Des Plaines review...

Late Sunday night/Monday morning, so not too verbose at this hour...

Weather's been miserably hot in Chicago last couple days. Cooled off a bit tonight for showtime, but the air was still felt relatively 'thick'. Thunderstorms were predicted, but as I look to the west right now, I can JUST see the lightning starting to crack, so it got in under the gun.

I was on the 45, but LOW, so can't really speak to big picture visual design questions, though I could write in detail a fair number of the drum books out there (LOTS of 16th notes, buzz rolls, and single taps from the snare lines...)

Mandarins opened the show. A lot of really nice things in this program, particularly from the guard (they had one of the better guard uni designs of the night, imho, in part, because the guard uni appears to be part of the same general uniform concept as the brass and drum line). Great color choices for flags throughout. Horn line put out a decent sound, some pretty nasty attacks here and there, and, I thought a few intonation problems on occasion. Biggest problem (and I suspect I'll be saying this a lot for the first 4 corps) is program selection. The finale of the show got a big hand, and there were a few nice moments that happened before that, but the show itself has no shape. It starts, it gets quiet for awhile, it goes on until it's over. No musical segment of 2 or 3 minutes that stands alone as a solid piece of work. Seems to be fairly ambitious in terms of stated design intentions, but it doesn't work, at least it didn't for me.

Troopers were up next. Watched basic block for the hornline before going into the stadium, and noticed lots of serious dress and interval issues that indicated a fairly inexperienced line, from a marching standpoint. Also looked like a fairly young group in comparison to the other Div 1 corps. I think they might have the highest Contra to other horns ratio in drum corps - I counted 7 for what looked like a 35 man hornline... Show design is pleasant, but nothing really memorable happens. Sunburst looks like it kinda maybe happens (as I said I was low, and there was little response to it), but aside from that, it's somewhat like Mandarins, it just starts, then stops. Guard unis are better than some previous Troopers incarnations, though the elephant pants really only look good on bodies that are relatively slim - they make larger or stockier built people look shorter and stockier than they are, which, I'm thinking is NOT what was hoped for...

Pioneer next. One little quibble - Pioneer's press info in the program tries to justify using music from "Oliver" with the canard that the story takes place in a workhouse in Dublin. It doesn't. Never has. Not in Dickens, not in the musical, not in the movie. It's always been in London. If they're feeling that the Irish thing has 'em in a corner musically, just let it go, but don't try to change information to justify what really doesn't need it. The selections from "Oliver" are fine. The arrangements are quite good, for the hornline they've got, there's some very good solo work, and they do a good job of selling it. It's a very newbie friendly show, if not all that well executed for a Div 1 corps (lots of slop visually). I thought the pit placement (toward the back of the field) worked well for balancing the sound. The picnic tables also worked, though they got a little cumbersome after awhile. Might want to consider a new color and a new coat of paint for the tables, as primer red is not exactly eye-catching, and the paint that is on them now is starting to look a little beat...

Blue Knights up next. Guard unis good for the girls, but a little odd looking on the guys. This is a tough one, cause this corps obviously has talent in the ranks. These kids can play. They can march. There are a few nice effects in this show - but no music to make it worthwhile. "Fear and Trembling" is more than a little pretentious all the way around - Jaysus, if this is what the staff wants us to listen to, what the h*ll must they listen to for fun around the house? Barber and Shastokovich are both important 20th century composers, but neither of the chosen pieces is constructed in 'sound bites' that could make them successfully adaptable to the drum corps medium. These guys have a huge sound, and could do SO much more with a forward thinking show that got away from the undergraduate desire to be seen as 'meaningful'. Nice features in the drumlines, though, again, the musical selections made it hard to pay much attention after a few minutes.

Colts are somewhat in the same predicament as Blue Knights, though less severely from a program standpoint, and they seem to be executing on a higher level (I was surprised to see the two as close, as Colts' performance looked and sounded markedly better from a cleanliness standpoint). Dare I say that if a corps isn't performing at the level of a Cavaliers, SCV, or Cadets, that they're best off leaving school band composers alone? The reason I say this is because (in my VERY generalised opinion and based on my experience) most composers who focus on school band literature generally don't have a lot to say, musically speaking (ducking now from all the brickbats being hurled by music majors and school band conductors). The opening segment of this show, the short piece of Turina is quite nice, and sets up for something great to follow - which fails to happen. Disappointing. (I know, this is starting to sound like an entirely negative review of the night - trust me, it'll change in a minute). It's a good group of performers, and if they can stick to their guns from a performance standpoint, they should have some fun in Madison.

Long intermission. I accompanied my 7 year old daughter to stand in the long lines for the portajohns. And stood. And stood...

which is why I can't say anything about PR except what I heard next to the track, as the bladder relief lines were still backed up (no pun intended) when PR took the field. From what I heard, both from the corps and from the crowd, they seem to be in a good place at the mo'. Will have to wait until Madison to see them...

