Are Dynasty drums any good?

LuvsPAisTe

Dynasty drums seem to have become popular in a short period of time, but I'm not a fan. To me, they sound choked off and too dry (especially the tenors). Do people just buy them because Blue Devils use them? I'd really like to hear from the players who march with them. Are you happy with these drums? Are they as sturdy as Pearl, Yamaha and Premier?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dynasty drums seem to have become popular in a short period of time, but I'm not a fan. To me, they sound choked off and too dry (especially the tenors). Do people just buy them because Blue Devils use them? I'd really like to hear from the players who march with them. Are you happy with these drums? Are they as sturdy as Pearl, Yamaha and Premier?

I would agree that Dynasty had a pretty dry sound. I dunno about the blue devils thing. What I do know is I wouldnt call Yamahas sturdy. The bass drum tensions rods break quick, and lugs fall out of the snares all the time. Just fall out...

i dunno about Dynasty in general but i do know that Carolina Gold's line sounds SWEET on them!

OK-I attended TOC in Pasadena and saw the Blue Devils clinic before the show. I got to hear BD's Dynasty snares up close. They sounded horrible, like a pillow was stuffed inside of them. What a shame, because those guys played lots of cool stuff. During the Show, I could hear PR's and SCV's Pearls and Cadet's, Cavalier's and Madison's Yamahas just fine. BD's Dynastys did not project at all and sounded muddy (I was on the very top row, on the 50 yard line). I didn't get to hear any other corps playing Dynasty drums this year (Capital, BAC, Glassmen, Pioneer). Was this problem just the way BD was tuning them, or did anyone else notice this problem with other drumlines?

Edited by LuvsPAisTe

This year's BD and BAC's '02 snare sound (or lack thereof) is strictly tuning. You can achieve equally good sounds from Yamaha, Pearl, Dynasty and Premier drums but each company's drums requires different tweaks to get them there.

Durability is a completely different issue. Some companies do better in that department and I think Dynasty has really addressed those issues in the past couple of years. Their drums used to be plagued with plastic pieces that broke very easily but not any more.

Having said all this I still think Yamaha makes the best sounding and most durable drums.