PBS Broadcast

I wasn't impressed with it...in fact, it cemented my thought about not purchasing any of the cds/dvd.

I agree with this statement in part. I just saw the broadcast on KVCR channel 24 in the Orange County area. While I did like the overall broadcast, I also felt it's not worth purchasing the CD's. Why? Because, in my estimation. the music, for the most part, was not that entertaining. I was especially disappointed in the Cavaliers musically. I did, howevr, love their drill, visual effects and drums. And yes, I did see a number of the corps live through out the summer, both on tour and here is CA. I am amazed and awestruck at the proficency and technical aspects of the individual performances and performers, however, musically most of the corps leave me cold. It's far too obvious the corps these days are playing for the judges and no one else. Just my two cents worth. No flames, please.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't impressed with it...in fact, it cemented my thought about not purchasing any of the cds/dvd.

The DVD's do not contain the same broadcast, they show the full performances of everybody on them... that's actually quite a brilliant marketing tactic if you think about it... you can't just tape the corps off PBS anymore... you MUST buy the full performances from DCI. Gotta love capitalism.

I agree with this statement in part. I just saw the broadcast on KVCR channel 24 in the Orange County area. While I did like the overall broadcast, I also felt it's not worth purchasing the CD's. Why? Because, in my estimation. the music, for the most part, was not that entertaining. I was especially disappointed in the Cavaliers musically. I did, howevr, love their drill, visual effects and drums. And yes, I did see a number of the corps live through out the summer, both on tour and here is CA. I am amazed and awestruck at the proficency and technical aspects of the individual performances and performers, however, musically most of the corps leave me cold. It's far too obvious the corps these days are playing for the judges and no one else. Just my two cents worth. No flames, please.

How can you say something like "It's far too obvious the corps these days are playing for the judges and no one else." and then request that we not flame you?? Don't say things that are flame-worthy and maybe I won't flame you. ("Dr! It hurts when I do that!" "Then don't do that!") And quit projecting your own feelings onto the actions of someone you don't even know. Unless you personally know every designer and member in DCI, I don't think that's a fair assessment. Even if you've maybe actually taken part in the design process I could say that maybe you would have a leg to stand on.

It's far too obvious to ME.. that you have no clue what goes into designing a show. The whole idea IS to pull an audience in, that's what gets you credit in general effect. So you've not only engaged your audience but you've also satisfied the judges. It's a win-win.

It's a COMPETITIVE ACTIVITY... one that happens to have audience involvement listed as 40% of its criteria (GE)! Listen to a GE tape sometime, they will talk about engaging the audience and pulling the audience in ALL OVER it.

Finally, I was in a drum corps not too long ago, and I can tell you that when I was out on that field, the LAST thing on my mind was the judges and the FIRST thing on my mind was that audience. So... it's far too obvious to ME that you are 100% DEAD wrong.

Edited by EuphKub79

• 1 month later...