SCV up next. Get the not so favourable out of the way first. New unis? Nope, nahtsogood. Green is much too 'green', a light hunter green, rather than the almost black green this corps traditionally had. Also, new design causes the entire corps to turn into a green mass when they face backfield. Solid color, nothing to break up the image? Bad call Vanguard. Bring back the old ones, then stop f**kin' around with it already!...;-)

This is a show that, with a less talented staff and performers, could be torture to watch. It's not. It's one I'm looking forward to being able to see again in Madison. The boxes for the guard are a little iffy (looked like there were starting to be some mechanical problems with them falling apart at the hinges), though I appreciate what they're trying to do with them. Solid drum line. Nothing in this show stands out as an obvious strongpoint, but it's so well balanced, and full of enough ambition and energy from a physical and musical standpoint, that it's easily going to be one that many people will find themselves looking at over and over again in the years to come. Good job Vanguard.

Cavaliers up next. Ok, I'm an alumni, so no doubt a bit biased, BUT... I think this is perhaps the most perfectly integrated show I've ever seen. Not the most difficult (some of the snare line stuff is kinda simple, but that's true for everyone these days - the difficulty is more than made up for by the quints, basses, and pit), not the most 'hummable' from a melodic standpoint, but the most perfectly integrated. Every moment in this show feels completely considered, and placed in such a way as to reflect on the idea before, and set up the idea to come. This is true both musically and visually. I'm beginning to wonder if original composition might be the way to achieve this level of inevitibility. The music is nicely designed to allow for statement, development, and recapitulation. quoting itself at well chosen spots in the show. The crowd was totally into this show at the beginning, and by the time the second Fight Club happens right near the end, was totally into what they'd just seen. The guys have a f**kin' rocket in their pockets, and they walk onto the field like they know it - which only helps sell the idea. Out-freakin-standing, all the way around. Their score tonight was EASILY justified by the performance and the design of the show.

Royal Airs Alumni next, showing the kids (hey, that would inlcude me, since they were LONG gone before I started marching) the general idea of what a big 1960s drum corps show was like. Was a total kick for the crowd to hear "on the starting line, from Chicago, Illinois, the Royal Airs" - the starting gun at the step off was a nice touch too. End zone entrance, company front going across the field to "My Kind of Town" , flag pre to "Battle Hymn", exit to "It Was a Very Good Year" and some RFL horn playing. Good for the soul. Before performance, Jackie Lurye publicly thanked Don Warren for the invitation and the comaraderie between the Old Man and Sie Lurye back in the day. Big Blue rocked the house, and it was as much fun watching the folks a bit older than myself getting excited as it was watching the new version of RA. Thanks folks!

No surprises at finale (though it was a LONG one....) Great victory concert by Cavies. Gathered with the alums to sing in the end zone, catch up with a few guys I hadnt seen in awhile.

And now it's 2, so time to crash...

Matt

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Late Sunday night/Monday morning, so not too verbose at this hour...

Royal Airs Alumni next, showing the kids (hey, that would inlcude me, since they were LONG gone before I started marching) the general idea of what a big 1960s drum corps show was like. Was a total kick for the crowd to hear "on the starting line, from Chicago, Illinois, the Royal Airs" - the starting gun at the step off was a nice touch too. End zone entrance, company front going across the field to "My Kind of Town" , flag pre to "Battle Hymn", exit to "It Was a Very Good Year" and some RFL horn playing. Good for the soul. Before performance, Jackie Lurye publicly thanked Don Warren for the invitation and the comaraderie between the Old Man and Sie Lurye back in the day. Big Blue rocked the house, and it was as much fun watching the folks a bit older than myself getting excited as it was watching the new version of RA. Thanks folks!

No surprises at finale (though it was a LONG one....) Great victory concert by Cavies. Gathered with the alums to sing in the end zone, catch up with a few guys I hadnt seen in awhile.

And now it's 2, so time to crash...

Matt

It's almost 3am and I can't sleep because I can't wipe the freaking grin off my face from doing that show tonight. In fact, as a great RA/Kiltie friend told me tonight, he'll be smiling all week. I concur, dude.

I also would like to add that Jackie Lurye/Borrelli is one of the best people I've met in drum corps. Nice, but assertive and a "take-charge" kind of woman. A whirlwind and a wonder. Her Dad would be proud.

-Terri

Cavaliers up next. Ok, I'm an alumni, so no doubt a bit biased, BUT... I think this is perhaps the most perfectly integrated show I've ever seen. Not the most difficult (some of the snare line stuff is kinda simple, but that's true for everyone these days - the difficulty is more than made up for by the quints, basses, and pit), not the most 'hummable' from a melodic standpoint, but the most perfectly integrated. Every moment in this show feels completely considered, and placed in such a way as to reflect on the idea before, and set up the idea to come. This is true both musically and visually. I'm beginning to wonder if original composition might be the way to achieve this level of inevitibility. The music is nicely designed to allow for statement, development, and recapitulation. quoting itself at well chosen spots in the show. The crowd was totally into this show at the beginning, and by the time the second Fight Club happens right near the end, was totally into what they'd just seen. The guys have a f**kin' rocket in their pockets, and they walk onto the field like they know it - which only helps sell the idea. Out-freakin-standing, all the way around. Their score tonight was EASILY justified by the performance and the design of the show.

