1982 Dekalb Run Off

If you witnessed this, once in a blue moon event, please give us your impression of the crowd and corps reactions. The more information, the better. Seems to me this would have been AWESOME!

Rocketman - One More Time!

ampssuck

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on the field for the runoff and yes, it was everything it was cracked up to be. We were beating Madison all season by an average of four points. At the DCM Prelims, they surprised us by closing the gap to .1, although we won Prelims. We got ourselves together and put on an excellent Finals performance. At retreat, Madison was to our left, since they were defending champions. When they started announcing the scores, Madison started to leave the field. I thought they were leaving in protest and we won, but after Madison left the field, we began to leave. After announcing the Cavies in third place, Joe Bruno announced that there was a tie for first and that there will be a run-off. The fans cheered and it looked like nobody left.

Madison took the field first. It was midnight by the time they went on. They put on an exciting performance and the fans responded loudly in kind. Then we went on and when I looked, the stands still looked full. As we got on the field, the fans cheered us as much as they cheered Madison. When Chuck Hess made the callout to start the show, the cheering was so loud, I could barely hear him and he was about ten yards behind me. Like with Madison, the fans loudly cheered everything we did. We were seriously pumped up and put on the best performance of the season to date.

The retreat was a DM only retreat. We were in the back stands waiting for the scores. I remember it getting cold and we used our capes as windbreakers. Then they announced second place with a score of 85.00, Madison. We won with a score of 85.40.

It was one of my all-time best drum corps memories.

I was there in the stands, about mid-way up on the 45. I about freaked when the Scouts ticked off the field right after Bruno announced the run-off! I knew that this thing was going to be awesome. We all hung out in the stands talking about who we thought had been better, who was GOING to be better and who would win. After both corps warmed up behind the stands, Madison went on and then Phantom. It was INCREDIBLE to see! Both corps really let it hang out there, probably 2 of the most emotional performances I've ever seen.

Afterwards, we went back to our car and one of the guys had left an interior light on, so we had to get a jump. The only vehicle left in the lot was one of Madison's busses and we got a jump from them.

We drove back home and got to Indy about the time the sun was coming up. I was exhausted, but it's one of those moments that my friends STILL bring up as one of the greatest drum corps road trips ever!

:angry:

I too, was there. It was my 1st trip to DeKalb, since this was my first year back in the MBI hornline after a 2 year hiatus. At that time, the Sr. Champion was the exhibition unit after D-1 corps finished and gathered for finale. I stood on the back side watching Phantom and Madison do their shows from behind the old grandstand. I had no idea that they would get that close.

We were on the field under the far North goalpost when we started seeing memebers of Madison and Phantom start peeling off. When Joe Bruno announced the tie, I was stunned...and then he said that this was the 1st time there had been a tie for a 'major' title since about 1964, and that they were going to have a run-off, as they did in the previous show.

After an hour, mostof us with MBI made our way up to the 40-45 yard line and sat near the box, and watched an incredible performance by both corps. Madison's horn line was amazing, considering this was the 3rd show they'd put on that day. Phantom's horns weren't as dynamic, but they had the advantage in drill and percussion.

My wife and I will both always remember not getting back to the hotel until about 2:00, but it was worth every minute..

Man, do I miss Joe Bruno!! :grrr:

Pat

Well.....I wasn't there, however my corps was aware of what happened.

We were following Madison in DCW because their horn line was supposed to on par with 75. We also followed Phantom because they looked like they could be trouble for us. Having gone undefeated accept for a little nip by us in Denver.

I still have the DCW article from that show. Definitely was one of the legendary performances!

Man, do I miss Joe Bruno!!Ā  Ā  :angry:

Pat

I miss him, too. I loved the way he introduced us on the field...

On the starting line. From RRRRRRRRRockford, Illinois; the Phantooooooooooooom RRRRRRRRRREG-iment!!!!!

or

...from MMMadison, Wisconsin; the Madisoooooooooon SCOUTS!!!!!!!

I have a bad recording of his introducing us on the field in '83. It was mild compared to '82.

You rock, Joe!!! :grrr:

I was lucky enough to be there that night. The run-off shows were very emotional. What I remember most is Phantom had a very ###### off looking tymp player front and center.

Sounds like one of our favorite announcers when I marched. Who knows, could be him.

At the Stillwater Minn show, the announcer would announce us as:

"From Concord California.....Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee BAAAAAAAALLUUUUUUU DEVILS"

Sounds like one of our favorite announcers when I marched.Ā  Who knows, could be him.

At the Stillwater Minn show, the announcer would announce us as:

"From Concord California.....TheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeĀ  BAAAAAAAALLUUUUUUU DEVILS"

The way you've desrcibed the pronunciation of Blue, I'm sure it was Joe Bruno you're describing.

By the way, he was a heck of a good drum major also for those late '60s Mariner corps.