balanced 3) Play in tune....after all of that is mastered....then add the volume. As for the way the Bluecoats rehearse....hey top 6 horn lines are top six horn lines...don't knock it till you've tried it....and especially don't knock it if you don't understand it!

Moving on: Volume....well, that starts with a V and that rhymes with a T and that brings me to TQI....it's a sub caption on the brass sheets known as "tone quality and intonation". I wasn't on the 50 yard line for any performance except ours and it seemed many corps struggled with TQI tonight......especially BOSTON. Their brass number was a complete mystery to me (after they played I was thinking 16.9 or 17.1). I'm told the brass judge was a rookie and this was a first read....he apparently miffed many folk last night. The spread between Bluecoats and Cadets in brass (the Bluecoats have beaten Cadets several times already in brass) jumped to .5 This on a night where I thought the Bluecoats brass was pretty darn good from a TQI, precision, and balance standpoint. Boston was bad tonight (I thought they sounded better in L'ville....seriously). They struggled with the cold temps (every lead section really struggled, especially soloists) and had SEVERE balance issues. I'm really not sure how you can justify Boston's 17.8. Brass scores shook out like this: Cadets 18.2, PR 17.9, BAC 17.8, Blue 17.7. Cadets score was obviously some form of envy (I dunno?), and the PR, BAC, Blue scores being one tenth apart was just really safe on his part and in no way reflects what actually happened on the field (except maybe PR). Martin McDaniel was the judge. I know first reads are hard and this is a VERY political activity, but please...when it's obvious, you have to take a stand. If someone has a bad night, PLEASE reflect that in the scores....if someone is REALLY good, PLEASE do the same (maybe that's what he did with the Cadets score...if so, kudos?). But don't slate the scores....why do we compete?

In other news, the inaugural Bluecoats Blue B Que was a terrific event. The raging parties back at the hotel on both Saturday and Sunday night were also very memerable! It's going to take me at least a week to get this out of my system! Jason Pittman and his "cratch" needs to move closer to Ohio (you are not allowed to miss an alumni event ever again), Celeste Cooning is one of the funniest people I've partied with (think Meg Tilly with drum corps experience), Agent 89 has officially become a Bluecoats legend (now that we have 44 1/2 as soloist), Kee Vance...what were you drinking? Paint stripper? Dan "60 Minute Man" Brennan....that's funny, I don't care who you are. Patti, your husband is gay and I'm not. Seth, stop farting. Killer, you're pillow is fine...probably smells like Flowering Herbs. Ok, so there you have it, you all have been inexplicably privy to some of the things that went on at a Bluecoats party......."What happens in Canton stays in Canton!"

Bluecoats alums should make plans now for next year. This is the can't miss alumni event of the summer (GREAT job Kelli and Rodney!). I'm going to try to get some sleep before I head out again on the souvie trailer for the last two weeks.

Forgive my poor memory, but is Lynn the show where the field is the OUTFIELD of a baseball stadium and the field was like 150 yards from the corps?

Word from the road is changes are going in everyday. Was happy to see the score starting to reflect that last night. Making the changes needed as we make the finial turn and head for Denver!!!!...GO G-MEN!!!

F.M.

:blink:

Glassmen have impressed me so much. Saw them last week in Centerville and loved their show though there was lotsa marching problems. Then watching them at Massillon, they cleaned a lot of their drill and are really looking and sounding awesome! Now they're showing what their show can do!

. Their brass number was a complete mystery to me (after they played I was thinking 16.9 or 17.1). I'm told the brass judge was a rookie and this was a first read....he apparently miffed many folk last night. Martin McDaniel was the judge. I know first reads are hard and this is a VERY political activity, but please...when it's obvious, you have to take a stand.

Dude,

Marty McDaniel is anything but a rookie. Being on the road as I post this, and being a brass caption head of a div. 1 corps, I CAN speak. It's called field brass performance. The judge is on the field in the bells of the performers horns. So what you hear on the field is sometimes very different from what you hear in the stands.

