Division II/III Prelims

I didn't see everyone, I had a doctor appointment during the day--but of what I saw, I was pretty impressed with just about everybody.

Magic--not my favorite show by them, but gawd they perform so well-it's almost like they're giving DCI a message that they deserve to be division I--it's almost like they're angry when they perform, but it's so focused.

Like I told a few people yesterday, I wouldn't be shocked at all if they beat Madison--I don't think they will, I do think they'll give them a big scare though.

Capital Regiment--they're big, they're good, but they're not that close to Magic as the score indicated last night. They perform well, but not yet to Magic's level. They'll be in quartefinals most likely...I see them probably beating Pioneer and Troopers..but we'll see.

Mandarins--once again very clean, very controlled--but last night I heard something out of them I had never heard before--Loud! I've never heard loud out of them before, it was quite refreshing!

SCV Cadets--just love their show, especially the drill, so much cool stuff going on. And they performed very well too!! As someone said to me after they were finished--"I never knew Santa Clara had two division I corps!"

People who have now seen both the A corps and the Cadets all told me they like the Cadets better. Very good show!

Esperanza--First time I've ever seen them and I was impressed. Huge guard--I counted 29--and they're very good. They use both brass and chrome horns which made for a different visual effect.

The show is well designed--it's a show that has power written all over it--I felt in that area it didn't succeed and believe that it would have if they used G horns. But despite that, they were very enjoyable and put on a good show.

Spartans--excellent show. I didn't see the whole thing..but what I did see was quite impressive, especially the closer!

Jersey Surf--one of my favorites of the day. The guard in the wigs and the tutu's during "I Feel Pretty" was good comic relief. They also had a mellophone soloist who threw in "On Wisconsin" during his solo! Pandering to us home folks, but I liked it!

Patriots--This was the first time I've seen them since they won DCI in 99 with what I consider one of the best designed shows of all time in any division, so I was comparing this show to that one and, yes they're good and perform well, to me it was a let down. Had I not seen that championship show, I would have been more impressed.

Capital Sound---always entertaining, the home town corps didn't let their fans down. The show was well performed but they still scored too low I think--I'm not as biased with them as I once was, but I looked at their visual scores--they seem to be in the same pattern as the Scouts--good music scores, low visual scores, although, I do think their guard program is better designed than the Scouts this year.

One thing about the music--it's all great selections, but, in my opinion, it's a difficult thing to bring rock music to the field as there just isn't much there, main theme, bridge, chorus, which causes the arrangements to repeat the same statements more than they should. Just my opinion, but I do love that corps. I was there at the begining, and what they've become is just incredible!

Impulse--first time I've seen them...yes they're fun, they're decent, not great, but there's just too much "we wanna be like VK" there. They can find their own idenity and still be a fun corps like VK and Bridgemen were. And they have to execute better. I think they have a good foundation to build on and will one day be a contender in the division II ranks, but first they have to find their own identity, still employ the antics that fans have come to expect from them, and they'll do very well.

Revolution--wow! When I saw the scores from DeKalb where they beat Blue Stars, I was like--who???? Well I now know who they are...this is a very good corps!! I have no idea what their music was, but it was very well executed and very well received by the crowd. Great drill too. It's like they just came out of no where and wham!!! Excellent corps! Congrats on a great season!

Blue Stars--I saw them in their first show of the season and a few other times since--I do like the concept of the three decades (still wish they would have played First Federal March though--but the Jewish Trilogy does them well).

Anyway--they have improved alot during the course of the season. I did like what they did in the begining--I don't know exactly when this was added--but during the opening solo, there is a girl wearing the 70's style guard uniform--the short shorts that everyone loved!--doing the dancing style from that era. Along side her was a guard member doing this era's dance style...quite effective as a short history lesson.

They performed very well, but they're not at Revolution's level.

Americanos--I didn't like their choice of music when I played it in band, and was skeptical on how they would do it on the field. They do it quite well..nice balance in the horn line. They did a good job!

