ALLENTOWN-BD Vs. SCV

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, it's really just preference. i think bd looks at design more from the standpoint of "what is our package going to be in august?" rather than "how can we make this compositionally interesting?" not that the two are direct opposites, just different sides of the same coin.

if you look at bd's show from a broad perspective, it's extremely effective, which is why they win ge so much. but it's just that - the shows are geared to win more than to be artful. many may disagree with me here, but i think where there is opportunity for art, there should BE art.

i'm not saying everyone has to be star '93 or scv '00, but you can have an artfully thought out, non-formulaic show and maintain the image and success that bd has year after year. anyone agree or am i way off?

Edited by alto92

Most of this review will be concentrated on the head to head match up of Blue Devils and SCV which seems to be a popular subject on this forum. However, I will first make a few comments that I think are worth mentioning.

MAGIC: If they spent as much time on marching and playing as they do on their gimmick effects they would be back in the top twelve.

SPIRIT: I am very impressed with the growth of this organization. The first two thirds of their show is innovative and visually stunning. It seems that they are being chastised for pushing the envelope, which is usually frowned upon if you are not in the top six.

MADISON: Don’t go expecting to see “A drum corps fan’s dream”. This show is a shadow of the Madison corps you love. The power is gone and excitement is gone, and all that’s left is a wheel that doesn’t even make it all the way around.

AMPLIFICATION: I only noticed amplification twice. One time was with BD, which was very effective and allowed them to create some effects they would otherwise not have had available to them. The other was of course with Boston. I thought the narration was distracting and ineffective. However, I think they should be allowed to use it if they want. If you don’t like it, or I don’t like it we should be allowed to BOO all we want. But I don’t see anything wrong with them having the option to use it.

Let me first say that there were many good drum corps in Allentown on Saturday night. But of course, when BD and SCV were performing the entire atmosphere and feel of the arena was different. Both are impressive organizations.

BD:  I was able to watch the Devils practice on Saturday. This combined with there APD’s has allowed me to become fairly familiar with their program. The show has two themes which are contributing to their success. The fist is the “train” theme. Which is providing them with a powerful GE source in both music and visual. The other theme, is “Look how much better we are than you”. This is supported by a great deal of demand and exposure in all captions. These two themes combined, equal winning. It is just that simple.   

This show has the most exposure visually that I have seem from them in quite some time from an execution standpoint. There are many large forms which move in unison directions creating an easy comparison from member to member. This kind of exposure would usually create a problem. But their technique is so strong that it actually helps them. It easily allows a judge to spot check ten to fifteen members in a single set, and see just how solid their technique really is.

Musically their plan is right along the same lines. Exposure is once again the key. Sections are featured with challenging passages, combined with large step size and the test of playing some of them at only a mezzo forte.

GE wise this show is over the brim. You can tell that the designers had a  ball with it. All the train conventions work really well from the drum lines opening, to the accelerando section after the ballad. What really makes it clever is that the corps itself is responsible for all the ideas of the train. Never relying on gimmicks, props, or clichés.

I know there has been a great deal of negativity towards the book. This book is brilliant from top to bottom, especially the opener, which I’m not convinced isn’t one of the best I have ever heard. I hear many people complain that they are not hearing “melody”. They want to hear traditional versions of “A Train” and “Summertime”. The problem is, that’s not what BD is using those tunes for. They are only taking their motives that serve their theme to create completely new and original productions. The slow build of the opening of the show takes you on a ride of horn stabs and technical runs, not to mention the best solo work in DCI. And when you finally arrive at their first impact, the “gospel rock” section as Wayne Downey calls it, it is more rewarding then SCV’s, which they just give to you straight away. SCV won’t tease you or draw you in.

The staging is quite impressive. There never seems to be any extraneous drill. Every set of the show is working toward the development of a moment that serves their theme. Highlighted by the once again stellar guard work. They seem to know just when to throw some multi focus at you, and when to draw you in to one specific spot.

The scary part is that there is still some dirt left in there. But if it all gets cleaned out, watch for BD to get another ring. They know how to win, and they’re good at it.

