Corps Abuse

mbandguy

It's hard to believe that this kind of thing is still going on.  It really is old school to do this kind of thing and I'm not necessarily referring to drum corps specifically but in any educational setting.  Military ethics serve a purpose in the military but in drum corps or any other educational setting it has no value.  I'm not suggesting that corps become a hug-fest but corporal punishment, either physical or verbal, is pointless.  Treating members as professionals is key: they will respond the way they are regarded. 

I didn't catch which corps this was going on in but either the director is unaware of this going on or is unwilling to do anything about it.  If the later is true get your kid out of there!  He'll just learn to hate drum corps!  It could also be potentially dangerous!  The legal implications are almost definately fatal for this corps and it will enjoy a short life span if it continues to embrace this kind of philosophy.

Proffesionals get yelled out many times in the real world, Buddy Rich was infamous for this. Even in normal working conditions you screw up, you bet your sweet plump ace that your boss is gonna come lookin for you and God help you if this isn't your first screw up. Punishment is something parents do to kids, your boss can't punish you, unless you get fired, but they sure let you hear about it. I've seen motivation and I've also seen real world discussions where they call a spade a spade, you act like an ace, they tell you "hey man, your acting like an ace, knock it off"

just my experience

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Buddy Rich rehearsal tape is precious....I lost my copy but Oh, that Buddy!

As for corporal punishment, the worst sting I ever got was for a "showboating" incident at my first competition with Anaheim Kingsmen....gave a little wave to the crowd at the end of my part of a quartet number......Rocco came up to me afterwards and said "...Ron, I would have expected that from anybody but you!"

OUCH! Lesson learned and, since that happened way back when I was just 19 (I'm now 57 and change) apparently I never forgot the power of those words, not loud, and not really in front of the whole corps....just the words.

Discipline comes from the heart. If it didn't, nobody would put up with the "abuse."

But if you think it was too much, too vulgar or whatever, make your feelings know to the instruction staff in the proper manner and at the proper time.

RON HOUSLEY

67 Anaheim Kingsmen

Edited by ffernbus3

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I don't let get stuff like that get to me, and I find it good basis for amusing stories later on, so I don't mind it. Life would be boring with out funny stories about band directors or instructors freaking out and screaming or throwing stuff... it doesn't make them a good leader, but it is funny.

I've heard that Buddy Rich tape. My tenor tech played it for us on the way to a WGI comp. That's funny!

I know some corps were abusive during my years. However, I always heard about them from "former" members of those corps as they left those corps to join the one I was in. I, and my friends, were fortunate the organization we marched in had a different attitude.

There was no abuse.

In the Blue Devils during the early 80's, it was the responsibility of the veterans to let others know what was expected and to ensure practices went smoothly. Section leaders ran sectionals and at times, rehearsals.

The veterans certainly pushed the rookies. We were treated with respect and it was made known what was expected of us. We also knew what the alumni expected of us.....to continue the traditions they established......and the main tradition was that of excellence.

We did not do laps, push-ups, or whatever if things weren't going well. If things weren't going well......rehearsal got out late due to "one more time". There were times we got our butts kicked by rehearsing very late. There were also times when rehearsal got out hours ahead of time because we were on top of what needed to be done.

We were very laid back. We didn't stand at attention, parade rest, set, or whatever. We just hung out until it was time for "horns up". When the horns came up, it was show time...regardless of the hour of day or who was in front of us (one staff member or hundreds of fans). From what I see today, this standard is still part of the culture of Team Blue.

Our success or failure was purely up to us. The staff gave us guidance, but it was up to us to go for the kill.........and we did......and we had a blast doing it.

Edited by bd5times

I have seen this route as well, though not recently. I've heard threats, obsenities. However, I think pushups, situps and laps are a normal part of drum corps. They shouldn't be used in every case, but sometimes they are waranted; it's more of a self-punishment. A reminder to yourself that you're slacking.

um...that has to be the stupidest question i've ever heard...i pray to god that you are kidding...

Don't worry, I am; screw up might be a more suitable wording though. When I think of ticking I think multiple people playing the same thing, like a snare line, and one person drops the ball.

Now if you had 9 timpanists playing flamdrags....