2004 Semi-Finals Review

Every year for the past several years, my family and I have posted our review of one of the shows from Championships. We try to limit our review to just a few overall comments about each corps. I do not edit my wife or daughter’s comments, and I ask for their comments before I say anything.

To put a frame of reference behind the comments, the following are our drum corps backgrounds: I marched from 1978 to 1988, and have been to Championships every year since 1978. My wife never marched, and she is completely deaf. She has been to Championships in 1991, and every year since 1993. My daughter is 12, has been to Championships every year since 1996, she plays the trumpet, and is very involved in dance.

There was a short delay in starting the show due to a storm that blew in. The storm dumped a good amount of rain, then blew away leaving sun and comfortable temperatures, with only a light breeze.

The stadium is simply awesome. Acoustics are fantastic, plentiful restrooms, ample food choices, air conditioning, chairs, couches, video monitors, great looking field, etc. And Denver has been such a great city for Championships. I hope they come back again, On with the review.

Magic of Orlando – 77.000

He Said: These kids went out and had fun tonight. Quality of the performance was sacrificed a bit by their enthusiasm, but the energy and excitement more than made up for it. Terrific job!

She Said: A very cool color guard, and a very nice interpretation of the movie. What a fun show. They were a big shock – no where near as good as in the past – but still a lot of fun.

And the Little One Said: It was a very good show. It was just really dirty. The timing of the guard was off and the spacing in the horn line was not very good. I really liked when they threw water everywhere.

Colts – 81.325

He Said: They had a very emotional performance tonight. They really laid it all on the line and had fun. There were major goose bump moments during Old Man River. Wonderful show and wonderful performance.

She Said: They were dirty. I didn’t like the drill at all. It just didn’t flow well. The guard was very nice.

And the Little One Said: I liked the beginning of the show and the color guard. The flags are really pretty. I liked the horn line – they had lots of kick.

Seattle Cascades – 81.800

He Said: They really stepped it up tonight. They had a really wonderful show.

She Said: They were very good. Overall, they have a nice program, but nothing really stood out.

And the Little One Said: I thought they were really good. I really liked their show, I liked their flags, and their drill was really, really good.

Capital Regiment – 83.250

He Said: I thought they were dirtier tonight. The horn line was a little ragged at times, and the drill was noticeably dirtier. I thought Cascades beat them tonight.

She Said: I really liked them. I loved the use of color, and the guard was very effective. Very cool flag designs.

And the Little One Said: I loved their show. This is one of my favourites. I liked how the guard changes costumes and flag designs. The drill is good, and the music is great. The guard is a bit dirty in parts.

Spirit from JSU - 86.300

He Said: A very strong performance tonight in all captions. They really stepped it up tonight.

She Said: I really liked them. There are a number of builds visually that are very exciting.

And the Little One Said: I loved the music. I thought it was really cool. The flags fit the show really well. The drill was really good, except once in a while the lines were crooked.

Glassmen - 86.375

He Said: They did a very nice job tonight. The drum line was on. The opening strains to Appalachian Spring had a little of side to side phasing that was not there yesterday, but overall they were great. They finished very strong. I thought the spread over Spirit was too small.

She Said: They beat Spirit, no question. They were very good. Their show was absolutely beautiful. They have such a great flow to the design of the program.

And the Little One Said: I loved the dresses at the beginning – when they lift them up and it’s red. I liked the music – it was well played. Design of the flags was really good. I liked the guard costumes and the drill.

Blue Knights – 88.000

He Said: They really stepped it up tonight. What a great performance! There were some very nice moments. Unless Bones is “on”, they should move up.

She Said: I don’t like the white guard uniforms (they should try a light blue or something else). They have a very good program. The drill is very good, and the build at the end of the show is outstanding.

And the Little One Said: I don’t really like the show, but they are really good. The flags look good with the guard’s costumes.

Crossmen – 88.025

He Said: The opener was a bit ragged tonight. This was not their best show. The soprano soloist was trying a bit too hard, and one of the screamers stuck out several times and did not complete phrases. Blue Knights should have beat them.

She Said: They were boring. I nearly fell asleep.

And the Little One Said: I liked the closer, and I loved the drums. I thought they were really good. I liked the ballad because it was really pretty, and the dancing was good.

Madison Scouts – 90.675

He Said: They were much better tonight. The crowd really lit up for the closer.

She Said: They were better than last night, but they are still not the same old Madison. You can see the fans still want the old Madison back, and have lots of respect for the past. It’s clear they want to see the Madison from years gone by once again.

And the Little One Said: I liked the guard work and the drums. I also liked the drill. My favourite part was when they turned the company front and when they did the flur du lis

Boston Crusaders – 91.250

He Said: Sadly, the vocals were back in their entirety (to groans from the audience). They had a very strong show, and improved on last night. The soprano line was still holding the rest of the horn line back.

She Said: They were much better than last night. The visual program is really cool, and the colors are nice. I noticed they did not get much reaction from the audience – only polite applause.

And the Little One Said: Get rid of the voice over! UNPLUG, UNPLUG, UNPLUG! I love all the different colors, and the drill is way cool. They would have a better show without the voice over. The guard is awesome.

