Vanguard '85

I just finished watching the '85 DVD and I noticed something pretty shocking! During Festive Overture (I believe) I know I saw a guard member grand jeteing with a baton in her hand! She was not shown during any tosses, but she was definitely there. Can it be that despite all the awful things said about the Cadets' baton boy, that it was nothing more than a nod to Vanguard '85? And does this mean that those who hated the Cadets because of the baton should now have to hate Vanguard because of their baton girl? At least hate the '85 show? Oh well, just something that caught my eye.

I just finished watching the '85 DVD and I noticed something pretty shocking!  During Festive Overture (I believe) I know I saw a guard member grand jeteing with a baton in her hand!  She was not shown during any tosses, but she was definitely there.  Can it be that despite all the awful things said about the Cadets' baton boy, that it was nothing more than a nod to Vanguard '85?  And does this mean that those who hated the Cadets because of the baton should now have to hate Vanguard because of their baton girl?  At least hate the '85 show?  Oh well, just something that caught my eye.

She DID do a toss or two...the moment when she gets her somewhat close up (right after the sops do the pants change) is when she catches a toss (in time with a perc/cymbal hit)

Her purpose wasn't the same as the guy from Cadets, tho. She was part of visuals on the field (along with the tarp the contras were playing with) that were designed to draw your eyes AWAY fro the tunnel, thus making the first pants change that much MORE of a surprise.

Personally, I wonder if part of the reaction to the Cadets this year is because the baton twirler was a guy. Forgive me for saying it, but I just don't think there would have been nearly as much issue with it had the person been a female.

Personally, I wonder if part of the reaction to the Cadets this year is because the baton twirler was a guy.  Forgive me for saying it, but I just don't think there would have been nearly as much issue with it had the person been a female.

Female or male - it does not matter. The over the top bando cheese baton twirler was too much. (and yes, I thought the baton twirler in SCV in 85 was a bit cheesy as well - though used to distract the viewer from the tunnel where the sopranos were changing pants, which is better than just displaying that cheese front and center for no reason).

Tim Kviz

Female or male - it does not matter. The over the top bando cheese baton twirler was too much (and yes, I thought the baton twirler in SCV in '85 was a bit cheesy as well - though used to distract the viewer from the tunnel where the sopranos were changing pants, which is better than just displaying that cheese front and center for no reason).

Sometimes we had to do what we had to do....

Cheese is cheese, it is what it is!

It doesn't seem like anyone mentions that baton from 85...did she get the job done by taking your eyes off of the change? It doesn't sound like it! :angry:

There's an answer for everything I suppose. :grrr:

Edited by LancerFi

It doesn't seem like anyone mentions that baton from 85...did she get the job done by taking your eyes off of the change?  It doesn't sound like it!  :grrr:

There's an answer for everything I suppose.  :wall:

The baton twirler from '85 has been mentioned from time to time and really wasn't used as much as Cadets was front and center. So let's think about this. What piece of equipment is closest to being used like a sabre or rifle. A baton, bedposts or pom poms? Every Corps has had at one time or another something "cheesy" in their show. Why be angry about it? :angry:

It doesn't seem like anyone mentions that baton from 85...did she get the job done by taking your eyes off of the change?  It doesn't sound like it!  :grrr:

There's an answer for everything I suppose.  :wall:

The baton twirler from '85 has been mentioned from time to time and really wasn't used as much as Cadets was front and center. So let's think about this. What piece of equipment is closest to being used like a sabre or rifle. A baton, bedposts or pom poms? Every Corps has had at one time or another something "cheesy" in their show. Why be angry about it? :angry:

True enough. What about streamers and feathers, or wings, or silk scarves, or parasols/umbrellas? I know people are going to say, "Well, I hate all of it!" Fine. It's still in, a part of the color guard repertoire, and has been since the late '70s. Maybe earlier. What bugs me is that people are choosing to isolate the baton twirler, as if that's the first time somebody added a piece of equipment other than a flag or a rifle. It's the "slippery slope" argument, the "if we let this in, then we've opened up the floodgates" opposition. As far as I can tell, the floodgates were opened at least three decades ago. Is it all "cheese"? Possibly so. But let's be honest and remember that "cheese" is nothing new to the world of drum corps. And that it's actually been used to quite memorable effect many, many times.

If "cheese" is really so horrible, I don't think Velvet Knights would nearly as popular with those who remember them. They were a darn fine, entertaining corps, but you HAVE to admit that alot of what they did was cheesy.

If "cheese" is really so horrible, I don't think Velvet Knights would nearly as popular with those who remember them.  They were a darn fine, entertaining corps, but you HAVE to admit that alot of what they did was cheesy.

They were the KING of Cheese... :angry:

Dang...I miss those guys :( It was nice not having to take it all so seriously ALL the time. A very nice respite if I do say so myself. Thanks VK B) .