Every time I log into DCP, I am so confused by the number of people who talk out of thier $#@ . This isn't my first rodeo, obviously some people are scared to get on the horse, but are not scared to talk about it. Sorry dude..

I remember the show last year, but i remember being too mad about the scoring spread between us and Boston to really think clearly.  I do, however, remember hearing at about 5 shows that were coincidentally all in New England shouts like "Crossmen Got Ripped!" or people "BOOOOing" (NOT bluuuueing) when we beat BAC...  shouts of "BOSTON SHOULD HAVE WON" also come to mind...  yeah- i would have to say that every time we were in areas that might be considered boston or crossmen "turf" and we beat one of their corps, the general consensus from the audience was extreme disapproval of the judging/scoring that they weren’t afraid to share with us from the stands while we were standing right in front of them.  This did not happen in the south, or in the midwest... or in Orlando.... 

No hostility in MA?  Think that might have something to do with the fact that Boston outscored us by more than a point-?  :blink:

1) When trying to make a point....leave out the word "dude" 2) Relax, have some cheese....it's just drum corps, no one lost a life here. 3) Scared to talk about it? I'm here.....

Look, Just reporting what I heard, and apparently this was Mr. McDaniel's first read of several corps (I don't know, just what several said). This is just what I got from several folk (not from my corps!). If you don't like reading about what people think, then don't get on here. For crissake, it seems like I was having this same discussion 15 years ago when these forums just got started on Prodigy!

So, ok, you want to "get on the horse".....let's ride. What exactly is your beef with me (or more likely my review)? You said you don't like it when people come on here and talk out of their posterior, yet you make no point about what actually happened last night in Massillon (other than Mr. McDaniel is far from a rookie...I think I even said I wasn't sure of this?). I reported on what I saw and heard (I heard a SOLID Bluecoats hornline, and intonation issues from several others likely caused by some cool wet weather)....and it's my opinion (feels great to be an American....Yeah Bill of Rights!).

Oh yeah, and I didn't agree with the brass scores (except for PR) or spread. Didn't I say this already? What was your arguement (and I don't mind if you disagree, you get an opinion too!)? Did you have one? I digress.......

.  Their brass number was a complete mystery to me (after they played I was thinking 16.9 or 17.1).  I'm told the brass judge was a rookie and this was a first read....he apparently miffed many folk last night.  Martin McDaniel was the judge.  I know first reads are hard and this is a VERY political activity, but please...when it's obvious, you have to take a stand. 

Dude,

Marty McDaniel is anything but a rookie. Being on the road as I post this, and being a brass caption head of a div. 1 corps, I CAN speak. It's called field brass performance. The judge is on the field in the bells of the performers horns. So what you hear on the field is sometimes very different from what you hear in the stands.

Every time I log into DCP, I am so confused by the number of people who talk out of thier $#@ . This isn't my first rodeo, obviously some people are scared to get on the horse, but are not scared to talk about it. Sorry dude..

Maybe I should have mentioned this, I heard most of the corps from field level. I get what field brass is (ran over enough of those guys in my day!).....

Breathe in, breathe out....it's gonna be ok! Smile!

I was trying to figure out who onfiremedic was because he was sticking up for that judge on his other posts he signs it

"Brian Bentley

Brass caption head

Pioneer drum & bugle corps"

I was thinking he WAS the judge in question for a minute... like when he said

that it wasnt his first rodeo. I dont really have anything to add, just answering my own question in writing.

Colts- The music left a lot to be desired. The opener was very, very generic. I'd love to see the Colts do something groundbreaking one of these days. They had a few very nice brass ensemble moments. Didn't notice the guard much, very little effective integration. If the Colts ever want to see finals again, they need to fire their drill writer.

interesting considering Colts got rid of their drill writer in 02, then got rid of the drill writer from 03, to bring back the one from 98-01(finals 3 of 4 years)

Colts need stability in their staff, and they'll be fine. They are on the right track.