San Antonio Afternoon Show Review

Ok, I know you saw the fleur de le before you clicked on here, but this is a no joke non-biased review. You may not like what you read here so if you are thin skinned and not a drum corps fan, move on now. I attended both the 1:00 and 7:30 shows. Here is a review of the 1:00 shows. I’ll do up a review of what I saw their, Cavies fans; you might want to read it.

Southwind – I was a little disappointed. I think the concept of the show is solid. Opener really hit, but the performance of the show from there on needs some work. Gals in the guard, smile! You gals in the guard are very beautiful southern women, show off those beautiful smiles. But ladies, you made watching your guard work look like that, work. The equipment work you did seamed heavy and not effortless. Go watch a Blue Devils performance and watch the gals in the guard. You’ll understand what I’m saying. EFFORTLESS sells! March Slav needs some cleaning musically, but still love that piece of work. All in all, Southwind has a nice show, but judges have them slotted about right. Look for a 16th finish at DCI.

Troopers - Got to love a legend. I was glad to see that some of the musical program has moved on from the old western classics. Troopers, you’d make a great Division II corps. I would not have used those white drums with those great new uniforms. Silver maybe, but not white. It is still nice to see you guys around. Man I wish I had about 5 million dollars to give you so you guys could get back on top. And remind everyone where we came from and kicked major butt all over again. If I hit the lottery, I’m coming to Casper.

Spirit of JSU – WOW they are back. Didn’t really know what to expect from them, but great program. Some of the techniques they are using with body and horn movement, create some very usual sounds and I thought it was great!!!!!! Opener, don’t change a NOTE!!! Loved the guard exploding from the center forum wearing masks. Continue to clean and you’ll be back in the Top 12 come finals. Great job guys and my hats off to you. Suggestion, in the warm up how about the melody of Let it Be Me! Welcome back to the TOP 12! It’s been a while and it is good to see an old friend.

Seattle Cascades – Okay, I’ve never seen before today. I was pleasantly surprised. I found an old friend Kurt Jewell coming on the field with them. Kurt was the former guard caption head for the Scouts guard, he left Scouts after the coop de ta in 2000 and I wonder where he went. I now know where he went; he’s the assistant director of Seattle Cascades. Man they were good! Nothing too over the top just the basics and might I add all done very well. Clean drill and good solid guard work, the kids looked like they were having fun and it showed. Seattle’s rendition of Prelude Fruge and Riffs was great, the corps had a lot of fun with it and the audience ate it up. I liked the guard; the ladies wore business suits coats over colored tops; the guys, all black suits with colored ties to match the ladies tops. About half way through the show the gals took off their coats and with all that color on the field the guard really came to life. Horns were very solid as well as drums. Seattle is looking at a Top 10 finish finals. I actually think they have a shot at Glass and Phantom. The great thing about Seattle, most of all the kids and staff come from the North West. Sounds like a community thing, wow wasn’t that what drum corps was once all about. I think Seattle has a good balance between audience and judge appeal. I hope to see you guys around for a while now.

Boston Crusaders – I hated the guard uniforms. I later saw why they were in those, but off white body suits. What cruel person put those men in the guard in those off white body suits? Boston has discovered the new DCI formula for success. Clean drill, play what you play well, and have a big guard that is very visual. Crusaders got high marks in visual and it was visual, but it wasn’t all that. The guard had these roll out banner inspirational sayings on these rolling banner type things. That’s the best way I can describe them. Cool visual and gave some insight as to what they were trying to do. Loved the pictures of famous Americans thought it worked well with what you were trying to do visually. However, I did not like the singing. Standing in one spot for about 1 min singing a song. As nice as it was, it is NOT drum corps. As far as the closer, nice rendition of another Appalachian Spring piece and really a cool touch with the corps American flag at the end, but a YAWNNNNNER. Okay, for those of you that have not seen this. The guard in those off white body suits and the corps in those red jackets all lay down on the field and form a red and white stripe pattern for the base of the American flag. While some of the guard is in the upper left corner have these silks that have a single large blue star. Cool visual, but don’t end the show their. I want my closer like my opener; hit me straight between the eyes. Very pretty and the judges are eating it up. But, you were almost playing at the piano level when you finished and then just laid down and ended, people around me were asking me are they done?

Blue Knights - Guard uniforms looked very scary, I thought I was going to see some S&M action. If you loved Star of Indian in 93 you’d like the Blue Knights, they are playing some of the same Barber tunes that Star used. Blue Knights had set their pit up a little inside the field and incorporated the drum line and horn line using them as blockers to march around and through. Nice effect. Color guard and pit crew had a moment that I thought was nicely done when they helped push the pit even further back on to the field in an arch. Nice piece and pit crew held their own with the guard guys doing the movements. Nice touch. I thought musically, it was little in accessible. What would have been cool if guard would have brush sprayed their eyes dark or even in different colors. Blue Knights will fight it out with Madison and the Colts for 12th at finals.

Pioneer – Roman, go back to Division II. You guys ruled there and that is where you belong. The props that you used also could use a coat of paint before DCI finals. Musically, Pioneer is having lots of problems. Kids are trying very hard, but it is not happening. IF Pioneer were in division II the kid's would have those shoulders back and walking with pride, because no body could touch them.

Carolina Crown – Okay Greek show. Loose the prompts. Put the guys in something other than a toga, the medusa heads on the guard loose. I thought Carolina had a good sounding horn line and drum line. Guard did solid work. I just didn’t get into this show either. Come finals Carolina will be in there with Blue Knight, Madison, and Colts fighting for 12th.