Just a little bias?

Just a little bias?

In comments on RAMD, I've been critical of other Cavalier shows in the past (94, 96, and '00), so I'm happy when they do well, but not blind, deaf, or stupid when it comes to assessing show design. In the case of this year's show, it's simply an awesomely well-designed show. In my opinion (based on 28 years of experience in drum corps), it's one of, if not THE best, integrated shows ever, and they're performing it extremely well. If they'd sucked, I would have said so. They didn't.

You might note that I'm not the ONLY person this year with this opinion...

Matt

Matt,

Stick to your guns my friend. Good review. I too have been very critical of some of the things the Cavaliers have done in the past. Especially when it comes to their hornlines. Last night at DesPlaines (and your right, everything was long last night; finale, intermission, potty lines, food lines) was the first time this year I have had a chance to actually sit and listen to their hornline. As others have said in this forum yes, they are not very loud and yes they may not play the most difficult of books the entire show but I gotta tell ya these kids can play beautifully as a unit. As I said earlier in one of my reviews the musicians in the stands will have to pick their jaws up off the ground after some the segments of this show. Personally, I feel you don't need to play a million notes per second while moving 220 BPM's to win. Although there are parts near the end of their first song I think they are.

The Cavaliers have improved dramatically since I first saw them in late June. The changes they have made through the year are subtle but effective. There were some marching "brain farts" but once they stop adding new changes and start cleaning I see no reason why they cannot continue to remain the corp to beat in Madison.

Will they be undefeated this year? I don't know. I find it hard to believe that the judges will let this happen but you never know. I haven't seen Garfie.... er .... The Cadets (sorry, I'm old) or BD yet this year so it's hard for me to compare them. I can only go by what the judges, fans and this forum tells me. Once I do see them in Madison I plan on winning the Performance Review contest!!!

Just one more comment about the Cavalier/DesPlaines show. . . from down on the starting line you could see that the stands were packed to the edges and there were people in the back stands as well as standing on the sidelines. I can't ever remember a crowd of this size at this show.

Obviously several factors help draw the big crowd; the Cavaliers having a phenominal year, Santa Clara being in town along with several other top corps and the appearance of the Royals Airs. I know many of the "old timers" came out to see this show. I guess you can say that there was something for everyone to enjoy.

Obviously several factors help draw the big crowd; the Cavaliers having a phenominal year, Santa Clara being in town along with several other top corps and the appearance of the Royals Airs. I know many of the "old timers" came out to see this show. I guess you can say that there was something for everyone to enjoy.

DONK,

I think the large crowd had more to do with the Royal- Airs then Santa Clara or the success of the Cavaliers. The Cavaliers have been successful the last several years and last year BD was here. It seemed like every time I heard someone talking they were family or friends of someone within Big Blue. I especially liked the kid screeming before their show "Good Luck Daddy!". You don't hear that too often at drum corp shows.

BTW, I love their show. It is "old time" drum corp at it's best. I am also amazed how serious many of the members are about what they are doing on the field. I guess I feel when you get a bunch of "old guys" together, it's just another reason to party but I see no signs of that on the field. Although I am sure some does happen off the field!! I would be disappointed if there weren't.

Good luck Big Blue especially Joe Boyle. As the person who introduced me to the Cavaliers and drove me to practices in 1973 he is the reason why I was and still am part of this silly thing we call Drum Corp.

Nice review, Thanks.

I don't know if it was biased or not, but I will see them Friday and Saturday at DATR then I'll let you know.

Question, I read that the Cavies were planning to get real loud in a few parts of their show, have they done that yet, if so how's it sound? If not, then... Why the h*** not? Is it still planned?

Bill D

As someone who hasn't been to a drum corps show since 1967, I am one of those "oldtimers" who came to see the Royal Aires Reunion Corps last night. (I've seen the last 10 years of DCI on PBS). The Royal Aires were fantastic! 170 of "50+-something" members with straight lines and spectacular playing. That's the way I remember drum corps!!! What a walk down memory lane!!!

As someone who hasn't been to a drum corps show since 1967, I am one of those "oldtimers" who came to see the Royal Aires Reunion Corps last night. (I've seen the last 10 years of DCI on PBS). The Royal Aires were fantastic! 170 of "50+-something" members with straight lines and spectacular playing. That's the way I remember drum corps!!! What a walk down memory lane!!!

Thanks! We're having a blast!

But we're not all fiftysomethings. There's some fortysomethings, thirtysomethings, even some twentysomethings doing the Royal Air gig. It's great to have such a variety of drum corps experience working together to do this thing right.

BTW, I never feel old until I hear "3000 years of drum corps experience" in our speil! Haha!

-Terri

:D