Carolina Crown – 92.175

He Said: Yowza – were they on! That horn line is sweet, and the guard nailed their show. They should move up tonight.

She Said: The visual is awesome. They have such a great show. It seemed like the audience spurned them over the singing and the voice over. It’s too bad, because they have a really great show. There is clearly tons of talent that is not being recognized by the fans like it should. The use of electronics is overshadowing it.

And the Little One Said: I don’t like the voice over. It goes with the show, but they don’t need it. The guard work was cool, and they were totally awesome!

Bluecoats – 91.925

He Said: They had a very strong show tonight, though I do not think it will be enough to beat Crown. The horn line sounds wonderful, and they play very well. The design of the program is the problem for them (weak drill design – difficult, but weak design – and poor integration of the guard).

She Said: I thought they had a good drill and a very good color guard. They are just not as exciting as most of the other corps.

And the Little One Said: I don’t like them. They are very good, it’s just their show is a snoozefest.

Phantom Regiment – 93.575

He Said: PHANTASTIC! A very powerful show tonight right from the first note. They got right into the tango groove from the get go and nailed the show. This was a big step up tonight.

She Said: I thought they looked a little tired tonight, but they have a terrific show and good execution. I loved the guard and the use of the hearts in the drill.

And the Little One Said: I loved the red metallic flags against the white uniforms. I love the drill, especially when they do the heart shapes. I also thought the horn line was kicking.

Cadets – 96.125

He Said: They performed better emotionally tonight, but the execution took a step down tonight. There was some side to side phasing in the opener, and most of the lines in the box rotation at the end of the show were not straight. Phantom should beat them tonight.

She Said: Very good visual execution. The show is OK. I don’t like the solo baton twirler. It would have been much more impressive if it were a rifle or sabre.

And the Little One Said: They were very good, it’s just that their show is not very good. I think it’s cool when the girls tear off the shirts of the guys when the sabres are in the air. It’s cool how high the baton goes, but it’s a baton – that’s how high they should be.

Santa Clara Vanguard – 97.375

He Said: They raised the bar tonight. Fantastic job from all sections. The guard was incredible tonight. Drums were throwing down. The entire corps had a bravado about them tonight. When Scheherazade emerged from the “tent” at the end of the show tonight, she was dressed all in white – very cool.

She Said: Fantastic show! They are my favourite. The story line is very obvious, and everything about the show was perfect.

And the Little One Said: The flags fir the show perfectly. The drill, the horn line and the guard were really awesome. The dancing is really good, and the music is just awesome.

Blue Devils – 98.200

He Said: They were not as good as last night. The guard was not as clean, and there were more drops. The soprano soloist squeezed off in the final solo. I think SCV took them tonight.

She Said: They are OK. The closing to the show is a real let down. There are some really nice moments scattered throughout the program, it just does not carry through.

And the Little One Said: Their horn line was smoking. They made my ears bleed. I don’t like the flags at all, but they match the show really well. I like how they make train sound effects. The end is cool, but I want power at the end.

Cavaliers – 98.525

He Said: They were not as good tonight either. There were 2 slips in the horn line, and Bond (guard gentleman) fell front and center. The soprano screamer had some trouble with the last solo. They have the show to win, but they did not execute tonight. Could SCV have nipped them? Possibly.

She Said: I really like them. Everything about the show is simply awesome. One word – Champions!

And the Little One Said: They were so cool. The drill – WOW! Way cool. I like how they whistle. The music is very suspenseful, an the guard work is really, really good.

Final thoughts after seeing all of the scores – I don’t know what the judges were watching or listening to for the final two corps, but it was not the same shows I was watching. BD and Cavies did not have great shows tonight, yet their scores went up. Even though I think Cavies are a better drum corps than SCV, I thought the night belonged to SCV.

Crown deserved to move up, but so did BK (almost did), Phantom (lost ground), and SCV (widened spread to Cadets and shrunk spread to BD and Cavies). Let’s hope tomorrow’s panel is less concerned with slotting, and more concerned with paying attention to what is happening on the field on Saturday night.

Overall, scores are too high. The corps have done a remarkable job with a week less then normal, but across the board, scores are too high. There are only a few notable exceptions in captions like percussion (SCV), and brass (Cavies and BD), where the very high scores are appropriate.

Overall, it was a great show. I can’t wait for tomorrow!

Tim Kviz

Tim--I absolutely love your reviews...it's soooooooo cool. I remember when your daughter was MUCH younger and her comments. They'd crack me up!

Thanks again...

Thanks, a very truthful review. However, may I ask where you marched?

I've not read your past review however it seems that you dislike one corps in particular.....just a feeling I have....although your very smart 12 year old did not feel the same way!

Tim - this is my favorite review of every single year...I always really look forward to it and erally enjoy reading it. I hope y'all do them every year!

Thanks, a very truthful review.  However, may I ask where you marched?

I've not read your past review however it seems that you dislike one corps in particular.....just a feeling I have....although your very smart 12 year old did not feel the same way!

Given my user name, I would have thought the answer to your question rather obvius b**bs

I marched with the Sky Ryders, the Rivermen, and the Blue Knights from MN.

I would not say I dislike any corps in particular. There are certain show designs that I do not enjoy or care for and make no bones about speaking my mind about that, but I do not dislike ANY corps.