Two Perspectives In Madison

*******************SEMIS**********************

This time I was seated in Section F row 17, right in front of where the Blue Devils would do their cymbal rack manooovah. Perfect.

Capital Regiment (17th - 77.35) were better than yesterday, but their score dropped. I don't get those judges.

Carolina Crown (16th - 81.8) has a great guard even up close, and brass played much cleaner than yesterday.

Colts (15th - 83.9) duplicated their performance effort from yesterday, and had strong brass compared to Crown.

Madison Scouts (14th - 84.85) must have done something to their guard guys after yesterdays show, because they improved so much from Thursday, I really thought they had a shot to make it in, but they fell short, and I can't believe it was to....

Blue Knights (13th - 85.5) had nothing about their show, holistically, that topped Madison's, except for technical guard execution. Their guard was not proficient enough to make up with how they got completely smoked in B and P. They should have been 15th.

Seattle Cascades (12th - 85.95) really had a show made for the upper deck. I would have given anything for a FF section ticket just to see the rotating wedge move at the end of their opener. Soloists were nails tonight. "Simple Song" was simply beautiful. "Prelude, Fugue and Riffs" was just as fun as Cadets '91 arrangement and really capped off a wonderful show. They earned this spot.

Spirit of JSU (11th - 86.75) had a total package this year, and did the "E" word a little justice, with a bad-### battery and clean horns. I'm wondering what the talented kids in this corps would do to "Let It Be Me".

We could only hope. Welcome back, Baby Blue.

Magic Of Orlando (10th - 87.10) had a dirtier show than yesterday, with some feet issues. Otherwise, solid brass and drums helped these guys roll into finals.

Crossmen (9th - 90.65) Deserved 8th with this ridiculously difficult show. "Heat Of The Day" smoked, and I felt they got the rhythmic challenge of the first 2 minutes nailed down tightly. The opening drill set was fantastic and exciting to watch. A nicely done slow section was followed by a cruelly difficult arrangement of "Strawberry Soup" that demanded so much from the guys. They really hung in there to deliver the goods.

If the Glassmen (7th - 92.25) didn't have that supertight drumline and the cool flugel feature in their show, they probably would have been nipped by Spirit or MOO. Even with those attributes, they, in my opinion, got used by the Crossmen and definitely should not have tied Bluecoats in this show.

I did buy a "boring" shirt though, so they shouldn't be upset with my take.

Bluecoats (7th - 92.25) were a sentimental favorite, because a couple of Dutch Boy '90 guys had a lot to do with this show. Doug Thrower arranged one of the most entertaining and ear-friendly shows of the season. I was floored on how the ensemble unified during their park-and-blow section in their closer. What a wonderful drum corps moment. The BC guard was a solid example of what the Scouts should have had to make a finals appearance this year.

Boston Crusaders (6th - 92.45) had a lot of visual support in their program, and it struck a huge chord with the crowd, myself included.

I honestly thought they were 4th-place contenders with this show, but can understand how they could have fallen short of that mark. Their patriotic presentation was done tastefully and had just as much impact as the Cadets'. If their hornline and feet were just a bit stronger, they'd be on SCV's heels.

Phantom Regiment (5th - 92.8) didn't have the best-written show, but did have low brass that made you want to run to mommy. I expected more out of their drill, save for the ending set. The guard are goddesses, enough said. I sat next to a girl who made PR, but was kicked to the curb after missing one camp. She cried through the whole thing. I told her to keep pluggin' away and give it another shot next year. I'm confident that PR's staff are professional enough to reward great kids with great talent by signing them up. I hope they give Kristin a shot next year.

Santa Clara Vanguard (4th - 95.7) marched an awesome show. This one move they have in the opener just nailed me, when they did a slow rotation to face front, and then snapped right into a backstepping block. Wonderful. I'm guessing about $500,000 must have been spent on the visual elements of the show, because those huge purpleish-blue silks...d###. Nifty closing drill got the crowd on their feet.

The Cadets (3rd - 97.0) had a chance to contend, IMHO, but some dubious things cropped up in an otherwise awesome show. I really thought the guys changing on the 50 were badly staged. I would have had them enter behind the American flag setup in 40's casuals, and had them exit wearing FULL soldier gear, complete with bucket helmets and rifles. It would have emphasized the ominous fates that awaited soldiers, in a more impacting way. The 40s-style performance of the guard was priceless, their costumes, the dancing...outrageous. The guy-guard rifle counting trick was classic. The pledge had people going crazy even before they finished. The percussion were actually multimillion-dollar Japanese animatronic robots, programmed to kick ###. Fantastic show, but I do think they were placed correctly.