SCV:  It’s no mystery why everyone has been going crazy over SCV this year. They have put together a show that pulls out all the stops and gives the average fan just what they ordered. Multiple impact points powered by strong chords and one of their strongest guards in years. You cannot help but love their first impact. So much sound and power accompanied by the drill wedge we have all come to love.

The end of the show is just as strong. I loved the double ripple in the company front. Not to mention the pseudo, “Great Gate of Kiev” final impact. What is cool about this show, is that they tried to marry the old style of SCV from the 80’s and the new style that gave them the title in 99.

I’d also like to add how impressed I was with SCV on retreat. So much intensity and discipline. The drumline was so focused they were scary. There are many marching organizations out there that could learn a lot from SCV’s tradition and integrity.

All that being said, here are some reasons why they are not winning.

A. Their staging is strong. But their best section which is the drumline is often left in the shadows. They have one moment in the spot light which is tainted because it turns into a small jam session, which I am pretty sure does not belong anywhere in the music of scheherezade.

B. The ballad section of the show is stagnant. I’m not sure what they are trying to get across and I don’t think they are either. This section seems to have a lot of pointless drill, and an out-dated impact which sounds more like “The Red Poppy” than the SCV of late.

C. Their horn sound while being loud and powerful, tends to lack blend and often sounds top heavy. I am not blaming this on the players. In fact the bari's were smokin that night in their features. It seems that many of their impact chords have voicing issues. So the bari's get buried and all we hear are the trumpets.

D. Most importantly when it comes to heads up with BD they are outmatched every step of the way. The design is less accessible for the judges. Their marching technique can sometimes get muddled, especially at small intervals and faster tempos. And their horn book  lacks the range of dynamics that can boost your GE score.

Finnally, I must say I was suprised to hear far more cheers than boos when BD won. That was a smart crowd at Allentown.

Most of this review will be concentrated on the head to head match up of Blue Devils and SCV which seems to be a popular subject on this forum. However, I will first make a few comments that I think are worth mentioning.

MAGIC: If they spent as much time on marching and playing as they do on their gimmick effects they would be back in the top twelve.

SPIRIT: I am very impressed with the growth of this organization. The first two thirds of their show is innovative and visually stunning. It seems that they are being chastised for pushing the envelope, which is usually frowned upon if you are not in the top six.

MADISON: Don’t go expecting to see “A drum corps fan’s dream”. This show is a shadow of the Madison corps you love. The power is gone and excitement is gone, and all that’s left is a wheel that doesn’t even make it all the way around.

AMPLIFICATION: I only noticed amplification twice. One time was with BD, which was very effective and allowed them to create some effects they would otherwise not have had available to them. The other was of course with Boston. I thought the narration was distracting and ineffective. However, I think they should be allowed to use it if they want. If you don’t like it, or I don’t like it we should be allowed to BOO all we want. But I don’t see anything wrong with them having the option to use it.

Let me first say that there were many good drum corps in Allentown on Saturday night. But of course, when BD and SCV were performing the entire atmosphere and feel of the arena was different. Both are impressive organizations.

BD:  I was able to watch the Devils practice on Saturday. This combined with there APD’s has allowed me to become fairly familiar with their program. The show has two themes which are contributing to their success. The fist is the “train” theme. Which is providing them with a powerful GE source in both music and visual. The other theme, is “Look how much better we are than you”. This is supported by a great deal of demand and exposure in all captions. These two themes combined, equal winning. It is just that simple.   

This show has the most exposure visually that I have seem from them in quite some time from an execution standpoint. There are many large forms which move in unison directions creating an easy comparison from member to member. This kind of exposure would usually create a problem. But their technique is so strong that it actually helps them. It easily allows a judge to spot check ten to fifteen members in a single set, and see just how solid their technique really is.

Musically their plan is right along the same lines. Exposure is once again the key. Sections are featured with challenging passages, combined with large step size and the test of playing some of them at only a mezzo forte.

GE wise this show is over the brim. You can tell that the designers had a  ball with it. All the train conventions work really well from the drum lines opening, to the accelerando section after the ballad. What really makes it clever is that the corps itself is responsible for all the ideas of the train. Never relying on gimmicks, props, or clichés.