Tapei---they did things I've never seen before, or heard before--was definately different, but well done!

Yamato--never heard their music before--again, well performed and a different style than what we're use to here. Both corps--thanks for coming--great jobs by both of you!

Ok--trying to remember who else I saw---

Three corps I definately want to mention--

First--Joliet Kingsmen--you kids are awesome!! You have so much fun out there and just enjoy performing. Great corps, great attitude, I wish there were more like them!

Second--Decorah Kilties--again, just having a good time. A great bunch of kids that we in the Kilties have discovered over the summer.

Third--Phoenix--just loved their Bette Midler show!

Ok--Scenic City--(there were just so many corps!!)--awesome soloists--hornline very good I thought...they've really improved since their first appearence a few years ago.

Ok, not having the lineup right by me, my brain is now turning to mush trying to remember all the others.

But, in a blanket statement I will say, the vast majority of the corps I saw yesterday entertained me, did very well and should all be congratulated on a great show!!! It's just a shame so many fans stay away from the II/III shows---they're missing some very good corps!!!

Whew!

Although I am one of "the masses" who have opted to take off only part of the week, and will miss Div II/III. I have to concur that Div II/II, and the Senior division is the thing to do if you are in search of shows that are accessible & entertaining. The best parts of old time drum corps are alive and well there.

Although I am one of "the masses" who have opted to take off only part of the week, and will miss Div II/III. I have to concur that Div II/II, and the Senior division is the thing to do if you are in search of shows that are accessible & entertaining. The best parts of old time drum corps are alive and well there.

Yep.

Luckily, I work in Madison and all I do is say...ok time for whatever, and leave. :)

Plus, I'm sure anytime now, SCV will be practicing right across the street from where I work, just as they did in 99!

I intended to write reviews starting in Grand Haven but like a dummy I forgot to bring my charger for the laptop. Thanks to the guys in the office I received it this morning.

Thoughts from Grand Haven: Nice to see a new corps starting up, The Dimensions from Grand Rapids. Nice horn work with the “Konan” show. Guard could use a few more bodies but overall a nice performance by this group. Look forward to seeing them next year.

I Saw Revolution practice at the school where Prelims were held. Great corps with a great staff. They should definitely go DIV 2 next year. VERY impressive!

Magic put on the show of their lives that night at prelims. I think it will be interesting come Thursday night in Madison. No onto the DIV2/3 prelims

Arrived after the lunch break so sorry about all the corps prior to that. Heard that the Cadets of NYC had their best show to date….it always stinks to not make the next block. Look forward to seeing them next year.

Scenic City: Great show with some nice Chicago tunes. Some wonderful solo work and an overall fan friendly show. I thought they should have scored higher.

Lehigh Valley Knights: This corps has come a long way in short period of time. A nice take of the Disney Millennium chart…although it seemed kind of pieced together towards the end. Great drum solo performance by the whole corps.

Allegiance Elite: Look for them in the coming years. A very strong performance by this corp. Some nice solo work from this group as well. To play off another thread….they had a member pass out while exiting the field and it took forever to have an EMT attend to her. Shame on DCI for not having help nearby to assist. I hope she is OK.

Jersey Surf: WOW!!!! The last time I saw them was in Nashua, NH. HUGE improvement. The kids really sell this show and the mellophone soloist is outstanding. I was really blown away by this performance and had them 2 points higher than their score. They should move up tonight for sure. KUDOS to the staff and the corps for the most entertaining performance to date.

Marion Glory Cadets: It’s hard to believe that you can get such a nice sound out of 12 horns. The guard is one of the best in DIV 3. I’m not overally crazy about the book but the corps sells it well.

Yamato: I wasn’t overally impressed with this group. Another book that was difficult to get into. I do like their uniforms.

Americanos: I though they were better at their home show in Menasha. Very strong drum line and lower brass. Soprano line seemed weak at times. Really loved their version of Fiesta. Being a North Star guy, I loved the moving north star at the end of the show.