Blue Devils (2nd - 97.55) were just incredible. It is the best show I have heard and seen from them since 1988. The guard was just as impressive, if even more so than the Cadets. The soloists killed everybody. They are just invincible. I didn't know Apollo, Zeus, and Jesus marched Blue Devils, wow. As I predicted in May, "House Of The Rising Sun" would smoke, but I was not ready for soprano pedal tones. Had I not had strong abdominal muscles, I would have wet my pants. The guard one-upped the Cadets on period performance, as they did 20s ragtime like nobody's business. The saber-hat thing at the end of the opener was just too good. And then there's the cymbal rack, which was abused and pillaged in so many disgusting ways, I can't mention them here. Just get the DVD when it comes out. An unbelievable show.

Cavaliers (1st - 99.05) I think were scored a bit too high in semis, but from what I've heard, totally earned their finals score. This was just an outright marching clinic, plain and simple. If there were an LA Lakers of Drum Corps, the Cavies are it. I loved the original music, which some critical people hollered "E" at, but I found it to be wonderfully performed. Note to 2003 corps, Cavaliers and only Cavaliers should be allowed to perform a program that was anything but "esoteric". I see in no way where this show was limited in appeal or accessibility. A true winner! It was one of the best Green Machine performances ever, with 1992 a close second.

The Chicago Royal Airs (score - infinity) performed next, and I hope that when I am 55, I can play half as good as these guys did. What a dream and what a great history lesson that couldn't have happened at a better time. I hope the directors of "E"-happy junior corps can take their cues from these guys. Kudos to DCI for letting them have their day under the stars. I LOVED Judy, the female drum major with the cool uniform. She was a hoot. How about that rifle line on the fifty? The forward push they did saluting with one hand and doing rifle spins with the other, in perfect unison, was so thrilling to see from people in their 50s. I shudder to think how good they must have been 35 years ago. The tribute song to their corps founder, Sie Lurye, really got to me. People were balling everywhere.

....as they should have been. I hope that with the Royal Airs last hurrah, a new revival for this activity can take place. I believe borrowing a page or two from Big Blue isn't such a bad idea after all.

2002 was, in fact, "A Very Good Year".

The Chicago Royal Airs (score - infinity) performed next, and I hope that when I am 55, I can play half as good as these guys did. What a dream and what a great history lesson that couldn't have happened at a better time. I hope the directors of "E"-happy junior corps can take their cues from these guys. Kudos to DCI for letting them have their day under the stars. I LOVED Judy, the female drum major with the cool uniform. She was a hoot. How about that rifle line on the fifty? The forward push they did saluting with one hand and doing rifle spins with the other, in perfect unison, was so thrilling to see from people in their 50s. I shudder to think how good they must have been 35 years ago.  The tribute song to their corps founder, Sie Lurye, really got to me. People were balling everywhere.

....as they should have been. I hope that with the Royal Airs last hurrah, a new revival for this activity can take place.  I believe borrowing a page or two from Big Blue isn't such a bad idea after all.

2002 was, in fact, "A Very Good Year".

We are not all 55, some of us are only in our late 40's!

Thank you so much for your review. We gave so much to try to live up to the past. And if you want to see a lot of crying, come to our final performance at DCA where our entire corps will be balling like babies when we have to say goodbye.

I really enjoyed all the corps as I got to see both Quarters and Finals. Things are sure different than they were 35 years ago but the excellence has remained the same. I hope everyone enjoyed the history lesson. We all should reflect on where we came from every once in a while.

2002 was, in fact, "A Very Good Year". Yes, it was an excellent year!

Don wrote:

We are not all 55, some of us are only in our late 40's!

Thank you so much for your review. We gave so much to try to live up to the past. And if you want to see a lot of crying, come to our final performance at DCA where our entire corps will be balling like babies when we have to say goodbye.

Heh! Yeah, some of us are as young as 44!

Don't remind me. The miracle will be over soon. I know that the alumni corps spectators in Scranton are gonna love us tho and that will be a good memory to take back with us.

(trying not to think about Sunday, Sept. 1.) :(