I lost a good friend Saturday:(

Steve B!! If I can be a dad as cool as you, my two kids, who suffer through many a day of me watching drum corps videos, may actually have a good life.

GREAT post!! Thank YOU!!!!! Drum corps ain't boring...drum corps diehards have just "been there, done that", and have heard/seen/felt it all.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what cadets need is another 2000 year..... A show that no one can hate, that inovates, that inspires, that makes you get tingles everytime you hear or see it..... truely a show for the ages....

I love this place. It's never boring. When I think I have read it all, more silly DRAMA appears.

Ya know I feel the same way about the Dolphins, Sheesh what's with them? I remember when the Dolphins were unbeatable, Shula had an offensive that could do no wrong. Then, they recruited the best quarterback out of Pitt and never won another championship. I didn't know the pain it would cause me, them losing year after year. I just gave up. It wasn't worth it anymore. My Sundays in the fall have never been the same. What shall I do, what shall I do.

Alas..as a long-time Dolfan, I feel your pain. And after this off season, the saga continues and only gets worse! :(

OMG - Drum Corps Fans and Dolphin fans commiserating on the same thread (note my ID)!

Little did I know that a 3 hour drive to Indianapolis would be for a funeral. Zooming across I-70, I anticipated an evening of drum corps pleasure. My reactions to most were blase. This isn't "my year" for corps. Crown had me at "On the Field..." but that danged microphone marred an otherwise tremendous effort--my favorite this year (congrats, kids!).

It's no secret that I'm a rabid Cadets fan. I've already told the tale of when they absolutely stunned me in semi-finals 1985 (my first live view of them).  Ever since, when I see them enter the field, my heartrate (literally) increases. I salivate! Funny aside: every year, I note the exact time of my "first sighting" (always the waiting pit musicians).

I still hold that 1985 Finals performance as the Greatest Show Ever Done. Sure, Star, Cavies and BD have since outperformed them, but the design and total production have never been surpassed. That's fine. They've had some incredible outings since. There were the lackluster years: '88, '91, '99, and recently, '01 THROUGH '03. But they always rallied back, reinvented the wheel and took me to musical/visual places others cannot.

Well, after their performance on Saturday, they died to me. No more. This is the 4th consecutive year of a truly subpar, unimaginative program. It's crap. I don't care how hard the audience claps; they've become vintage Madison. I actually stared at the stadium clock for the last three minutes wondering if it would ever end. It's boring and has no substance in drill or music or color guard. Of course, I am in the minority here, but I'm hoping the tech staff will come to my hometown and vault Capital Regiment into the upper echelon. J. Sacktig's drill for Cap is FAR more interesting than his Cadet one...hey, it's not his fault. With CAP, he had a VERY good score in which to interpret.

Mr. Hopkins told a sappy tale following their performance about crowd reactions (likening their clinic to a rock concert). Well, I don't care for rock concerts.

Am I throwing away the bushel due to one rotten apple? Yup. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

If you are so turned off by the Cadets show this year ( not my favorite Cadet show either) that it has made you want to never attend a show again, then it's best that you leave as you say. Why drive so far and pay such money for just one Corps viewing? If it's just the Cadets that you principally came for, ( which it sounds like ) then if I was you, I wouldn't want to spend so much time and money driving 3 hours to watch 9 minutes of attempted entertainment that failed either. So Best of luck and goodbye to you.

Edited by Lieut. General Effect

"If you are so turned off by the Cadets show this year ( not my favorite Cadet show either) that it has made you want to never attend a show again, then it's best that you leave as you say. Why drive so far and pay such money for just one Corps viewing? If it's just the Cadets that you principally came for, ( which it sounds like ) then if I was you, I wouldn't want to spend so much time and money driving 3 hours to watch 9 minutes of attempted entertainment that failed either. So Best of luck and goodbye to you."

Lieut. General Effect: You seem to have no idea of what corps fans actually go through year in and year out. Yeah, we could all be like you and jump on the bandwagon, but most of us prefer to listen and watch with style and intelligence, then we relate it to ourselves. If you don't agree try to be a little more diplomatic. Do you know what that means?

Well said Lieut. General Effect

I have a great friend in Oklahoma that I absolutely love going to championships with every year. We have often talked on the phone about why anyone would spend all that money to go to championships to see ONE corps.

Now, for us the highlight of championships is always Phantom Regiment. We may be elated by them or heartbroken depending on the year and show. But, we come to enjoy all the corps and have a great time enjoying all the hard work these wonderful kids, in every corps, have done to hone the shows they are given for our enjoyment.

