Murfreesboro, TN Review 7/26/02

After 4 days of band camp, I needed a little recharging. Murfreesboro, here we come!!!

We got into Murfreesboro just in time to watch the heavens open up. Like we needed something to boost the humidity here in the South!!! Got to the Cadets rehearsal site to pick up 5 of our tickets (Thanks again, Kwynn!!) and catch some of the Cadets rehearsal.....well, at least we got the tickets. Hoppy was running around with a cell phone attached to his ear trying to "negotiate" with someone (principal, AD, football coach) about the use of the field. The Cadets apparently lost the battle and so did we. The corps had to move to another practice field so we decided to grab some food before heading to the stadium and catching the Cavies clinic.

Cavies clinic - We turned the kids loose and went into the stands to find our seats. The clinic was emceed by Cesario. I'm sure the kids liked it, but I felt like I was watching an infomercial. Even Cesario got a plug for his uniform design from Fiedler. Hey, gotta pay the bills somehow. Clinic was well received.

Stopped by the DCI booth and picked up the midseason CD. Cool. Showtime!!!

We had a party of 10 split into 2 groups, 5 up top on the 35, 5 more on the 50 on row 17. Since my last two shows were up top, I opted for the 50 yard line down low. Amongst me I had a band parent and a younger brass student (first DC show ever) my sister in law (second show of the year) and another brass student who had went to her first DC show ever back in June. Some interesting opinions from this group.

The weather: Well, no rain, but it seemed like it got hotter and more humid as the night wore on, especially towards the end of the evening. Stands looked full on the concert side.

One Major Complaint: To the persons sitting in Section 2S, Row 17, Seats 8 and 9 - When attending a drum and bugle corps show, it is usually considered good form not to speak loudly throughout a corps' performance. I was nice enough to try to drop you a hint between corps, but getting on a cell phone at the beginning of the Cadets show and LOUDLY telling the person on the other end to listen......and then trying to explain what they were listening to LOUDLY.... At least when the guy on the other side finally said what everyone around us wanted to say, you finally shut up. About time.

On to the review:

Jubal - This little corps from Holland was really putting out some sound. 30 brass (and I mean brass.....brass bugles. Haven't seen the likes of that since Memphis Blues and Bridgemen). Good jazz show with an old Devs opener (Brain is still cloudy - Was it "You Gotta Try"?). The guard unis were actually kinda interesting (I know someone used this style before....black pants witha yellow fabric panel attached to the outside seams that wraps around the back. Drill was fast paced. Heard a LOT of feet in the horns, but that'll clean up. Nice job, folks!

Bluecoats: Urban Dances is one of the strongest programs Bluecoats have put on the field in a long time. Visual demand is way up. However, so is everyone elses. Brass is cooking. Guard is strong along with the percussion. This is a fun show that is going to keep these guys in the thick of things. I thought the visual execution was one of the weakest links here. Spacing problems and sets not quite locking. I had Crossmen ahead of them.

Crossmen: Horn line was smoking...... the visual book was mucho improved over the past, but has some problem spots still. I felt a couple of phasing problems. I like the show and especially the drill. Strawberry Soup works....not your Madison or Devs version....definitely has the Naffier sound. I didn't really catch a lot of the guard book, but my sis said it was a good book, not performed as well as it could be. Like this show and the power of the brass line. Band booster really dug this show.

Glassmen - (2nd viewing) Maybe it's because it was the second time, maybe it was that I was expecting to be bored (I love those tshirts), maybe it was because the moon was out - I think I'm starting to like this show. In a prior review, I called this show "pleasant". It is. Actually liked this show more than SCV's. As with the other corps, the execution of the drill seemed a little off and the brass seemed a little timid, almost safe.

Phantom - (2nd viewing) - I was hoping this show would grow on me....it hasn't (yet). The brass line put out a great lush sound that is sweet. Once again, the DC rookies around me noticed the difference in the sound, for those who think Bb vs G is a moot point. Guard performed well. Just not digging the show yet. I had Glassmen ahead of these guys, although I was hoping for PR to move ahead (which they did).

SCV - Maybe it was the break, but you could see a definite jump in quality from the last group. SCV is playing well, but I really don't buy this show. As bad as I hate to say it, this show is on the edge of being boring. It's performed very well, but has nothing to grab you. And I profess to be a SCV fan.

BD - (2nd viewing) - THE surprise of the night. Some of the angst in the chordal voicing has been toned down and a lot of little things added..... this show is enjoyable and now has the GE that was lacking in June. Guard was performing with surety and oozed projection. Although the visual program is still lacking (drill, not exevution), this show could climb out of the #3 spot especially if....

Cadets - (2nd viewing) - First, let me say, I love this show. However, tonight, it wasn't as on as I expected. Saw a lot of little glitches in the drill, which are fatal around the Cavies. The show lacked the spark and emotion I saw last week in Murray, KY, especially the closer. The end of the show seems to have something missing..... are there changes coming? (Not just the very discussed possibility of the 9/11 reference.) Seems like a few more chords and a small slice of drill and it could put this show over the top, at least when the energy is there.

Cavies (2nd Viewing) - Not much to say......this show is performed flawlessly. 2 comments - For whatever reason, the guard seems not as sharp as in the past. Still don't like the silks. Also, the Cavies play safe - Volume never reaches that of many of the other corps. Controlled volume = more controlled pitch seems to be the Cavies approach.

Finale: Still want the old version of America/O Canada back. As the corps played God Bless America, the crowd began to stand enmasse with hands over their hearts. A definite cool moment.

One comment for DCI - Alert the local business association that a few thousand hungry fans will be in the area after 11:00 (Which, by the way, is when many businesses closed their door, at least the two we went to before we found a Waffle House that wasn't covered over.)

Thanks for a great 2002 to ALL of the corps still out there doing their thing. My season ended last night (or this morning about 5:30 when I finally dropped off the last of my kiddies and got home.) Best of luck to all.

>>>>>Sorry it was your last show of the season - I know how that hurts!<<<<<

Yeah, I'd like to get to Madison, but with school starting soon, the only way I'll get there is to win the DCI contest (Although I have been looking at flights to O'Hare from Nashville.....just in case!).

One Major Complaint: To the persons sitting in Section 2S, Row 17, Seats 8 and 9 - When attending a drum and bugle corps show, it is usually considered good form not to speak loudly throughout a corps' performance. I was nice enough to try to drop you a hint between corps, but getting on a cell phone at the beginning of the Cadets show and LOUDLY telling the person on the other end to listen......and then trying to explain what they were listening to LOUDLY.... At least when the guy on the other side finally said what everyone around us wanted to say, you finally shut up. About time.

Same thing happened to us in our section. We were sitting right in the middle of a group of freshman band students who seemed more interested in squirming, giggling and talking about their upcoming band camp than watching the show. Their director was a few feet away and never said a word to them; it was dissappointing.

Ah, Freshmen, just wait till your on the field....

Of course I can say this, being a superior sophomore..... :blink:

Anyway, thanks for the review. No doubt you had a fun night, regardless of the annoyances.

Is that Midseason CD a good buy? I'm thinking of what to buy and that's a possible one on my "list."

I can't wait, my first show is in three more days! Then it's off to finals night. I can't wait!

[/rubbing it in to the guys who don't get to go to finals... :( ]

But good review!