2004 Quarterfinals Review

Quarters are over, and here are my thoughts. My vantage point was the lower part of the middle deck on the 40 yard line on side 1.

Ezperenza – 76.325 – What a wonderful way to open the show! They did a great job today, despite the weather. When the show began, there were some ugly clouds overhead. There was a little bit of spitting from the clouds, which was no big deal – but the wind caused some trouble for the guard and the corps. They have a very nice program, and all section performed very well. I wish I could have seen their show again.

Pacific Crest – 77.850 – Another fantastic show from another California corps. They too experienced some difficulty with the wind, but otherwise did an outstanding job. The horn line has some power, the guard is excellent (except for the trouble with the wind), and the drum line is entertaining. The overall package is written well and at the right talent level for the members. This is another show that I would love to see again.

Pioneer – 71.600 – The strength of this corps is their drum line. The book has some tasty licks, and the line eats them up. I only wish they had the horn line to match. The guard experienced significant difficulty with the wind, which was probably blowing hardest while they were on.

Troopers – 74.925 – They too experienced difficulty with the wind this afternoon, but overall had a very good show. They have a very entertaining show that received a nice response from the crowd. The brass book was excellent, and was played well. I hope they can hold on to these kids and continue to build. There is a good foundation there that could help propel them back into the hunt for a finalist spot.

Kiwanis Kavaliers – 75.350 – They did a nice job with yet another version of West Side Story. They didn’t attempt to reinvent familiar tunes with quirky arrangements, but rather did a very nice job just playing them – and very effectively. Nice job.

Southwind – 78.050 – They had a very impressive show, but they just didn’t have enough time to clean this show. They were definitely hurt by the short season this year. Have they had another week, they just might have made semi-finals again. The drill in the opener was very much the same as some of the exciting drill moments from their 1999 show, but was not quite as clean. Overall, a nice show and nice job.

Mandarins – 77.750 – They have improved a great deal in the past few weeks. Once again, they have a well designed, challenging show. The music is accessible and very entertaining. They just had a lot left to clean. They were also a victim of the shortened season. Great job.

Magic of Orlando – 78.500 – They gave it their all today, and it paid off in spades. They have made significant strides in improving their show and cleaning. They have a very entertaining program and great musical selections. The lack of a sash on the uniform hurts them visually, as they look incredibly drab. The spread to Colts is real. They will be 17th tomorrow, so they need to just go out there and have fun.

Seattle Cascades – 82.825 – Fantastic performance today! They have really cleaned up, and really nailed their show. If they had another week, the fight for finals would be really interesting. The musical selections flow together very well, and the drill is outstanding. Performance in all captions is strong. I really love this show, and look forward to seeing them perform again tomorrow. If they really crank out a good show tomorrow, they could move up a spot.

Colts – 82.375 – This has to be one of my favourite shows from the Colts. An outstanding product top to bottom. The show is very entertaining, and the crowd responded accordingly. The brass arrangements are excellent, and are performed well. This is another corps that could use another week to clean, and would make the fight for finals very interesting.

Capital Regiment – 83.800 – These kids just keep getting better year after year, and they played their hearts out today. Fantastic show – very impressive. The Cascades, Colts, Cap Reg threesome is really amazing – all three are so close and so good.

Spirit from JSU – 85.875 – I am not a fan of this show – I just do not think it flows well. It seems to be just a bunch of tunes thrown together. The kids are really doing a good job with the product that has been provided to them. They did not deserve to place any higher.

Blue Knights – 87.225 – The home town corps came to play – and play they did. A super charged performance tonight. That drum line is amazing, and what a mellophone line! Their unique marching style is very effective, especially when consistently executed (which it was tonight). If they take it up a notch tomorrow or Saturday, they could move up a place.

Glassmen – 86.550 – Their show is so much better this year, as is their performance in all captions. The musical selections really work, and have been integrated very effectively. They are strong in all captions. They received quite a loud crowd response when the first strains of Medea were heard – imagine that? Seems the activity is ready for that piece now. I think they will make finals.

