Hershey...A View From The Right

well, I won't be revealing my name or face to types like dvldawg! yes, the Marines are technically perfect and serve a very important purpose. plus it's important that they have an avenue to display their considerable talents. however, I happen to find them boring and repetitious and DCI/DCA seems to let them play too many songs. honestly - how many peole headed out BEFORE they slogged into Sousa and those last three numbers??

hey, they're great, it's just not my bag. I take nothing away from their hard work and dedication, (in fact, many senior corps could learn a thing or two from their precise marching), but I'll just take a breather under the stands when they come on. DVLDAWG - please don't confuse homeland security and politics and drum corps - it's a lousy mix. thank you for saving our country but please look for a congratulatory slap on the back from a Marine website. (now you'll probably want to kill me)

as for the pinwheel - isn't this 2004? Madison has obviously sold their souls to the devil and have "dumbed-down" their approach to entertainment. I really find that sad to watch.

As I said before, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But you should realize that any opinion you have or that you wish to share in this forum is entirely devalued by your decision to post anonymously.

As far as wanting to kill you, that's just a little silly now isn't it? Let's all be grown up and play nice. Just like you get to state your opinion, so do I - and the fact that your opinion differs certainly doesn't lead a rational person to violence. I have no confusion between homeland security and drum corps - that wasn't the point. But if you had understood what I said in my previous post, you would have already gotten that.

Peace.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI/DCA lets them????

dude they have that style of show for years...pre dating DCI and probably DCA.

their main appeal is that THEY ARE DIFFERENT from what you see on the field from the competitive corps.

i could go on, but deaf ears ittitate me

so I'm now deaf? just beacuse I have a dissenting opinion? that's cold, man.

yes, DCI and/or DCA should cut down their appearance time, but I know that'll never happen due to the patriotism/military thing. drum corps has a very strong tie to the military, so I know why they're there.

really, if you're sitting in the stands on DCA Championship night, (or you drove 3 hrs. to Hershey) and you've already watched 12+ corps (at 4+ hours), do you really need the USMC to show you anything that you haven't already seen? and at the expense of 20 more minutes??

again, and I'm sick of defending myself here on the Marines - THEY'RE GREAT - but I'm bored with their show and the fact that they add so much extra time to my viewing enjoyment without presenting anything appealing. their show is sterile, void of pizzaz, and especially, emotion.

I would say this about pinwheels and other similar moves, certain things in life never get old because they are great.......they have some quality that is almost indescribable.  A pin wheel.....traditional marching, which the Scouts through in a few steps of,......Espana Cani.......a good salute.......14 Contras........screaming soloists........etc etc.  These things endure because they aren't fads.......they move people emotionally and that doesn't change.  People love symmetry, its a scientific fact that people are more physically attracted to those whose faces are more symmetrical.  Hence, the oohs and ahhs for a company front and a pinwheel etc etc.  I mean, you want to talk boring.......how many corps are going to are going to run around the field a million miles an hour with an attack here and an attack there virtually ignoring the melody of the song they are playing?  That is boring to me........just my opinion. 

And like I said earlier...........I love your candor and totally respect the fact that you say what you think.

thank you, sir. this board is all about opinions and having a little fun.

I'm cool with the pinwheel. I miss like heck a little Skyliners blast-off in the comp. front. I'm just bummed that Madison has watered it down. (their show, that is) they've become a senior corps. and you can have some slowdowns in your show! SCV achieved this beautifully, and Brigs have a nice park-and-blow section too.

for my money, the pinwheel is very 1978, and we have to move on.

As I said before, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But you should realize that any opinion you have or that you wish to share in this forum is entirely devalued by your decision to post anonymously.

As far as wanting to kill you, that's just a little silly now isn't it? Let's all be grown up and play nice. Just like you get to state your opinion, so do I - and the fact that your opinion differs certainly doesn't lead a rational person to violence. I have no confusion between homeland security and drum corps - that wasn't the point. But if you had understood what I said in my previous post, you would have already gotten that.

Peace.

well thank you for allowing me my opinion. but why am I devalued? that's very pompous of you. isn't the beauty of the internet the fact that I can post anon?

why do you need creds? is my fandom not enough for you to validate me? can I not have a critical eye, or would you prefer that I marched in the Bridgemen or the Appleknockers or something?

I have a college degree, have attended hundreds of shows, (both Jr. and Sr.), am responsible for the reformation of the Brigs in 1992, marched for them, recorded many a parking lot warm-up, spent thousands traveling across the country chasing corps, etc., etc., so you don't need to know my name.

and your comments about "thanking them for freeing our country" were over the top and not necessary to get your point across. your intent was to prop up the importance of a miltary presence like the Marines - which has nothing to do with drum corps or the show in Hershey.

love ya. keep the commentary going. just don't look down your nose because I didn't play an instrument or refuse to post my name.

Where I was sitting, the line looked pretty straight to me. And trust me, I know many high schools that cannot do that. It looked clean and I liked it!

SCV was AMAZING!!! :blink: :blink:

It might have started out straight, but maybe 8 counts into it, it just got worse and worse. I was sitting way out in section 2, on the Goal line - side 2. Had a perfect view of it once it got to about 45 degrees - took a picture too. Once I get them developed I'd be glad to show it to you :-)

If they're doing it for tradition, great - but as far as effect and "playing the game" goes, I would certainly hope that someone who is evaluating them would notice yes, while they are attempting something which may or may not be difficult, the execution was certainly not there.

