ALLENTOWN-BD Vs. SCV

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cause SCV fans want their corps on top right now. Bummer. I'd like to see SCV on top, but it doesn't seem to be panning out that way. I also think that people are recognizing the fact that SCV's show concept is stronger than BD's. That says something to people. If people can follow what is definitely going on, its easier to connect with. People like it more and want it do score better.

All that being said, here are some reasons why they are not winning.

A. Their staging is strong. But their best section which is the drumline is often left in the shadows. They have one moment in the spot light which is tainted because it turns into a small jam session, which I am pretty sure does not belong anywhere in the music of scheherezade.

B. The ballad section of the show is stagnant. I’m not sure what they are trying to get across and I don’t think they are either. This section seems to have a lot of pointless drill, and an out-dated impact which sounds more like “The Red Poppy” than the SCV of late.

C. Their horn sound while being loud and powerful, tends to lack blend and often sounds top heavy. I am not blaming this on the players. In fact the bari's were smokin that night in their features. It seems that many of their impact chords have voicing issues. So the bari's get buried and all we hear are the trumpets.

D. Most importantly when it comes to heads up with BD they are outmatched every step of the way. The design is less accessible for the judges. Their marching technique can sometimes get muddled, especially at small intervals and faster tempos. And their horn book lacks the range of dynamics that can boost your GE score.

Finnally, I must say I was suprised to hear far more cheers than boos when BD won. That was a smart crowd at Allentown.

This is a well-stated, very thoughtful and professional review. All are valid points and consistent with my own observation of this otherwise fantastic and enthralling production. Thanks for putting this very constructive review together.

PhilSCV

B)  I probably should keep my big mouth shut here but I feel compelled to say something about BD-vs-SCV.  I have been watching both for many years and I do have a favorite but I just think there is a factor that nobody ever talks about.  It's probably going to hurt some feelings so I apologize in advance.  And it's just my opinion so I'd like to hear from others who might agree with me.  BD ALWAYS ALWAYS looks good as it pertains to their uniforms.  I never felt that way about SCV.  I'm sure they take great pride in thier uniforms but they just don't work for me.  It seems a nasty  shade of green.  I've seen an awful lot of Drum Corps uniforms and for some reason SCV stands out in my mind as one of the least attractive.  Again I am sorry to all of you who I know love that uniform and are proud to wear it.  It's just one guys opinion and has little or nothing to do with the competition or the performance.  I just can't help thinking a snappier look might be good for GE.  Oh why did I open this can of worms? God bless every  Drum Corps person everywhere.  SCV forgive me????

Dan

Of course, I love the SCV uniform - I wore one from 71 thru 75. Red, green and white should always be their colors. However, I do agree that the current shade of green is just too bright and there is no color contrast when they face back field. I think the dark forest green that they previously wore is much richer and classier. I really loved their unis from 97 thru 01. When they walked onto the field wearing them the first time in 97, they looked like Santa Clara again. Huge impact on me.

It comes down to who performs their show to its maximum. They have different styles. Judges are probably awarding points to who sells the total package the best. SCV may have that best design on their hands but if they can't follow through, then nothing will happen. BD's talent is what's putting them on top. They have a cool concept but their book isn't as difficult. They might change sets here and there... change impact points and volume... but who knows the staff has planned in the next couple of days leading into finals.

My personal thoughts:

BD - 1) Love the ending!! It's perfect. Ask yourself... How would a locamotive stop? Loud?? Fast?? Come to a screaching halt and crash?? Come on!! BD's staff knows better. 2) The corps can march!! - I'm sorry but since 94' (Todd Ryan - you are god!) they have had some of the best marching programs out there. And it not just the uniforms!! Their posture, alignment and pulse is impeccable. 3) the sound they put out there is pure BD - Just like Cav., PR, Cadets and SCV have theirs - Fans have to value the fact that each of them have a distinct voice.

SCV - 1) I have to say that their guard is one of the best programs they have ever put together. They just jumped out of Najinski's ballet and recreated it on the field. I was hooked!! 2) Horn sound is beautiful - you can appreciate their sensativity to reknown classic. 3) They have an awesome drum book with an awesome drumline playing it.

The only thing I find kinda upsetting at shows is when people "booo"s if a certian corps doesn't win. I don't get it!! I'm saying it's everyone or particular area but I hear it. All kids work so hard to bring entertainment to new level. March for hours in a day. Travel miles and miles to different locations and that's what they get?? Their heart and commitment come above what type of music they are performing... their style of marching... their uniform choice... or their final score. So I wish those who "Booo" would stop treating it as a professional sporting event gone wrong because almost all of us know what each of them go through.

M

BD - 1995

VK - 1993

Cause SCV fans want their corps on top right now. Bummer. I'd like to see SCV on top, but it doesn't seem to be panning out that way. I also think that people are recognizing the fact that SCV's show concept is stronger than BD's. That says something to people. If people can follow what is definitely going on, its easier to connect with. People like it more and want it do score better.

You mean because some people, IN THEIR OPINION, recognize that, TO THEM, SCV's show concept is stronger than BD's...right ??

~G~

meh...

BD plays, marches, and spins the #### out of their show every year, but the design is rarely there for me, especially this year. i don't want to bash it so much as to seem cliche, but the whole train concept is just so elementary to me...something more "neat-o" and novelty rather than progressive and boundary breaking. and yes, with bd's talent and resources, i think they SHOULD be breaking boundaries from a design standpoint. maybe that's not their cup of tea - obviously it hasn't been the last few years - but i think it's a shame that it's not.

of course, that's just my opinion.

is that an ellington/bd comparison?

ellington surrounded the ideas with fresh, innovative, and through-composed mastery. bd? year after year, it seems awfully formulaic and stagnant. i'm only talking about the design here. make no mistake - the way they're coached in marching and playing is phenomenal, they perform so well, which is why they win. it's just...you can make an amazing hamburger, but it's still a hamburger.

again, my opinion.

Edited by alto92