Crossmen – 88.000 – After a really shaky start, the kids in this corps have done a great job of busting their tails to make this show work (after all the changes). The show flows well, and they really performed well. However, they need to take it to the next level to maintain 10th place (as I stated earlier, BK could pass them with an emotional performance).

Carolina Crown – 90.525 – HOLY COW! What a performance. They were awesome tonight. That horn line is absolutely wonderful, and the guard really had a great show. I’d rather they lose the singing and talking, and just let that horn line give me some more goose bumps. The spread over Bones was correct, as was their placement tonight. If they crank out a good show tomorrow, they could bump off Bluecoats too.

Boston Crusaders – 90.4475 – They cut quite a bit of the voice over – but not all of it. And what’s left simple doesn’t make any sense any longer. They should cut it all together, as it adds nothing. Once the voice over started, the audience response took a nose dive. The soprano soloist didn’t have the best show, and their soprano line seems to be their achiles heel (again). The voice over seems to be strategically placed at times when the sopranos are playing too. Their guard is fantastic, and the show is actually quite good – once you get past the annoying voice over.

Bluecoats – 90.575 – After several viewings, I still don’t think this show lives up to the hype. Overall design has taken a step down from the past few years. The performance is still at the level the corps has been reaching the past few years – the design just holds them back. Their horn line is their strength. If they do not really sell their show tomorrow and Saturday, they could drop a few places.

Madison Scouts – 90.475 – Except for the end of Malaga, this show is a major snooze fest. Audience response is tepid at best during the first two numbers. The arrangement of Malaga pales in comparison to 94 and 95. This year’s edition seems to be the anti 95 arrangement – like they did everything possible to not be like that arrangement. The result? A choppy mess that in the end delivers some excitement – but leaves you les than satisfied. Scouts on b-flat horns, amplified, and performing this show – very disappointing.

Phantom Regiment – 93.200 – They were on fire tonight. This is the only placement that I disagreed with tonight. I thought they beat Cadets. The horn line is the most powerful on the field, and is playing incredibly well once again. The drum line has taken it up a notch this year, and the guard had a great show tonight. The drill is very clean, and fits the music for most of the show. The icing on the cake was the passion of the performance – pure excitement start to finish. Thank you Phantom!

Santa Clara Vanguard – 95.750 – SCV was on tonight. Their drum line is an absolute machine. While they took drums tonight, their score was simply too low – they are amazing. The horn line is very powerful – especially the low brass. Myron Rosander’s drill this year is absolutely fantastic, and was very clean. Very little visual dirt was noticeable from this very demanding drill. They put in a new ending tonight, and what an ending it is. They reintroduce the themes from Scheherazade into a down ending (much like the original), while the guard is covered by a large flag – as it passes over them, they disappear, until all the guard is gone, the flag falls to the turf, and Scheherazade is the only one left standing with a scimitar in hand. A perfect ending to a perfect show. They were clearly third tonight – but the spread was far too wide. If they put on a really emotional performance on Saturday (ala 99), they could move up a spot.

Cadets – 94.600 – I will make no bones about it – I hate this show. I think this is one of the worst designed shows from the Cadets since I can’t remember when. The guard work and drill do not coordinate with the music well throughout many points of the show. The guard’s white jackets at the beginning of the show are simply hideous. The Baton twirler is pure cheese. It’s really a shame that these kids have such a poor product to perform. They perform very well. Visual is the cleanest it’s been in quite some time, the guard is excellent yet again; brass and percussion are strong (though not quite as strong as recent years only by a little). The show simply lacks the goods. Hoppy – please leave the cheese in the refrigerator, hire a program coordinator, and give these kids a show worthy of their talents (and give us fans something to get up out of our seats and scream over). Audience response to the show was mediocre.

Cavaliers – 97.750 – They were the clear champion tonight. Simply awesome in every respect. The horn line sound is incredible, and they play so well. How BD beat them in brass is a mystery to my ears. The drum line is fantastic, but I do not think they will beat SCV in drums. The drill is insane, and the closing drill sequence is simply wicked. I think they will take home another trophy on Saturday night.

