Are Dynasty drums any good?

LuvsPAisTe

From what i hear, if you're sponsored by dynasty brass, you get free drums. If that's true, then i can see why BD and others use them. May sacrifice some sound but saves money

That is a true story, most top 15-17 corps get a free set of drums with a set of horns purchased. True story and someone from PR, if they remember this can tell it. Back in 93/94 Off season PR was going to buy a set of Dynasty Drums, and they wanted a set of Horns for free! Didn't work out, but a heck of an idea!

It's all about sponsorships too, I have no idea why a corps would chose Dynasty of Premier. Premier has a better sounding snare and a great sounding tenor.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what i hear, if you're sponsored by dynasty brass, you get free drums. If that's true, then i can see why BD and others use them. May sacrifice some sound but saves money

That is a true story, most top 15-17 corps get a free set of drums with a set of horns purchased. True story and someone from PR, if they remember this can tell it. Back in 93/94 Off season PR was going to buy a set of Dynasty Drums, and they wanted a set of Horns for free! Didn't work out, but a heck of an idea!

It's all about sponsorships too, I have no idea why a corps would chose Dynasty of Premier. Premier has a better sounding snare and a great sounding tenor.

Well, quite honestly, Premiers suck. Their mid 90's drums were nice, but they've jumped straight down the sewer.

I've been using Premier for the past 5 years now with my winter line, and the drums have been falling apart since the day we got them. Impossible to keep in tune. Faulty craftmanship, we literally had 2 dums become NON FUNCTIONAL right out of the box and had to send them back IMMEDIATLY to the company we ordered them from due to a SERIOUS design flaw. Out of 6 original drums only 3 can be played on right now. The other 3 are cannibalized in order to keep the "working" three workable.

it requires a wrestler with an enginering degree to REMOVE the top heads from the snares. Flam II's, White Max, and even the Tenduras are TO SMALL to fit on the drums without literaly WEDGING themselves to the bottom rim. In order to change a head we had to chisle the old head off with a drum stick before getting the new head on there.

There are NUMEROUS other problems concerning Premier. (Shell coverings cracking off, stripped lugs, snare strainers snapping, tension rods literally SNAPPING off, neigh impossibility in finding replacement parts) but I'm not going to go into it.

Needless to say, we switched to Pearl last year, and haven't had ONE single problem with them. AND with the White Max heads...they sound EXCEPTIONAL. Crisp, dynamic, and dry while projecting like a mother.

I would agree that Dynasty had a pretty dry sound. I dunno about the blue devils thing. What I do know is I wouldnt call Yamahas sturdy. The bass drum tensions rods break quick, and lugs fall out of the snares all the time. Just fall out...

the reason lugs fall out is because improper tuning...not bad design.....

i think Dynasty will improve their drums in the next few years.....JMO

as for drumine tunig i like the way the cavies tune the best.....then SCV

In order of quality and tone:

1. Pearl (especially the bass drums, omg the sound of well tuned pearl basses is what make me love drumming the most, the tenors have a very sweet sound as well).

2. Yamaha (especially sound coming off the snares)

3. Dynasty (they sound like garbage and look bad too, even the old all plastic remo freefloaters look good by comparison.)

4. Premiere (the only manufacturer that managed to design drums that have bolts break when you loosen them. Also has severe issues with balsawood rims for basses, they chip and shatter with barely any usage.

I'd love to be in an unsponsored line that marched 8 yamaha snares 6 Pearl tenors and 5 Pearl Basses. Throw in some Zildjian cymbals and I'd be happy for a long long time. When Winter showed it's face the idea of having some backup Dynasty and Premiere drums to help start the drumline bonfire'd be great too ;D

Honestly after thinking about it for awhile I'm going to have to change my opinion about the Dynasties. I've got to hand it to them but Pearl drums sound GREAT and have a much better sound than the Dynasties in my opinion.

And as for Phantom's bassline... sheer madness. :worthy:

Edited by Carl306

• 3 months later...
I'd love to be in an unsponsored line that marched 8 yamaha snares 6 Pearl tenors and 5 Pearl Basses. Throw in some Zildjian cymbals and I'd be happy for a long long time. When Winter showed it's face the idea of having some backup Dynasty and Premiere drums to help start the drumline bonfire'd be great too ;D

Hey, scvfan, I understand and agree with your approach! Let's take it a step further, though. I would use:

- Slingerland Cut-a-Way quads (@ 1982) with uncrimped Remo PinStripes, size 8-10-12-14'. I still have a set of these that has NEVER had a broken lug casing, tension rod, or hoop. The things project like nothing else ever designed!

- Slingerland TDR snare drums (14") with Ludwig Silver Dot heads.

- Ludwig Marching Tympani (with four or five huge guys to carry them). At least for the opener, just for effect (a la Phantom Regiment 1979).

I don't know about Dynasty, but all I ask from Percussion Companies is that they start making drums that the fans can actually HEAR!

ok, I'm old school - the 15" snares with straps, the pre pit era, but the SOUND of the drums on the field - the kind of sound that was clean, precise, yet sufficiently LOUD, was what got me into drum corps in the first place!

I just don't care for ANY of today's snare drums - I just don't hear them very well!