DCI Midwestern Championships Review

Guest Aderagon

Guest Aderagon

Here's an Afternoon Indy review, I'll post my Evening review tomorrow. Enjoy!

--------------------

AFTERNOON SHOW

1 – Crossmen (85.65)

2 – Seattle Cascades (84.55)

3 – Spirit (83.85)

4 – Colts (82.70)

(They will be reviewed as part of the Evening Show)

Jubal (Exhibition)

Jubal started off the afternoon show in a judged exhibition. What a pleasant surprise! Performing their show, “Variations in Jazz” Jubal warmed up the crowd very nicely. They are a corps from The Netherlands, and are about the size of a Division II/III corps. However, this corps features some great solo and small ensemble work, and flows very nicely. These guys can really jam, too!

There was some feet in the sound and some dirty licks, and also a small baritone/contra collision towards the end, but otherwise, fine performance.

High point: Soloists.

Low point: Sound clarity at times.

Madison Scouts (7th Place, 81.35)

I watched the Scouts’ rehearsal before the show, and they seemed confident and ready to go. Their 2002 show, “Conquest!” is a good, entertaining one, slightly better than last year’s offering, but still down from some of their great shows of the 90’s. The warmup is excellent, but I must agree with others – the armor and helmets need to go. They look fine, but there is too much lag time between the warmup and show because of the guard changing. Many say the weak point for the Scouts this year is their color guard, and I agree – to a point. They aren’t bad, but they are down a level from years past and from the other corps. I think some of the strong competition all around hurts the Scouts too, as they just haven’t been able to improve and raise their scores as fast as their opponents. Brass and drums are excellent, with some powerful moments from both sections. No conspiracy - Madison just has too much to clean in too short of time – I don’t see them in Finals this year, sadly.

High point: Horns and drums.

Low point: Color Guard.

Kiwanis Kavaliers (8th Place, 71.65)

The Kiwanis Kavalier’s merger with Tampa Bay Thunder seems to be a good one – quite a larger corps now than in the past. Performing their show, “Hall of Justice”, this corps simply has fun – and you can tell. The color guard is a highlight of the corps, with some great moments. The huge drumline is just that, but plays in balance with the rest of the corps. The hornline plays some favorites like Danny Elfman’s “Batman” and “Spider-Man”, but the things in between are pretty flat. The energy level seems to drag in between the “big” numbers. However, the ending is very strong and this show has potential to grown even more before the end of the season.

High point: Energy of the corps.

Low point: Show drags in places.

Southwind (9th Place, 71.55, .4 penalty)

I’m not sure why there was a penalty, but Southwind was passed up by the Kiwanis Kavaliers this afternoon. Southwind performs their show, “Evolution”, well – but it is much too flat most of the time. They start off strong with “Tocatta and Fugue”, and they have some nice moments sprinkled around in “Marche Slav”, but overall – bland arrangements and drill hurt a very talented corps.

High point: Some truly great musical moments in the show…

Low point: ..but not enough to liven up the music.

Pioneer (11th Place, 67.45, 1.0 penalty)

When Pioneer set up for their show, everything seemed ready for their “Oliver – With a Twist” program. However, Pioneer was missing their two Drum Majors! dcp journalist Kendra Osterhout was doing a great job playing Oliver (What a cutie!) during warmup, and for an extended period of time afterwards while the corps waited for the DM’s. Many minutes later, once the show got underway, it went fairly well. It seems the corps has added in more performance/GE things, and the corps is still getting used to them. Many of the “bells and whistles” looked forced and unpolished, and that will change after more cleaning. The benches are a good idea and used effectively, but need to be repainted soon. Musically, the pit is very hard to hear on the backfield, and mallets are completely drowned out by the battery, who overpowers the small hornline as well. The horn book is written well for the size of the corps, as is the visual book. Color guard does well for it’s size. An enjoyable show, but Pioneer needs to recruit more or seriously consider returning to Division II.

High point: Show is written for their size, enthusiasm in the corps.

Low point: Drumline too large, performance issues.

Troopers (10th Place, 69.65)

“America’s Corps” looked much stronger than in years past, and showed in passing up Pioneer for the 10th spot. Their program, “Red, White, and Blue”, was performed well, but it was odd hearing the Troopers play more modern and esoteric pieces. The highlight of the show is the ballad, “An American Elegy” by Frank Ticheli. The rest of the show doesn’t come put as much, but is still performed well. The Troop really turns it on for this one, and it is a beautiful moment. Much improved playing and marching from last year – things are looking up for the Troopers. Guard is the best I’ve seen them. Also, congrats to a seven-year veteran of the Troopers that was interviewed afterwards!

High point: Overall a stronger corps than the past few years, the ballad.

Low point: Show design seems a little off for the Troop.

Carolina Crown (5th Place, 81.95)

Carolina Crown’s performance of “Greek Mythology: Stories of Gods and Heroes” was a mixed bag for me. The opening was strong, with strains of “Medea”. However, this soon gets covered up with lots of dissonant punch chords and phrases, for the rest of the opener. Their second song, “Eros” is the highlight for me. Beautiful melodies and interesting uses of sabers (re” bow and arrows) make this an enjoyable and well, cute part of the show. “One Day I’ll Fly Away” is done rather well for the field, I was surprised. However, I just did not like the closer. Their version of Medea seemed too cluttered, and the show ends before you know it. Guard is the highlight, but the hornline is much stronger than last year, as is the drumline. One note – do more with the pillars. The look great, but one was just sitting on the 10 yard line the whole show, far away from everything. Crown will need to turn it on if they want a chance at finals.

High Point: Color Guard.

Low Point: Clarity of music at times.

Blue Knights (6th Place, 81.60)

Blue Knights show, “Fear and Trembling” is another odd one to review. I have always loved Blue Knights for their visual aspect. Yes, I like the dancing sopranos. I loved their 2000 show, but this year’s show is much too esoteric and “modern”, I think. There are some great musical moments, especially In the ballad. All sections of the corps are excellent – I think the show is just not right for them. There are good things about this show, such as the use of the mallets and the trademark hand-painted flags (done in a darker style, of course). I see BK making semifinals, but nothing higher.

High point: Body movement.

Low point: Show is very hard to get into.

Overall comments:

This is my first and only show (counting the Evening show) of the season. Some good things happening everywhere. Many drumlines are 'dutting' pretty loud for July, and it dampens some otherwise great moments. Echo was not too bad, but noticeable. Very nice show!

Thanks for reading!

~Cody Jones

I agree with a lot of your stuff, as I was there as well.

I enjoyed Southwinds show, and thought they should be higher than the Kavies. This is coming from a brass nut who never marched corps though.

The Blue Knights almost never march! They do so many visuals that they stop being effective. This became even clearer to me when seeing the Cavies show, who use them to perfection.

Looking forward to your evening show reviews, as it was the best show I've ever been at.