Too much spit!

LowBrassJohn

Hey, I'm a Trombone player who, simply put, has too much spit. I dont know if it's actually something with my mouth inparticular or if I'm doing something wrong, but it seems like I have to empty my spit valve or drain my slide all too often.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't that be a good thing? And how often is too often? I have to empty my spit a lot too when I play my horn but I think it's just because I put a lot of air through the horn. I might be wrong though, just my personal experiance and opinion. Someone else may be able to help you out more.

It's not actually "spit," it's just condensation on the inside of your horn from your breath. The amount that comes out will vary based on temperature and humidity.

(Just for confirmation lol) These guys are right. "too much spit" is a good thing. I have that 'problem' also. Back when I first started playing, I'd get frustrated with it but my horn instructor reassured me that it was because I was using lots of warm air....which is...good. :angry:

But anyways... :sshh:

i have the same problem yet my private teacher tells me that my main problem is my lack of air. my lung capacity isnt the greatest :(. Im doin all sorts of things to fix that. Also im a dry player, and sometimes the mouthpiece starts to get wet and it just screws me, but thats especially in marching band or corps when the horn angle is up and it all comes back down to the mouthpiece....

I had that during this years show when I switched to contra... didn't happen when I first switched but the farther into the season we went... the more spit I got. I believe that is a good thing though :P especially since it would happen BIG TIME after we played our ballad...