Evening San Antonio Show Review

Just so I get this straight - DCI has it out for Madison...and has for years. Hummmmmm.

So the average high school show they are marching this year is -

DCI's fault.

So when your guard has incomplete work, bad posture, and can't catch a quad - its DCI's fault.

So when you don't leave the confines of the 30 yard lines - its DCI's fault.

So when the backfield is the other half of the field which you haven't seen since warm-up - its DCI's fault.

So when your own CURRENT members are bemoaning your poor position and talking IN PUBLIC AT THE CONSESSION STAND about how frustated they are with the show, the guard, Scott Stewart, and a visually unchallenging show - its DCI's fault.

The problems HAVE BEEN AND ARE INTERNAL.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has any of you actually looked at the judge scores. How can you say that it awarded more to visual? It is split 50/50. Why do you say it awards a bigger percentage to visual? To Pilot Panther- What musically training do you have? I would have to think it must be very limited for you to find The Cavaliers music "inaccessible." You seem to be hypocritical in that you don't think the huge props that the Cadets are wonderful and yet don't think they are hurting the activity. You get all old school when it comes the corps you don't like doing new stuff, but when the Cadets decide to, it's wonderful. That's just plain stupid. Drum Corps is not a concert festival, you have to focus on both music and visual. Everybody with in earshot of me at SA thought the Cavaliers show was amazing and very entertaining musically and visually.

It is fact that the current judging system relies much more heavily on Visual. .sorry, but you can't argue that. It is obvious to most that GE Music is effected (or is it effected) by the visual, while the opposite is not true.

Also, not to brag, but since you brought this up. . .I have about 10 years of musical training along with 2 master's degrees in music, and I find portions of the Cavies show inaccessible. I enjoy new stuff quite a bit, but I think for drum corps, this is slightly out there.

Don't attack the reviewer. It's his opinion and nothing he says is gonna change anything anyway. Plus, we want to encourage reviewers, instead of making people afraid to post.

Sorry, my education comment was directed at PantherPilot. And, the GE Music isn't affected by the visual if you have experienced judges that now what they are don't, which I know so people don't think DCI has.

Has any of you actually looked at the judge scores.  How can you say that it awarded more to visual?  It is split 50/50.  Why do you say it awards a bigger percentage to visual?  To Pilot Panther- What musically training do you have?  I would have to think it must be very limited for you to find The Cavaliers music "inaccessible."  You seem to be hypocritical in that you don't think the huge props that the Cadets are wonderful and yet don't think they are hurting the activity.  You get all old school when it comes the corps you don't like doing new stuff, but when the Cadets decide to, it's wonderful.  That's just plain stupid.  Drum Corps is not a concert festival, you have to focus on both music and visual.  Everybody with in earshot of me at SA thought the Cavaliers show was amazing and very entertaining musically and visually.

It is fact that the current judging system relies much more heavily on Visual. .sorry, but you can't argue that. It is obvious to most that GE Music is effected (or is it effected) by the visual, while the opposite is not true.

Also, not to brag, but since you brought this up. . .I have about 10 years of musical training along with 2 master's degrees in music, and I find portions of the Cavies show inaccessible. I enjoy new stuff quite a bit, but I think for drum corps, this is slightly out there.

Don't attack the reviewer. It's his opinion and nothing he says is gonna change anything anyway. Plus, we want to encourage reviewers, instead of making people afraid to post.

Bravo Michael, and agreed.

~G~