I would agree, however - that SCV was pretty darn good. I really liked them last year, and I think maybe even a little more this year.

Tommy, thank you for your review!

great review! very on point and accurate while being critical, too - something DCW seems to lack. I have to disagree with USMC. they just get more and more boring every time I see them, and they usually play too long. rah, rah, rah, Sousa March, crowd on feet, clapping in time, standing O - please stick a knife in my back. BD are just amazing, but yes, the ending leaves you wanting more. have we been conditioned to a Madison ending every time? pinwheel was a joke, by the way. I was half expecting the Cabs to run on the field and join in. Cascades and Capital Regiment made you go - wow! (considering that they're near the bottom.) Bucs could really give Empire/Brigs/Cabs top three a scare. SCV stole the show. brilliant and powerful.

so I'm now deaf? just beacuse I have a dissenting opinion? that's cold, man.

yes, DCI and/or DCA should cut down their appearance time, but I know that'll never happen due to the patriotism/military thing. drum corps has a very strong tie to the military, so I know why they're there.

really, if you're sitting in the stands on DCA Championship night, (or you drove 3 hrs. to Hershey) and you've already watched 12+ corps (at 4+ hours), do you really need the USMC to show you anything that you haven't already seen? and at the expense of 20 more minutes??

again, and I'm sick of defending myself here on the Marines - THEY'RE GREAT - but I'm bored with their show and the fact that they add so much extra time to my viewing enjoyment without presenting anything appealing. their show is sterile, void of pizzaz, and especially, emotion.

paragraph by paragraph rebuttla:

yes i feel you are, because even when presented cold hard facts, you go on with your rant. and if this was viewed as cold, wow, you aint seen nothing online yet.

and they are there for more than 'the military thing". they actually draw fans. you do realize this particualr drum corps performs before more people than the top 12 combined?

and yes, i would gladly watch the Marines after DCi quarterfinals. i feel they make an excellent exclamation point to any show they appear at.

and if you dont like the Marines, go down to the souvie area. i'm sure they'd love to see you

well thank you for allowing me my opinion. but why am I devalued? that's very pompous of you. isn't the beauty of the internet the fact that I can post anon?

why do you need creds? is my fandom not enough for you to validate me? can I not have a critical eye, or would you prefer that I marched in the Bridgemen or the Appleknockers or something?

I have a college degree, have attended hundreds of shows, (both Jr. and Sr.), am responsible for the reformation of the Brigs in 1992, marched for them, recorded many a parking lot warm-up, spent thousands traveling across the country chasing corps, etc., etc., so you don't need to know my name.

and your comments about "thanking them for freeing our country" were over the top and not necessary to get your point across. your intent was to prop up the importance of a miltary presence like the Marines - which has nothing to do with drum corps or the show in Hershey.

love ya. keep the commentary going. just don't look down your nose because I didn't play an instrument or refuse to post my name.

It pains me to continue this on and on with a fellow Brig, but your comments scream for a reply.

First, I have not devalued you, and thus, I am not being pompous. You can post anonymously all you want - I don't find that to be the "beauty" of the Internet, but if you do, have at it. It matters not who you marched for, how long, or if you even marched at all. The point is that is sure is easy to stand back and criticize others when you do not have the guts to even share with those whom you criticize the simple fact of your name. Moreover, if you choose to post anonymously, you simply offer no reason to any reader of your opinion as to why it holds any merit. It remains your opinion - you're just not as likely to get anyone to agree with you. In other words, just because you say so doesn't make it so, but if you let people know who you are when you say it, you may be more successful in making others understand why your opinion is worth reading, or that you stand behind your convictions regardless of who agrees with you.

"your intent was to prop up the importance of a miltary presence like the Marines - which has nothing to do with drum corps or the show in Hershey. "

This part is my favorite. For someone who claims such an important role in drum corps history (responsible for the reformation of the Brigs and all), it's amazing to me that you could make such a statement. You must have missed that day of drum corps history class when they taught the fact the drum corps IS military. That's where it came from, is derived from, has its roots, etc., etc., etc. To say a military presence has nothing to do with drum corps is simply preposterous. Whatever it has become, drum corps will always be militaristic.

I'm sorry you don't wish to tell us who you are. Maybe I might even see you at a Brigs performance where we could continue to debate the finer qualities of military music. If you're ever interested in doing so, please look me up. I'm sorry you have been offended by those of us who have questioned your statements - open debate is rarely personal.

Edited by Dvldawg411

"I have a college degree, have attended hundreds of shows, (both Jr. and Sr.), am responsible for the reformation of the Brigs in 1992, marched for them, recorded many a parking lot warm-up, spent thousands traveling across the country chasing corps, etc., etc., so you don't need to know my name."

On an additional note regarding anonymity and its effect on the believability of a post:

From what I know of Brigadier history, the reformation of the Brigs occurred in 1991, not 1992. Actually, the initial meetings were held in 1990, with a parade corps developed in 1991.

More importantly, knowing the people who were responsible for the reformation of the Brigs, I highly doubt anyone who had a hand in that would ever take credit or deem themselves as having been outright "responsible" for reforming the Brigs.

But if I have my information incorrect, please feel free let me know.

Edited by Dvldawg411