Blue Devils – 97.225 – They had a terrific performance tonight. They are no cleaner visually than Cavies, and their drill is much easier. Their guard is fantastic, and is integrated so well into the entire show. Their horn line is fantastic as usual, but much of the show is typical BD – staccato notes, followed by power chords. The soloists can wail. The show is nice, but grows tiresome after only a few listenings. Their spread over SCV was far too great. I think they will have to crank out a hot show to hold back SCV and maintain 2nd place.

This was a really great show overall. The quality of the corps was very high, despite the season being a week shorter (and earlier) than prior years. I found most of the corps very entertaining, and would rank this year as one of the better years in recent memory. I can’t wait for tomorrow night. With many corps as close as they are, there could easily be a lot of movement in places.

Tim Kviz

I predict most of the corps will remain in their respective places for finals. I'm a Magic fan and I have one bone to pick. I don't understand how the Colts and Cascades were ranked higher in the music caption. Both had intonation problems throughout their shows. Including the solos. Overall I'd say they were about even with Magic with respect to dynamics, articulation rhythm, etc but not intonation. These are the basics of music. Without these being right, it just won't sound good at all. Magic got jipped on their score. They should have at least hit an 80.

For the purpose of not starting yet another thread:

Cavies-Awsome show. My favorite of the night, and they deserved first place.

BD-Great Show and VERY clean. Based on that alone, I had them closer to Cavies and I loved thier style

SCV-Yeah. New ending with the dissapearing guard worked nicely, and the hornline played very well. Best soloists of the night in terms of expression and phrasing. VERY NICE JOB

Cadets-Fun show. Liked the baton twirler, but its too bad its hard to see it on camera. Locked in fourth place without room to go up or down in my opinion.

PR- Performed very well. A very diffucult feat for such a demanding musical show. However, it was very boring and had the least amount of crowd response of the night at the theater of any in the top 12.

BlUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!! Great show, guard is FANTASTIC! Brass play with such great control and technique and the entire package is very well integrated and entertaining. Sixth place, and well deserved (even though by 0.05 :-)

Crown- They really performed well tonight. No weak areas of the show in terms of design, but the tenor was a little off in his performance. If he could only raise his soft pallate a little more and get the sound to spin more forward in placement, it would help the tuning and blend. Great new ending with the singing of bohemian rhapsody and a deserved seventh place finish.

Madison- An off night for them, i felt. Malaga still rocks, but the ballad doesn't. The opener is satisfactory, but all aspects of the corps are very strong.

BAC- My favorite BAC show ever, and thank you for ditching most of the narration that didn't work. The guard and pit are awsome, and they really sell the theme of this show. The hornline needs some work.

Crossmen-My new favorite uniforms in DCI! Great show, but drill design is lacking in some spots. A lock in for tenth.

BK-Nice show, nothing weak, but nothing overly outstanding about it. Finals for sure.

GMEN-Great introduction to the show, and they bring a very artistic approach to the field. I like it. I think they have 12th locked down for sure, maybe 11th.

About 6-9th .... Holy crap. Throw the dice and their are your results for the next two nights, I think. Four corps by .10, and thats not fluke. They all are very strong in thier own, unique ways, and they will be making the judges earn their pay this week. The way I'd have it...

Bluecoats

Crown (This show is the one that makes me most nervous for by blue friends :-) )

Boston

Madison

i have a question. do u think kiwanis's score reflect or was it to low or high? and if it was to low what stopped them from scoring higher?

I actually thought their score was too high. But then again, I thought everyone's score was too high. The season was shortened by a week, and the corps were not up to the same level of quality we have been seeing since the mid 90's when the season was last shortened by a week. They all did a fantastic job of cleaning their products faster than ever, but overall, I just didn't see the execution to justify the scores (with a few notable caption exceptions - SCV in drums, Cavies and BD in brass). Just my perspective.

Tim Kviz