My Kennesaw Review

Kennesaw, GA

July 24, 2002

Let me begin by discussing the venue. First of all, the organizers had announced that the show was SOLD OUT for two weeks or so. Why then, do you NOT have a better system of parking? With rush hour traffic and poor accessibility to the high school, it was nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get in. I had to work until 6 p.m. and arrived at 7:20, after waiting in line for 20 minutes to get into the school, to be told “Oh, you have to park a half mile down the road.” I paid a premium price, which included parking, and I KNOW the high school lot was filled with general admission ticket holders. Please, don’t let people start the show in a bad mood. We rushed back to our excellent seats just in time to see the Troopers finishing up the national anthem, and made it (out of breath) in time for their show to begin, BUT PLEASE, show planners, prepare better next time, or find a larger venue for the show!

TROOPERS – 68.80

I applaud the Troopers just for the fact that they are still in existence. The corps is better than last year, and I hope to see them continue to improve in the coming years. My question is, “You have a theme that people recognize…Why not play music that meets that theme?” You don’t have to play the same songs every year, but pick something that people will recognize as yours. I saw some interesting “vintage” drill moves (step-twos anyone?) that I haven’t seen in a while, and enjoyed THAT very much.

MADISON – 79.90

Okay, I’ll start with the nice comment. The hornline has a VERY strong sound. Moving on…I could not tell you much about the drill, except to say, I was always watching the guard…sort of like seeing an accident on the highway, you mean to look away, but you CAN’T. The lack of basics training, confidence and showmanship are SO evident. There is one guy in the weapons section who made me think of myself, but I’m a slightly out of shape 44-year-old guy with no rhythm – watching this guy trying to be graceful was more like watching a deer caught in the headlights. And he was not alone. And what’s with the guy on the saber with the ponytail? Is this really the image that Madison wants to present as its “feature” player? I guess they do, but I don’t get it. Again, the hornline sounded NICE.

SPIRIT – 81.00

First of all, I can’t believe their score was as close to Madison’s as it was. I believe the kids were nervous, as is often the case with a home show. The progress from last year to this year is evident, and the show has some very nice musical and visual moments. Marching technique is a bit of a problem, but I’m expecting great things from this corps in the future. I’m glad the SOUTH has a program like Spirit on the upswing.

CAROLINA CROWN – 81.75

The guard instructor and the visual design team for this corps need to take a long hard look in the mirror. The hornline and drums are doing a great job, and the performance level of the guard is excellent, but the words, “OBTUSE and WHA?” kept popping into my brain. I was not bothered by the guys in the togas, because I guess because I never saw them in pastels, but I WAS bothered by the Medusa wigs (and snakes), the Cupid with wings, the solo guy running through the split company front and many other head-scratching “creative” moments. You have a corps ready to take off, with strong membership, and good basics. I know innovation is good, but innovation, which is not accessible or comprehendible, is NOT. I look forward to upcoming years with Crown, and wish the corps luck in Madison.

BLUECOATS – 86.20

BLOOOOOOOOO! From the wonderful visual color progression of the guard in the opener to the slightly less strong finish, this show is a sign to me that the Bluecoats are a corps on the move. I enjoyed seeing a 30-member rifle line, but would have liked to see more UNISON work from those 30. The mid-section of the show is somewhat bland, but I do look forward to seeing what 2 weeks plus will bring this corps in Madison. Congratulations, Bluecoats, on a job well done.

CAVALIERS – 93.25

MY OH MY! I saw the show in Jacksonville, a month ago, and I was very impressed then -- BUT NOW! The corps marches, plays and performs at a skill level the likes of which I cannot remember seeing in a drum and bugle corps. My only regret (and this is not the corps’ fault) is that I wasn’t about 20 or 30 feet higher so that I could truly see the visual impacts that were going on. I made sure to listen for crowd reactions, and there were plenty, mostly ooohs and aaahs, which is a good thing, but I think one reason people don’t “get” the show, is because the Kennesaw stadium is basically open in the back (can’t wait to hear the backfield stuff in Murphreesboro), and not tall enough for the visual “feast” to be appreciated. The corps has a show which is written for a BIG show venue. This aspect is NOT a bad thing, but I can see how someone attending in a smaller stadium, as last night was, would not be as appreciative. I expect the crowd in Murphreesboro will be a whole different story (yes, I plan to review there as well). I wish I had an opportunity to watch this show at least 10 more times in performance mode, but I regret that I’ll only get to see it four more (okay FIVE with encore). I heard that they are still tweaking/making changes. An amazing drum corps show, and my pick to win the title.

One other note, I read reviews where people say the Cavaliers have NO FIELD COVERAGE or don’t play while moving. They are stretched from end zone to end zone throughout the show, and they are PLAYING while moving, amazingly well. Why do people have to write things that are not true, except trying to bash one corps to improve the chances of another?

CORPSVETS – Exhibition

Okay, there must be some slightly out of shape 44-year old men in that guard and they seem to love performing. So, going back to my comment about the guy from Madison, maybe it’s just anxiety. The CV team HAS NO anxiety and they LOVE performing! Thank you, for a nice ending to an enjoyable (exceptions noted above) drum corps evening.

ReggieDCI

Great review.

CORPSVETS – Exhibition

Okay, there must be some slightly out of shape 44-year old men in that guard and they seem to love performing.  So, going back to my comment about the guy from Madison, maybe it’s just anxiety.  The CV team HAS NO anxiety and they LOVE performing!  Thank you, for a nice ending to an enjoyable (exceptions noted above) drum corps evening.

ReggieDCI

Some of us older guys, not even the ones in the guard, take a bit of an offense to be said we're out of shape. Not one guy in the guard is over 44 and all of them are in good shape. Perhaps you're wording came out wrong in your enthusiasm in writing your review.

Thanks for enjoying our show!

OK, so some of us were just looking at the CV part of the post. Missed the whole Madison thing.

Sorry for any confusion....