Are Dynasty drums any good?

LuvsPAisTe

Don't like the sound, REALLY don't like their appearance (obviously subjective)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about Dynasty, but all I ask from Percussion Companies is that they start making drums that the fans can actually HEAR!

ok, I'm old school - the 15" snares with straps, the pre pit era, but the SOUND of the drums on the field - the kind of sound that was clean, precise, yet sufficiently LOUD, was what got me into drum corps in the first place!

I just don't care for ANY of today's snare drums - I just don't hear them very well!

Wait until those Pearl Carbonply drums become common - lots louder.

(check DCP News - we've linked the Pearl announcement about them)

Mike

Come on now...

This is ALL personal preference. I know we all want to believe that we can hear a huge difference between almost identical drums, which cranked beyond belief, with all different kinds of heads, in all different climates/situations with all different techniques being used on them... TOO MANY VARIABLES, TOO SLIGHT OF SOUND DIFFERENCE!

It depends on tuning...

I have a Pearl export that I can put new heads on and if I tune it right it's comparable to my "Expensive" custom kit. I've used the export in professional situations and people say "man that kit sounds good what is it?"

However, if I have worn out heads on it and don't tune it right it sounds like poo

It depends on technique...

Different touches on the drum create different sounds; different sticks also have a small impact on the sound. Playing in the center of the (bass) drum gets a different sound than above center etc... TECHNIQUE makes a HUGE difference. It's usually not the drum it's how you play it. Don't jump to blame a lack of projection on the drum when it might be the players and their technique.

It depends on the writing...

Sound projection many times depends on the style of music and the style of your writer. Bass drums project if they are the only ones in the corps. playing. Good exposures and smart writing create projection.

Perfect example:

Scouts 95 (I happen to be in the bass line)

I hated the sound of our bass drums on video and live recordings. I cursed Yamaha!! However, cavies drums sounded GREAT! And than so did BD's, was it our tuning or technique or bead placement or writing??? Either way they were the same drums but they sounded completely different. WE COULD PLAY however, it didn't project and when it did I didn't like to sound.

I tend to base it on durability in which case I have a hard time with Yamaha and Premier. Yamaha customer service is a lot of lip service. Not that they are bad people...just overworked and under paid. Pearl is next to impossible to reach and tend to be very impersonal. I have heard noting but GOOD concerning Dynasty customer service.

Who's to say what is 100%, hands down the best!

My .02

That would make sense, but I've never had a drum smell so strongly.

I loved the smell of the rosewood bars when they'd get rained on in hot weather. It was the most wonderful smell in the world.

I have played on Dynasty bass drums for three years. The one thing that only ticks me off is the weight of the drums. Geeze! They are so much heavier than Pearl or Yamaha.

I spoke with the designer/engineer of Dynasty percussion at PASIC 2004. I expressed to him my views and what could be improved upon. I apparently have the body type that includes a wider hip base. Those harnesses would dig the #### out of me all summer even with foam, tape, modification. I was assured that the base plate was redesigned as well as the lugs and the rest of the hardware.

As for the tuning, some people just know how to get that "sweet" sound whereas some people are so-so with tuning. The Brigadiers have cranked the bassline in the past whereas last year we tuned the drums down so they would project more. Personally I prefer the thump in your chest feel with a little resonation and great articulation from the heads. Though alot of the sound depends on the line's technique and approach to getting the sound out of the drums.

Overall, I am not a complainer but if I had a choice, I would choose Pearl or Dynasty depending on what the new modifications for the drums would be.

:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

i have to agree on what other people have said...it just all comes down to the tuneing and sound quality. You can get any snare pearl, dynasty, yamaha and premier to sound good. Just have to tune it well and make sure there some good sound quality comming from the players. Maybe with some snares sounded dry n plain is because they are tuned to high and tight. But me personally i love dynasty's snares cuz they have a real comfortable feel to um. 2 me tho the best sounding snares have been pearl. Good clear crisp sound. As for tenors and bass wouldnt really know.

Good feel and good quality construction. I agree that they sound dry sometimes, but anyone who knows what they're doing can find a good head selection and tuning combination.