Des Plaines review...

DONK,

I think the large crowd had more to do with the Royal- Airs then Santa Clara or the success of the Cavaliers. The Cavaliers have been successful the last several years and last year BD was here. It seemed like every time I heard someone talking they were family or friends of someone within Big Blue. I especially liked the kid screeming before their show "Good Luck Daddy!". You don't hear that too often at drum corp shows.

Mitch,

I'm sure you would remember me, after all we marched together in Cavaliers in '76. Actually my parents were at the Des Plaines show. My wife and two boys won't be cheering "Good Luck Dad!" until Madison. Thanks for the kind words about Royal Airs 2002 (which includes about 10 Cavalier FMMs) - we are having a blast!

Don Kosmal

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the show last night too and I think the Cavies design is absolutely impeccable. It must be perfect because they scored a 96.1 with lots of noticeable dirt in the drill formations. They didn't lock the last set like they did in Indy, but it was still an impressive move.

SCV seemed flatter to me than in Indy but PR was ON FIRE! That show is smokin' and I'm not sure what's holding them back. I keep hearing percussion and visual demand. I'm no percussionist so I'll take people's word on that but I see a lot of visual demand in their show. They have baritones running backwards while playing for crying out loud! Maybe it's sustained demand that people are referring to.... but I think there is plenty in PR's show. There shouldn't be that large a gap between the top 4 and PR, IMO.

Can't add a full review here since DCW owns it. However, a couple of comments about the show itself. A great lineup, a great night for drum corps, but I was very disappointed at the show's organization. I've never been to Des Plaines show before, but it kind of came off in many ways like this was the first one rather than the 19th.

6 portajohns for a crowd that size. I'm going to try not to be too negative here, but PLEASE. This is not hard. That's woefully inadequate and always will be for that size crowd. People were not unusually needy of bathrooms last night; the simple fact is that given a certain crowd size, you need a certain number of bathrooms available. IMO, inexcusable, especially for a show that's been going as long as this one.

Concessions. The hot dogs were the best I've had all year - great grilled flavor. But they ran out of two of their pizza types - cheese and pepperoni - an hour and a half BEFORE the show started. What??? Ever served concessions before??? On a positive note, they did NOT run out of drinks (as I've seen at some other shows this summer).

Ushers. Desperately needed. People were climbing all over the stands during almost every corps' performance. They completely ignored the announcer's request to not enter/exit the stands during performances.

Oh, speaking of the announcer. They apparently did not test the PA equipment before the show - constant problem. Apparently the announcer forgot about the America/O Canada performance, as he dismissed the corps right after the scores were announced. This completely confused all the corps, who eventually recovered enough to decide to play the number anyway. The announcer never did announce any correction. There was a presentation by Don Warren on the field with no mic. I'm sure it was a great presentation - just wish I could have heard it. Apparently they didn't figure out they needed a mic for the age-out ceremony either.

I don't mean to sound like I didn't enjoy the show - it was a great show with a stellar lineup. I was just shocked at how many things went wrong for a show that's been going on for so long. If the crowd this year was any indication, this show has WAY outgrown Maine West HS.

SCV seemed flatter to me than in Indy but PR was ON FIRE! That show is smokin' and I'm not sure what's holding them back. I keep hearing percussion and visual demand. I'm no percussionist so I'll take people's word on that but I see a lot of visual demand in their show. They have baritones running backwards while playing for crying out loud! Maybe it's sustained demand that people are referring to.... but I think there is plenty in PR's show. There shouldn't be that large a gap between the top 4 and PR, IMO.

w/Stp:

PR's show was incredible last night. I agree - I don't see what keeps them 3 points below the top 4.

I think the large crowd had more to do with the Royal- Airs then Santa Clara or the success of the Cavaliers.

BTW, I love their show. It is "old time" drum corp at it's best. I am also amazed how serious many of the members are about what they are doing on the field. I guess I feel when you get a bunch of "old guys" together, it's just another reason to party but I see no signs of that on the field. Although I am sure some does happen off the field!! I would be disappointed if there weren't.

Thank You - these comments are the reason I keep coming back to the Midwest for the Royal Airs performances - along with all the great people of the Royal Airs....

