Are Dynasty drums any good?

LuvsPAisTe

...What I do know is I wouldnt call Yamahas sturdy.  The bass drum tensions rods break quick, and lugs fall out of the snares all the time.  Just fall out...

Really? The drums we use have been used continuosly by a marching band, winter drumline, and corps since 1996. I've never seen either of those problems. And they're coming up on their 9th year of service. Is it the newer ones that are less sturdy?

There's a lot of people here who don't like the Dynasty drums it seems. I have no experience with them. Is there anyone who really likes them out there?

Edited by gdisney

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hear from a lot of people the same things ive been reading about dynastys, how they fall apart quickly, they dont project well (especially the bass drums).

i watch bd's bassline and their technique calls on a lot of swinging, it seems like theyre really using a lot of sound quality in their strokes and for some reason they dont project as much as they seem they should. and #### does bd's bassline have chops!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Dynasty drums can, and do, fall apart sometimes. So can most other drums. Personally, I've never had any major problems with them over many seasons. Couple things though that may require attention. The tenor rims seem to rust kinda quickly, but that could be do the fact that my school is VERY close to the ocean and sea air corrodes most things around here. Had one lug on the top of a snare get stripped. Dynasty replaced it for free (I think they DEFINATELY have the best customer service and warranty).

The sound you get out of the drum however, is not primarily regualted by the design of the drum. That is more controlled by tuning. BD has gone with a dryer sound the past four years, with 2002 as an exception. That dryness comes from a VERY high tensioned bottom head (Falam II snare side) and a moderately tight top head (with either White or Black Max). Laquer was also sprayed on the snares themselves to give them that dryer touch. That sound can be produced on any drum - Pearl FFX, Yamaha SFZ/MTS as well as the Dynasties.

Dynasty tenors, IMO, sound better than Pearls and are about even with Yamaha's, although again tuning and choice of head/mallet can also greatly affect the sound. That "dry" BD sound is from the way the Suedes are tuned. Pinstripes ususally give a much brighter sound.

All bass drums sound the same to me and all sound best with Exans MX5 heads. I have had more problems with Pearl basses than with Yammies or Dynasty, though.

i hear from a lot of people the same things ive been reading about dynastys, how they fall apart quickly, they dont project well (especially the bass drums).

i watch bd's bassline and their technique calls on a lot of swinging, it seems like theyre really using a lot of sound quality in their strokes and for some reason they dont project as much as they seem they should. and #### does bd's bassline have chops!

I teach a drumline that has Dynasty drums. I don't really like how they project either. Being a bass drummer by nature, I would attribute their lack of projection to the fact that that there is only 1 air vent built into each drum.

My college drumline used Ludwig drums (which only have 1 air hole as well) and we were constantly told to play louder. We fixed that by drilling a couple of small 1/2 inch holes in the shells of each drums. After that, we never had another sound projection problem again. I'm very tempted to do this for these Dynasty drums.

I may be wrong about this but I believe that Pearl bass drums have 6 air holes in them and I think Yamaha has 4 built into their basses.

• 3 weeks later...

While I love the sound of the SCV Pearls ,we seemed to get great response from our Dynasty's this year, and thier support is first class( Al Murray flew out to see us twice this tour).It did help having Scott Johnson around too ,as I know next to nothing about tuning a snare . :worthy:

From what i hear, if you're sponsored by dynasty brass, you get free drums. If that's true, then i can see why BD and others use them. May sacrifice some sound but saves money

Dynasty brass are the worst. Stuffy...atleast their quality of sound is consistent between horns and drums :P .