Corps Abuse

mbandguy

I hope drum corps are tough on these kids because the rest of the world treats young people like a bunch of fragile little pansies = let's just spare the "screaming vulgarities" and "corporal punishment" parts -- those are ineffective, unprofessional at even unsafe when pushed to the extreme.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, that kind of instructing should not be allowed! I was in Drum Corps "many galaxies ago" - and never had to put up with that abuse. My father-in-law was horn instructor, whom got inducted into Mass Drum Corps Hall of Fame, and never swore or raised his voice, one look - you knew you screwed up! And because of that you wanted to do better! On the other hand, when you did great - praise was always there - which also made you want to strive harder! It was always for the good of the corps - hard work, dedication, team work - and we didn't have to be put down, humiliated - to perform better! Sorry just my two cents

Sorry, that kind of instructing should not be allowed! I was in Drum Corps "many galaxies ago" - and never had to put up with that abuse. My father-in-law was horn instructor, whom got inducted into Mass Drum Corps Hall of Fame, and never swore or raised his voice, one look - you knew you screwed up! And because of that you wanted to do better! On the other hand, when you did great - praise was always there - which also made you want to strive harder! It was always for the good of the corps - hard work, dedication, team work - and we didn't have to be put down, humiliated - to perform better! Sorry just my two cents

so I will do my part in my own small way, to see to it that corporal punishment is not a part of the activity anywhere!

As a person who has marched, TECHED, and teaches marching percussion. There is a fine line between BEST a kid and giving them a WAKEUP call with the use of push ups/laps/leg scissors( i hated those).. for one if the player isnt physically able to hold up the drum and play. some time you have to push him a bit to dig deeper. i remember i wasnt the slimest or the fastest marcher on the field and i got RODE a bit .. till i used the P.Oed feelin the tech gave me (toward his OVER TECHING of my marching and preformance on the field) and used it as a means to "SUCK IT UP" and polish what was dirty.. i wasnt kicked or beatin just a bit of negative reinforcement. it not a bad thing its just a tool to be use in small doses.

As for the cussing and any rapid fire obsecene rants from a tech...

If a tech came up to me and grabed the front of my drum and asked me on what count of that drill move we where rehearsing did my brain fell out of my ### on. it was a jokin reminder to wake up and do my job.. if its done wth some form of tact and the kid responds in a positive way. what did it kill..

i can say i try not to cuss infront of my kids in my line becuase they ar 7-12 grade kids..

Cj

I hate to name a specific corps but I know someone (a percussion tech my freshman and sophomore years in high school) who marched bass drum with Madison in 1993 who experienced the abuses described in the original post. It left a very bad taste in his mouth and though he was invited back for the 1994 season, he chose not to return and my high school band director has said that Madison apparently doesn't always treat their kids very well. I hope this is the exception rather than the rule.

...he chose not to return and my high school band director has said that Madison apparently doesn't always treat their kids very well.  I hope this is the exception rather than the rule.

I hope as well this is the exception, because it would seem to me that perhaps Madison should figure out how to program a show before worrying about mistreating their kids.

But hey...what do I know...

I'm just a ex-VK'er...

You know, I marched with a junior corps a long, long time ago. We were a mainly what you would call inner city kids today. I marched for 8 years and I don't remember any incident of verbal or physical abuse. And, I don't remember any hazing or intra corps violence and we were considered a pretty rought corps by the other corps of that era. Maybe these instructors have seen the first half of "Full Metal Jacket" too many times. :angry:

the answer to your question..is yes.

i was a veteran member of a div 1 corps this summer, being that i marched before i do know what corps is suppose to be like but things were taken to a extreme, so i didn't end the season with this corps.

Yes drum corps is suppose to be hard work...but is it suppose to be beating the kids into the ground? IMO,no.

My advice would be to make sure you really research who will be teaching at the corps,where did they teach before? talk to someone who has marched under them before. Just try to find out as much as you can.

Edited by Spinninchick63

In my three years of Corps, all of them included a full summer of staff screaming with removed language governors. And you know, if that didn't work, we would certainly run until it did. It was really #### hard, and some people broke down because of it, but never at any point could it be considered abusive. Drum Corps is supposed to be hard, and if people can't deal with the reality of it, then most likely the activity was not meant for them. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. All I can say is that in corps, I was beaten into the ground, and I'm extremely grateful for it.