Yesterday (Baton Rouge)

So... I left my hometown at around 2 o'clock... a little later than I had planned. I had 4 people with me, 4 hungry people...so we stopped at a Subway on the way to Lafayette. We arrived at St. Thomas Moore High School (Cavaliers practice site) very late, at 4:30. Most of the boys were in the shower but we did get a hold of one of our friends, Ryan Detiveaux aka

"Diesel" or "Devo". He chased my car as we were leaving the parking lot.... the boy was excited to see us (= Anyway, talked to him for about 15 minutes before he had to get on the bus. Said that it was too bad we missed practice, for alot of the guys vomitted all over the field due to the heat...Eeeeep! Anyway, we then headed to Baton Rouge. Got stuck in good ole' 5:00 traffic right in the middle of the Bluecoats... in front of the busses and in back on the equipment truck. Parked, walked to the stadium to find out that the show had been pushed back to 7....so, we got some more food. Show started...

Allright, you all know that I am not very drum corps smart so I will not attempt to review the shows. I'll just give a few little opinions.

Americanos: decent for such a small corps....

Troopers: funny, my old high school guard instructor works for the Troopers and well, the choreography looked very familiar! All in all, I liked the show, much better than I expected.

Spirt of JSU: Allright guys, this show is wondeful. One of my 2 favorite shows of the evening. That hornline is such an improvement from last year and the show was much more entertaining. During intermission, I went to the Spirit busses to visit my good friend Josh Robichaux, pit captain, and as I was saying bye to him he was like "We'll be seeing you on Saturday night!"... I sure hope so, this show deserves it.

Madison: was loud, entertaining... and well, you all know about the guard so I will not elaborate. Overall, I did like it. Loud is always good to me.

INTERMISSION.

Crown: I'll be honest, I don't have much to say because I was not paying alot of attention to the show as a whole.

Bluecoats: Liked the show, loved the Bjork song.

Glassmen: I do not think that this show is boring. I agree that it's lacking in the whole GE, entertainment area but I do like it. I spent half of the show looking through binoculars looking for Abby, trumpet. Found her. But I like it...good, clean sound.

Cavaliers: Ho lee sh##. I love it. I really do. It's really changed since I heard the Orlando recording. Oh lord, I was in awe. It's my type of show. The dance thing was just great, especially the 2nd sequence...because it was so unexpected. As for the music, although there weren't many very loud, screaming parts... it still gave me the chills. I cannot wait to see it again, from a higher point of view. I can;t say much for the drill, for I didn't get to see it from high up. I was on row 18. Anyway, go green machine!

Cadets: loved the guard uniforms, loved the guard work....have always loved Cadets guard. At first, I didn't like the blocks but they served a good purpose towards the end. Liked the music. Packed full of GE, very very entertaining. I hear that the '95 show was just like it and that this show doesn't compare...but I was 11 years old then and didnt know that drum corps existed. Although I think they are taking advantadge of the 9/11 situation, I almost don't blame them... it's still a good show that most will love.

Retreat block, scores.

Cavaliers victory performance....was a stand still of their show. They then played a little march tune and then played Over the Rainbow, which was very nice.

We then exited the stadium and hung out by the Cavalier busses for about an hour... hanging out with our friends and making new ones.

All in all, a wonderful day of drum corps. I am now 38487648575 time more excited about finals :lol::lol::blink::lol::lol:

Alice,

>Said that it was too bad we missed practice, for alot of the guys vomitted all over the field

Boy, did YOU ever miss some fun! :blink:

>Cavaliers victory performance....was a stand still of their show. They then played a little march tune and then played Over the Rainbow, which was very nice.

I wonder if the 'little march tune' was "Bully", one of their old trademark numbers played from 65-70..

Nice review Alice!

Mike

Alice,

>Said that it was too bad we missed practice, for alot of the guys vomitted all over the field

Boy, did YOU ever miss some fun! :blink:

>Cavaliers victory performance....was a stand still of their show. They then played a little march tune and then played Over the Rainbow, which was very nice.

I wonder if the 'little march tune' was "Bully", one of their old trademark numbers played from 65-70..

Nice review Alice!

Mike

Could have been "Bully".... not that I was even alive in the 60's or 70's, but it did sound very familiar....like it's something that lots of high school bands play...

Very nice review Alice...thank you!!!!!!!

I was in Baton Rouge for the show and Alice's review is excellent. I got my tickets at the show, but all they had left anywhere near the 50 were seats on the 30. One good thing about today's drum corps; corps drills are all over the field, so everybody gets treated to something good in each performance.

I liked the heart that the Americanos showed. The Troopers had a good show, but had problems with rifle drops. The humidity will cause you to have problems with your grip if you're not prepared. Other rifle lines were affected by the humidity, too. Spirit was a pleasant surprise. If they keep improving, expect to see them in Finals. I hate to say this, but Madison got what they deserved. They have a great, well designed show, but they are making mistakes executing their drill they should not be making. It's a love/hate thing; love the show, hate the lack of marching execution. Carolina Crown was ok. I liked the show. The Bluecoats had a really good show. Alice is right. They did a real good job with the Bjork song. The Glassmen technically had a good show. I liked the visuals, but that was about it. Thanks to the Cavaliers, I am the last Phantom Regiment fan in my house. They were astounding. If you're going to perform a difficult show, you'd better execute it and the Cavaliers absolutely do. Their show is well designed and well executed. My wife fell in love with the Cavies after that performance. They proved why they are undefeated. The Cadets also had a great, well executed show, but I'm not sure they can beat the Cavies. I don't want to sell the Cadets' show short. This an outstanding show. If they don't beat the Cavies, they definitely have a shot at second. This is said without seeing BD or SCV, so I'm not sure how Finals will actually end up, though I definitely would want to see PR in the mix. They have a shot at the Glassmen.

Although the "America The Beautiful" performance was good (love that glowstick), I was disappointed with the volume. With that many horn players, they could have cranked up the volume a lot more than they did and really have an effect on the audience. It's nothing bad the corps did, just a personal preference.

Hopefully I'll win the trip to DCI contest... B)