For the record, I also miss those really innovative and interesting programs that we have come to expect from Cadets. They will be back, I'm sure of it....they will have to be with the surge in competitveness we've witnessed over the past 2 seasons.

Robert

"If you are so turned off by the Cadets show this year ( not my favorite Cadet show either) that it has made you want to never attend a show again, then it's best that you leave as you say. Why drive so far and pay such money for just one Corps viewing? If it's just the Cadets that you principally came for, ( which it sounds like ) then if I was you, I wouldn't want to spend so much time and money driving 3 hours to watch 9 minutes of attempted entertainment that failed either. So Best of luck and goodbye to you."

Lieut. General Effect:  You seem to have no idea of what corps fans actually go through year in and year out.  Yeah, we could all be like you and jump on the bandwagon, but most of us prefer to listen and watch with style and intelligence, then we relate it to ourselves.  If you don't agree try to be a little more diplomatic.  Do you know what that means?

But the poster did not say he was going" to listen and watch with style and intelligence" anymore, did he ? He seemed like his mind was pretty much made up, wouldn't you say ? He said he was through. How can I be more diplomatic with him ? Would it have helpful in any way ? He said he was at a " funeral ". Do you understand his analogy ? For him, "the corpse " in this analogy ( drum corps ) has died. You are asking me to try and help him resusitate a "Corpse ", the Cadets. When I'm with someone at a funeral I usually don't try and walk the dearly beloved over to the deceased laying there, and see if we can revive the " corpse " for him ? Do you ? Look, he didn't say he was THINKING of not going anymore, he pretty much closed that door. I said goodbye and wished him well. Based upon his post, that seems like a proper response. But hey, if you want to hang around the coffin with this guy and discuss the deceased last moments of life, and how and why he died and so forth, then be my guest.

Edited by Lieut. General Effect

For all of you who think OhioStateTad is just a whiner, then you might not be open to what he's saying: There is little innovation when it comes to giving us new and different ways of hearing and visualizing this artistic activity. With few exceptions, corps are regressing to what they believe will get the most points, they are regressing to a product which will have general appeal but doesn't strive to give us anything new or different. Sometimes just the "idea" of a show, or the show concept, can be innovative enough to excite us "high maintenance" creativity-seeking fans, and that's why SCV and Cavies continue to inspire the fans that they've gotten over the years. Cadets used to be in that group. They are no longer.

Will SCV or Cavies fall victim to the same vacuous populism mindset? Worse yet, are we running out of new things to hear and see in drum corps? Trust me, there are a ton of ways that these organizations can innovate, but only a couple organizations are poised to bring it to you. Bottom line: If you like to count notes, then you're gonna like BD. If you like to chew and pop grape-flavored Bubble Yum, then you'll like Cadets. But if you seek highly creative programs then absorb as much as you can from SCV and Cavies. They may not be turning drumcorps innovation on its head, but they are the most inspired programs out there.

So OhioStateTad, cheers to your critique. We all need to push these organizations to continue to push the envelope.

PhilSCV

I think what cadets need is another 2000 year..... A show that no one can hate, that inovates, that inspires, that makes you get tingles everytime you hear or see it..... truely a show for the ages....

heck yes 2000 is my favorite Cadets show ever!

I can understand where Ohiostatetad is coming from. After seeing the show at the Meadowlands 2 weeks ago I came away feeling blase about the whole thing. and don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those purists that think "amps suck" and all that. After all I was a Bridgemen for years, we were the "amps" of the 70's and 80's.

Its just that other than Crown, (which BTW was the most fun I've seen in a while) no one had me on the edge of my seat. The music while amazingly played, never grabbed me. Cadets played Jethro Tull? is that what that was? I mean wow that was complex but... I love Jethro tull (I know I'm showing my age) but forgive me Mr Clinton I knew Jethro tull and you are no Jethro tull!! and all my buds were telling me "wait till you see Blue. well I saw them and they were just like everyone else. Amazing drill, fast licks, running around like crazy and no substance to the "show". Now don't all flip out on me because I don't like something. I appreciate the effort. I for one could not have run around playing like that when I was 19! The drill design and the visual effects today are what I come for now.

I guess I just want the whole package, and not one corps I've seen gives it to me. Give me Crown's show thats as clean and as complex as BD's and I'm right with ya.

Oh and BTW I don't care what anyone tells me, Bb horns cannot replace the G's. the sound is much more rich and creamy, but they are too dark of a sound there is no edge, and no one can play loud on those things.

Its like do you want dark chocolate or spicy salsa? I'll take spicy salsa, but I think that's for another thread!