Corps Abuse

mbandguy

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 27th we were pushed physically but not abused. Sometimes, the instructors would roll out stories about such abuse from that OTHER corps from Boston, saying how good we had it. ;-)

I can only remember one time an instructor really got in my face. He was spitting mad, and I didn't understand what he wanted me to do, so I kept telling him so, and he started in with some "are you dumb" type of stuff. I'm cool with normal sorts of pressure - and used to push really hard thru physical pain (like everyone else in corps) but this had never happened before. So, after just getting heaped with verbal abuse, I put my snare down and said I am not going to take this kind of thing, and either we do this civilly or I walk. The drum instructors defused it, and we never had a problem again.

There is a difference between working hard and it being taken to a different level. My first summer we worked very hard,this past summer was something different. It wasn't working, we often had people having hospital trips,and letting the staff know they were exhausted. Oh well I am not going to go into it much more on here, as I will not name the corps or the staff. But just because drum corps is about working hard, it doesn't mean that everything that happens at corps is okay. I wasn't some naive 15 year old kid marching. I have been involved in wg for 7 seasons and drum corps for 2 and I know about working hard and yes I can hack it. But I am also old enough to where I am not going to let someone treat me like a bag of crap everyday for 3 months.

Edited by Spinninchick63

totally

:sshh:

Edited by InspaDave

I was yelled at by a leader last year. It was pretty bad, but there was no cussing involved. I know that on the field though, the F word was offten said a lot. I think that in a corps like Blue Devils, Cavaliers, or other division one corps this is expected. The leaders know that these people are older and more mature. They usually use punishments like pushups and yelling curse words to drive members to the championship level. In most cases, it works. In a div two or three corps, this shouldn't happen however. The leaders of the corps should understand that members in these corps are alot younger and are just learning about the drum corps experience. This kind of harshness might steer younger kids away from the activity. As mentioned previously, if the member that is being referred to is in a div two or three corps and is young, the director should be notified as soon as possible. If the director is not informed of the situation, it might not stop.

I go back to the late '60's so I know how it could be "back in the day" - but I'm really disturbed that some of these posts indicate that this stuff still goes on?

About pushups and laps etc - I can see this as it serves two purposes. One, making sure the student understands they have made an error (usually repeatedly - the staff needs to explain what they need to see/hear the first couple of times). Two - it's a physical activity and requires a high degree of athleticism. We do a regular running block every day and in addition will use pushups or laps to enhance conditioning at the same time.

About verbal or physical abuse - it has no place in the activity - especially if your child is in a Div 3 corps(?) If you don't get anywhere with the corps director my advice would be to find another corps. If you feel you must warn prospective members off, warn them about that specific corps, but please don't condemn the entire activity.

Beside being an instructor I'm also a dad (my daighters both march) and I'm VERY happy with the environment in which they learn, and the positive effects drum corps has had for them both.

Jim

I think that in a corps like Blue Devils, Cavaliers, or other division one corps this is expected.

I'm not so sure about that. Our corps sat in in a BD practice the night before quater finals, and I was expecting it to be a "nastier" environment than our own because of the age of the members. What I saw was a very respectful teaching environment.

I think that in a corps... Cavaliers, or other division one corps this is expected. The leaders know that these people are older and more mature. They usually use punishments like pushups and yelling curse words to drive members to the championship level.

neg... That sort of thing usually just drives people to being ###### off and drives the rehearsal into the ground. Getting to that championship level, at least in our case, came from rehearsing and being treated like professionals like someone mentioned above about a BD rehearsal. IMO the "punishment" philosophy is a cop-out for instructors who would can't/won't TEACH - i.e. identify the mistake and explain how to prevent and fix it. Doing 20 pushups or running a lap doesn't really clean that roll. True, it makes the kids realize they made a mistake. But if that is what it takes to know there was a mistake, then they have bigger problems :angry:

Edited by Cavalier2123