Madison Scouts – Okay I was expecting a disaster. From reading everything on here I expected the worst. I was actually IMPRESSED. It is not a Cavaliers show or a Star of Indiana, it is drum corps. Yes, a little old school, but I believe there is room in this activity for everything. But, it was obvious that DCI want to move forward to a new more visual activity. Look at the score sheets folks, almost 60% of the score sheet is visual, who made it that way, it was the corps directors. Madison was the only DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS THERE in the afternoon show. Warm up was kind of cool, yes the K-Mart breastplates and helmets were a little cheesy, but not even part of the show. Madison hit me straight between the eyes with the open and every hair on both of my arms stuck straight up and the tears began to welt up in my eyes. Talk about energy and emotion coming from a field that was what the Scouts were doing. The guard work looks complete, but not effortless and needs more work, but man what a show. I will say when the guard changes uniforms about half way thought the show the bright yellow body suits are a little much, but as the evening went on, those bumble bee body suits look no worse than the “Tron” suits that the Cavaliers are wearing. When Madison finished the entire place was up on their feet cheering wildly. Obviously, despite what DCI and the directors are trying to do, the fans still see a place for style of show. This standing “O” was the first for the day. It was what the fans wanted and they got it. After review of the recap sheets, please do tell me what I am missing, Madison - top horns, second in drums and 8th in guard, by almost 3 whole points. Only Pioneer and Trooper color guard received lower scores in guard. If Madison could get those 3 points in the guard area back, they would be looking at a 7th or 8th place finish. It is not my intention to point my finger straight to the guard. I thought the guard work was good and would have placed them 5th behind the Blue Knight guard. If you also look at the GE categories on the judges sheets you also see the Scouts took a hard hit here as well. If GE was about getting people on their feet screaming their heads off, Madison would have a perfect score, but with the GE and guard scores being so interlaced, Madison is getting hit twice for the same problem. I might also add, Madison was the only corps that afternoon that had any type of marching style at all. Look at those feet next time you see that show. Most of the corps are just running around on their tiptoes trying to keep up. Shame on you DCI for being so critical. If we all wanted inaccessible shows, we’d sit through the Glassmen and Cavaliers and go drink beer during the rest of the shows. Drum corps should be about variety right? Is this non-biased enough?????

Colts – I really looked hard at this show since it beat Madison’s by about 2 points at Drum Corps Midwest finals about a week ago. I don’t like this year’s show. Didn’t get me excited at all. I can’t say anything bad or good about this show. It was just there. Sorry Colts, but loved what you did with your Four Seasons show back when you broke into the Top 12 in 93? But this is a yawner.

These are just my observations. I’m a paying fan so I’m entitled to my opinion right or wrong – right? I will say that all the kids that performed this afternoon are working very hard and it is nice to see 15 with an honest shot at finals this year. My final observation is that DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS are dead, what has replaced that activity is a Visual Guard Corps with Pit, Horn, and Drums Accompaniment. I’m not against these new shows. They all have a place. I know some of you say go to DCA for old school, but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water. I love great guard work, but I also want a horn line to part my hair for me. I like a gimmick or two. Read my review of the evening performances. Cadet and Blue Devils have got lots of gimmicks and horn lines with accessible music for all. Most of all, when you talk guard, you know the Devils and Cadets will have great guards. If I was to place the afternoon show here is how I would have rated them.

1- Madison, 87.5

2- Seattle Cascades, 83.5

3- Sprit of JSU, 83

4- Boston Crusaders, 82

5- Blue Knights, 81

6- Colts, 81.25

7- Carolina Crown, 80.5

8- Southwind, 77

9- Pioneer, 70

10- Troopers, 65

Spoken like a true Madison fan....

The bias is expected, after all we are human...

Ok, I like your review, very informative and positive/negative without being vicious.

I want to embace your statements, I would like to give them credibility.

You should sign your name , it will let me and alot of others do that.

Based on what you saw and wrote, Scouts aren't that bad, and "might" be getting "jobbed" .....I will judge for myself, but it would be nice , like I said to give your thoughts some weight if you would sign your name.

Geoff

Good review Pantherpilot..now I am going to disagree on a couple of points. First..Madisons guard finshed 9th not 8TH. I have the recap infront of me(maybe even 10th). 11 Division I corps marched and Madison only beat Pioneer and Troopers. With that being said and having seen Madisons guard..I thought they were AWFUL!!! it was very obvious that the non weapons kids have very little training. At times they looked lost and were doing simple work....I thought the hornline played well and they marched ok. The guard really does not explore any layering of body and is pretty one dimensional(not the kids fault). I actually feel really bad for the kids marching...they have been given a bad set of circumstances. Secondly I thought the Troopers hornline was terrible...just offensive. Intonation was whack..low brass was flat...mellos bending pitch.....Im sorry..but as a music educator I was really blown away by how poor their hornline was and the hornline like stoodstill alot during the drum solo??? This is just my opinions.....I do not know what Madison can do about the guard...I truly believe those boys who spin flag then play the drums are drummers with no formal training. If not then they should not have made the guard or something. I felt really bad in the end for the kids because I think everyone thought things would work out with them being drummers and now it may cost them finals. Oh and did anyone else have to stand in a huge willcall line also..how ridiculous!!!!I bought my tickets ahead of time and got there 30 minutes early only to watch people who did not buy tickets ahead of time get in on time us in the willcall line miss the first two corps....DCI kinda blew that one... It was a great show once I got in....

Daniel

I truly believe those boys who spin flag then play the drums are drummers with no formal training. If not then they should not have made the guard or something. I felt really bad in the end for the kids because I think everyone thought things would work out with them being drummers and now it may cost them finals.

From what I was told, (and i don't know if its true.) The guard members playing drums in the Scouts were guys who tried out for the drumline and were cut. Like I said, that may be wrong. If I am please feel free to let me know.

<sluggo fixed tags>