Yes - we are serious - and yes we do rock the house... and don't you forget it.

This show was a great success and had a great corps line up...

It would have been great to have the Kilties there also...

pre combine... pre dci days... The old VFW/AL line up....

And with two more rehearsal days today and tomorrow (which I'm going to see tomorrow all day. I can't wait)....

there should be no reason.

They better break 90 on Wednesday.

Well, to kind of counter-act Wheelerand claims...which are 100% true...the Cavaliers did not have anything to do with the mike problem, the food problem, the porta-johns, or lack of control of people's movement during the shows.

The past 2 maybe 3 years, Maine West HS Band Boosters have requested to take over these things, getting everything set up for the show, so they can earn some money for the HS Band Boosters. The years that the Cavaliers actually did everything, it went off well with minor problems.

They have had Microphones on the field years previous, they use to have left overs at discounted costs....it was very disappointing, especially when everyone felt that it was 100% the Cavaliers Boosters, when it was the Maine West Boosters!

Well, to kind of counter-act Wheelerand claims...which are 100% true...the Cavaliers did not have anything to do with the mike problem, the food problem, the porta-johns, or lack of control of people's movement during the shows.

The past 2 maybe 3 years, Maine West HS Band Boosters have requested to take over these things, getting everything set up for the show, so they can earn some money for the HS Band Boosters. The years that the Cavaliers actually did everything, it went off well with minor problems.

They have had Microphones on the field years previous, they use to have left overs at discounted costs....it was very disappointing, especially when everyone felt that it was 100% the Cavaliers Boosters, when it was the Maine West Boosters!

Hey, Sluggo, thanks for the clarification. Sorry if in any way I implied that anything that happened there was Cavies' fault - that certainly was not my intention!! Your post really explains the matter - especially when the Michigan City show is so well-organized. Any chance the Cavies will take this one back, or maybe go to a new venue?

<BTW, Great to meet you there!!!>

Your post really explains the matter - especially when the Michigan City show is so well-organized.  Any chance the Cavies will take this one back, or maybe go to a new venue?

I'm not sure where else in the near 'burbs they could host the show. I don't think it draws enough to justify Ryan (nee Dyche) Stadium at Northwestern (and who knows if the football staff would sign off on it if it did, though as I think of it, it'd be a much better location for DCI Midwest than the RCA Dome - sorry Indy folks...).

Agree that the portapotty situation was a disaster (as I mentioned, I and a couple hundred other people missed PR because of it), but on the other hand, the grounds of the school and the stadium itself are quite nice, the food and drinks were reasonably priced and parking was a breeze. PLUS, there were restaurants with drive ups that were still open right next door when we got out of there just before midnight.

If they'd added ten more portapotties and the winds had shifted enough to change the O'Hare take off flight patterns, the night would have been pretty much perfect.

And it's 90 minutes closer than Michigan City, though I do miss the DQ across the street from Ames...

Just to put a few positive spins on the Maine West sitch...

Matt

Your post really explains the matter - especially when the Michigan City show is so well-organized.  Any chance the Cavies will take this one back, or maybe go to a new venue?

I'm not sure where else in the near 'burbs they could host the show. I don't think it draws enough to justify Ryan (nee Dyche) Stadium at Northwestern (and who knows if the football staff would sign off on it if it did, though as I think of it, it'd be a much better location for DCI Midwest than the RCA Dome - sorry Indy folks...).

Agree that the portapotty situation was a disaster (as I mentioned, I and a couple hundred other people missed PR because of it), but on the other hand, the grounds of the school and the stadium itself are quite nice, the food and drinks were reasonably priced and parking was a breeze. PLUS, there were restaurants with drive ups that were still open right next door when we got out of there just before midnight.

If they'd added ten more portapotties and the winds had shifted enough to change the O'Hare take off flight patterns, the night would have been pretty much perfect.

And it's 90 minutes closer than Michigan City, though I do miss the DQ across the street from Ames...

Just to put a few positive spins on the Maine West sitch...

Matt

The Royal Airs had a wonderful time at RADISHES after the show!

-Terri