I know there has been a great deal of negativity towards the book. This book is brilliant from top to bottom, especially the opener, which I’m not convinced isn’t one of the best I have ever heard. I hear many people complain that they are not hearing “melody”. They want to hear traditional versions of “A Train” and “Summertime”. The problem is, that’s not what BD is using those tunes for. They are only taking their motives that serve their theme to create completely new and original productions. The slow build of the opening of the show takes you on a ride of horn stabs and technical runs, not to mention the best solo work in DCI. And when you finally arrive at their first impact, the “gospel rock” section as Wayne Downey calls it, it is more rewarding then SCV’s, which they just give to you straight away. SCV won’t tease you or draw you in.

The staging is quite impressive. There never seems to be any extraneous drill. Every set of the show is working toward the development of a moment that serves their theme. Highlighted by the once again stellar guard work. They seem to know just when to throw some multi focus at you, and when to draw you in to one specific spot.

The scary part is that there is still some dirt left in there. But if it all gets cleaned out, watch for BD to get another ring. They know how to win, and they’re good at it.

SCV:  It’s no mystery why everyone has been going crazy over SCV this year. They have put together a show that pulls out all the stops and gives the average fan just what they ordered. Multiple impact points powered by strong chords and one of their strongest guards in years. You cannot help but love their first impact. So much sound and power accompanied by the drill wedge we have all come to love.

The end of the show is just as strong. I loved the double ripple in the company front. Not to mention the pseudo, “Great Gate of Kiev” final impact. What is cool about this show, is that they tried to marry the old style of SCV from the 80’s and the new style that gave them the title in 99.

I’d also like to add how impressed I was with SCV on retreat. So much intensity and discipline. The drumline was so focused they were scary. There are many marching organizations out there that could learn a lot from SCV’s tradition and integrity.

All that being said, here are some reasons why they are not winning.

A. Their staging is strong. But their best section which is the drumline is often left in the shadows. They have one moment in the spot light which is tainted because it turns into a small jam session, which I am pretty sure does not belong anywhere in the music of scheherezade.

B. The ballad section of the show is stagnant. I’m not sure what they are trying to get across and I don’t think they are either. This section seems to have a lot of pointless drill, and an out-dated impact which sounds more like “The Red Poppy” than the SCV of late.

C. Their horn sound while being loud and powerful, tends to lack blend and often sounds top heavy. I am not blaming this on the players. In fact the bari's were smokin that night in their features. It seems that many of their impact chords have voicing issues. So the bari's get buried and all we hear are the trumpets.

D. Most importantly when it comes to heads up with BD they are outmatched every step of the way. The design is less accessible for the judges. Their marching technique can sometimes get muddled, especially at small intervals and faster tempos. And their horn book  lacks the range of dynamics that can boost your GE score.

Finnally, I must say I was suprised to hear far more cheers than boos when BD won. That was a smart crowd at Allentown.

brilliant! most of what you are saying is way over my head, but I loved the amplification and Madison blasts.

As I mentioned in my Hershey posts, (check it out if you can, kind sir) Madison has obviously "sold their souls" to the devil and are playing for maximum "f you" effect. it's dissapointing (sp?) to see a corps go down this road - especially one of such great pedigree and tradition. what? they feel they can't win anymore? don't the creative geniuses get to Wisconsin these days? can't Downey get on a plane and help out? ha ha. the pinwheel is so 1978 and so trite as to be laughable. my heart sags.

I'm no music major, but I've seen enough drum corps to just know that BD is better, even though SCV provided more ear candy. holy horn projection, Batman! the question then becomes - has BD peaked? or - can SCV put some soap on, lather up, and get better for the finals? also, what do Cavies bring to the table? I predict a BD victory by like, 1 to 3 10ths of a point.

everyone needs to get over their amplification hang-ups. yes, narration may be a bit much, but if it's in there, they've got to be able to use it. maybe we need to restrict it to pit equip only. no singing or speaking. if I want that, I'll tune into "American Idol" or "Def Poetry Jam." frankly, it's nice to finally HEAR the pit. the difference between SR. and JR. at Hershey was tremendous and the extra "whoomp" it brings from underneath is enjoyable.

great job, man. love your style.