Capitol Sound: Definitely the home town favorites. A nice performance by the corps with some great takes on classic rock tunes. While the green gumbie things are cute…..I don’t quite get the meaning with the show.

Taipei Yuefu: I really like this corps. They portray a lot of energy on the field…..much better than last year. Love the spinning sopranos in the closer….nice effect. Very powerful horn line and artistic color guard. The Battery seems to be their week point.

Esperanza: They have a huge color guard and perform very well. It seems the book is written around them though. While the horn line is powerful they have a lot of tacit time between sets. The mix of Brass and Chrome doesn’t sit well with me either. They have a nice show overall and it is great to see them moving up.

Patriots: Guard had some off movements in the beginning but came on strong by the end. I’m still having a hard time with their book…although they perform it well and have a great sound and balance. It just doesn’t make me jump out of my seat. These kids can play and I hope the staff gives them a more appealing show next year.

Blue Stars: Love the retrospective show from them. I forgot that their guard used to where those shorts. Nice arrangements and horn sound. Look forward to seeing them tonight.

East Coast Jazz: This corps has also come along ways from the start of the year. Horn line does a great job with this book. The drum line seems to be holding them back IMO. Nice changes made at the end of the show from my last viewing. Overall a great performance.

Revolution: WOW again. They should really make the jump next year. Strength from every section and by far the cleanest drill in their division. DIV 3 is theirs for sure.

Spartans: By far the best performance this year. Guard was totally on form and the horn line really projected. I really love the Samson and Delilah closer. I had them over Vanguard.

Vanguard Cadets: I though they were off today from Grand Haven. Two crash and burns on the field and several kids out of step. They are huge and they play loud but overall I don’t think they deserved to be over Spartans or Esperanza. I think having SCV in their name helps.

Mandarins: Great performance by the horn line with a very challenging book. The new uniforms are great! They should think about making the jump next year as well.

Capitol Regiment: Not as good as Grand Haven IMO but still a strong performance. Drill seems to need a little work. Another gripe about Madison…the steam vents from the medical building went off behind the stadium drowning out some lovely ballad work by the corps. Should be tight for the second place slot between them and Mandarin.

Magic of Orlando: They are DIV 1 all the way. Great show with strength from all sections. Drill is outstanding! I think they will cause some stir come Thursday for sure. Score is deserving over the rest of the pack. They will likely get the highest DIV2 Finals score on record.

Well, I’m off to get ready for tonight’s show. I’ll try to post another review later on.

Thanks for all the reviews. I'm really interested in Revolution and Capital Regiment, from what I've read Blue Stars sound interesting too. I wish they'd sell videos of the division II/III quarterfinals, semi finals, and finals performances, instead of *just* finals. I guess I should say, I wish they'd record the last performance of each of these corps and sell them in ONE package. It would be nice for those of us not going, AND it would preserve some of our drumcorps heritage....

Jeffeory

IAllegiance Elite: Look for them in the coming years. A very strong performance by this corp. Some nice solo work from this group as well. To play off another thread….they had a member pass out while exiting the field and it took forever to have an EMT attend to her. Shame on DCI for not having help nearby to assist. I hope she is OK.

heh ya, the girl that passed out scared all of us, but she was up and walking within 20ish mins after our performance

Capitol Sound: Definitely the home town favorites. A nice performance by the corps with some great takes on classic rock tunes. While the green gumbie things are cute…..I don’t quite get the meaning with the show.

I don't know if you don't understand what the green gumbies meant or the show in general meant. If it's the gumbies, that was in "Curious Carnival", a combination of a Pink Floyd tune (The Trial I think) and Danny Elfman's Beetlejuice.

If you mean the show in general, I don't think it was meant to mean anything. At least that's what I picked up. Just played some classic rock. And I thought they did it very nicely.

This corps just keeps getting better and better. They are quite the success story. Kids keep coming back year after year. And to me, that is success. JMHO.

-Terri