Murfreesboro Review

Disclaimer: This is the first real review I have ever written, so be nice. Also, I am doing this from a pure fans perspective, not a drum corps expert.

Now with that being said, on to the review...

Jubal: (judged exhibition)

I was pleasently surprised with this corps. They had a good sound. They looked like they were having fun out there. Execution was not great in the marching, but heck, they were having fun and it was a good show. They had some great impact points during their show.

Bluecoats: (7th Place)

I really enjoyed this show. It was fun and very accessable to the crowd. The guard really got into the personality of the show concept. I thought the visual program was much better as a whole than it has been in years past.

Glassmen: (6th Place)

Ok, just to be blunt. I do not like this show. I tried but I just could not get into it. It seems to me that this program is just missing something. I could not put my finger on it. The drumline is one of the strengths of this corps, as they have been in the past. It is very evident from all of the exposure they get in the show. They did a good job. A comment on the unifrom, ptu the triangle back as gold. With the triangle bbeing balck the uniform kind of looks dull.

Crossmen: (8th Place)

Ok, what is up with this corps?? They were having a big off night to night, it seems. Some of the parts at times seemed to be kind of muddy (add more water). Marching was not the best and their were quite a few interval problems (it seems a lot of the corps were having interval problems tonight). It seemed that some of their sets just did not stick, especially some of the straight line moves. I absolutely love this corps, but it pained me to see the struggle tonight. I love the music. The opener is very intense, and you can tell it has to be hard to play and clean. The ballad was beautiful. And I loved Strawberry Soup. It was scary to think that they, come finals week, might be deep in the battle with Spirit, Crown, Madison and Seattle for some of the lower positions of the top twelve.

Phantom Regiment: (5th Place)

I aboslutely loved this show! I have not been able to say that for the past few years about them, but WOW! This show is great! A very balanced corps. This was the first corps of the night that completely captivated me with their whole program. The guard was great. The brass had a very rich sound. (Side note: I could not help but think how good this show would look with the black uniforms. :P ) I was just completely impressed with them. I can see them and Boston battling it out for 5th or possible even 4th come finals week. If they continue to clean and work just a few small things out.

Santa Clara Vanguard: (4th Place)

Right off the bat...the uniforms. I am not sure I completely like them. The green seemed to get lost in field. Don't get me wrong they are nice, but I think I liked the old ones better. Maybe, these will grow on me. On to the show... This is an interesting concept for a show. They pull it off well. Nothing really stands out from their show to me. I do remember several guard memebers having some problems with the shiney box things, during a very visible part of the show. Their pit is very good and their cymbal line are just phenominal.

Blue Devils: (3rd Place)

What are fun show! The arrangements are different, but they work. Many of the selections don't even sound like the original songs, but I liked them. House of the Rising Sun was just plain awesome! They have a very strong guard with A LOT of personality. And they get to show it. Great impacts during the show, with lots of energy.

The Cadets: (2nd Place)

This show has everything... :D Literally. This is a very crowd pleasing show. Very good throughout the whole corps. Of course, the crowd went nuts over the pledge. I thought it was great, but I am not sure if it exactly fits the context of where it is at. I don't know, I could be wrong. I kind of feel like they are trying to put too much into the show. The musical selections are great. Boogie Woogie was one of my favorites of the night. The Brassline has some power behind it! They can really put the sound out. The guard, as always, does a great job telling the story.

The Cavaliers (1st Place)

WOW! This show rocks! I was concerned at the beginning of the season with more original music, like the past two years, but I really ejoyed the music. I was even humming it on my way out of the stadium. Visual...Visual...Visual! I have always loved the Cavies drill and this year is no different. Very crisp and precise drill. They are non-stop moving machines. I know a lot of people don't like the dancing part of the show, but to me it was one of the best parts. Both of them. In the middle and right at the end. WOW! this show is just, in my opinion, complete. Just continue cleaning and shaping up and it is good to go. I know there has been a lot of talk about whether they can be beat. I think so, but it will take a lot of hard work and determination to beat this program and corps. But, it is possible.

My order of enjoyable shows (not best shows, but enjoyable)

Cavaliers

Blue Devils

Phantom Regiment

Cadets

Bluecoats

Crossmen

SCV

Glassmen

Overall, great night for Drum Corps. I really wish they would change the Murfreesboro show back to the two day event, and bring back all of the corps. It is a great stadium and a great set up for the show. Bought my 1991 Legacy DVD and can't wait to watch it!

Ah, shucks

:blink:

Thanks!

I would have to say that all three of the murfreesburo recaps are the best of this season that I have seen. I like yours the best because it comes more from a fans perspective and tells us what a fan see's.

Bravo!!!

So then it just wasn't me that found the SCV show...uh not quite as captivating as usual.

I thought I was just in shock after seeing Blue Devils opener. To me Ragtime was foreign or something...just not a BD Song I guess and kind of left me trying to find something good about the show.

I'd really say that this years BD hornline was the Best I have ever seen (umm 91 is my favorite though). and trust me I have seen EVERY BD hornline since 1970.

Channel one was ok to me...I'm just tired of Ch 1. To me I got rhythm is just a total Jaw dropper :o whoa is what I thought when hearing that number.

i like the fact that it is hard to follow (but that is just me)

Thanks for the review.

I particularly liked seeing your order of enjoyable shows. ( do not agree with your choices but I enjoy seeing how other people feel about the different shows) I think everyone should rank shows by enjoyment in their reviews.

Bill D

As the season progressed, it's fun to see these reviews. I have been at this place since May only, but I have yet to see a show (Wednesday, it's finally coming!!).

Anyway, I like your review too. For some reason, there are the little things like your favorites lineup that I thoroughly enjoyed (Go Phantom!!)

...hmm....another review to add to my "Nominate for Best Review Contest" perhaps...

me gusta mucho!