MY MURPHREESBORO REVIEW

Murphreesboro, TN

July 26, 2002

Let me begin this review with an apology. In my review of Kennesaw, I was a little too hard on a couple of folks in the Scouts. The guy in the weapons line, regardless of my opinion, was busting his butt to do his job on the field. I noticed last night as I was at ground level for the America/Oh Canada, God Bless America that the kids in front of me were TIRED. I forgot how hard those summers were, and I can only imagine what it is like now. The kids work hard in oppressive heat day after day to entertain us, and last night reminded me. So, guy from Madison, go out there and keep on giving it YOUR BEST. I’ll cheer for you in quarterfinals.

The MTSU stadium is an EXCELLENT venue. Our seats were ABOVE the effect judge’s right on the 50 -- incredible view of the drills. My only wish is that the back stands were more concrete than metal, but they only slightly affected the sound bouncing back.

JUBAL (Judged Exhibition)

I was pleasantly surprised. I think touring with DCI corps is only going to be a GOOD thing for this group and the Drum Corps activity in Europe. I like the guard uniform, and the horn line had some nice impact moments. Drill and marching are an issue, and that can be upgraded in time. Thank you, JUBAL, for making the trip.

CROSSMEN (8th – 84.55)

I was really looking forward to this show. I loved the Crossmen in 2001, and had heard so many great things in reviews of them here, especially their opener. Perhaps the oppressive humidity had something to do with it, but they just seemed a little “off.” They have a very nice program, but it never reached out to me, as did last year’s show. This was just a first viewing and I’ll probably grow to love it by finals. Those guard uniforms look rather WARM.

BLUECOATS (7th – 86.05)

I enjoyed seeing the Bluecoats from a higher perspective. They do a nice new effect with the tier-colored flags in the opener, doing a magical transformation to all bright yellow flags which was very effective. The urban chic look isn’t to my tastes, but when they add the color to the guard uniforms, it improves them tremendously. Keep up the good work, Bluecoats! Thanks!

GLASSMEN (6th – 87.95)

Their mellophone soloist is incredible, but he did not get quite the showcase this year that last year provided. This corps is SO talented, and they are very well trained. Why then, do I not feel any attraction to this show? It’s a mystery to me. The hornline had a nice dark sound, they have a great drumline, a talented guard and a clean drill, but I’m just not excited or motivated by what I see. I am so looking forward to their staff taking the group they have and building a program that is a challenge to the kids and rewarding to its audience as well. Good luck in Madison, Glassmen!

PHANTOM REGIMENT (5th – 88.00)

I did not like Phantom on my first viewing of them last year; however, as the season progressed, particularly the three Buffalo performance, I grew to like them VERY much. They have a great sound, an incredible guard (please change the opening rifles to white), and a good, but not great drill. What they don’t have is intensity and emotion that I’m sure they are working on. I look forward to seeing two weeks of improvement on this show.

SANTA CLARA (4th – 91.95)

The “rubber band” flags get my award for the most creative innovation of the year. Did those come from WGI? But, while I love the above-mentioned flags, the boxes are ineffective and cumbersome. The corps is very talented and there are some beautiful moments in this show, but there are also some weak transitions and a bit of choppiness in the flow. Also, the show is not as “affecting” as their recent efforts have been. Perhaps two weeks will be enough to add some emotion and move up…We’ll see…

BLUE DEVILS (3rd – 92.65)

I saw the Blue Devils in Jacksonville over a month ago, and except for the “hair guard” and most of the music, it seems like a whole new show. They have great musical transitions; however, the visual isn’t quite where you would expect from the Blue Devils. Some forms not reaching completion is very unlike BD; but I expect them to be much cleaner and much closer, if not past the Cadets by finals.

THE CADETS (2nd – 92.65)

This was my first viewing of the show, and I forced myself to remain objective, to not let the reviews, neither positive nor negative, affect what I had to say about this corps. Maybe I remained too calm. I was not drawn into the show at all. Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy is well performed, but I can’t stop thinking about those BOXES (someone behind me said the sailor looked like Moammar Khadafi), they were walking all around them, dancing all over them, but not MARCHING. The complaint I’ve had with the Cadets for a long time has been that when they march they are wonderful, but they don’t seem to do enough of it for me. The Pledge left me indifferent; I didn’t care one way or the other. But the crowd DID enjoy it. It seems to me that, come Madison, those two gray “structures” framing the half mast flag are going to transform into two other shapes altogether (WTC, anyone?). The guard was great as usual and I do like the stars flags in the closer. The American flag formation there is GREAT. I look forward to seeing the show again. Maybe I’ll enjoy it more on a second viewing, Thursday in Madison.

THE CAVALIERS (1st – 94.85)

This show has the obvious, the subtle, the amazing, and the awe-inspiring. The hornline was incredible and the backfield section was one of the most beautiful musical moments of the night. I do not claim to be a musical judge, but my idea of Music GE is the goose bumps I get. I got goose bumps several times during the Cavaliers’ show. They’ve added a new high-flying twist to the “fight club” segment, and I want those of you who are going to see the show, to notice when the guard is putting down the “rhythm” squares stage right, the location of the last horn player to the left. It’s incredible the way these guys fly across the field. And as good as they are, there is still room for improvement. I would like to see the hornline have some more volume on a few impact points, but then I remember 1995, and having the same feeling until Thursday of DCI when the corps turned around for the first impact in Mars. I have the feeling they are going to be pumping up the volume very soon. The show is a magical one, and I can’t wait to see it again. Exceptional job, Cavaliers!

ReggieDCI