So finally! I got to see Star's 1991 show!

I finally got to see the Star of Indiana show all the way through of 1991. I had to get the DVD, cause I had to see what George Z. had done and to hear the mellophone's in the show, was quite an experience for me. After it was over I cried. I had witnessed the best thing EVER in the History of Drum Corps. This Drill was INCREDIBLE! I never knew....WOW! It looks like George Z. created a masterpiece with his art! What an incredible honor that he shared it with us all. This experience he went through. :bleah::bleah::rolleyes::bleah:

God Rest His Soul!

Edited by Lancerlady

Cool, I had the pleasure of that being the first Drum Corps show I ever saw. My HS Directors showed it to all of the new marchers at Freshman camp. Words can't describe it, just wow.

Hey, me too!

Saw them on the '91 highlights broadcast...they were just showing Star's averaged score from the previous two nights.

My high school band had just made finals that fall...I bought the finals video from State, and the high school that won was sooooooo good.

That is, until I saw Star '91 B)

My jaw never closed for 11 1/2 minutes....I've been hooked ever since!

Isn't that drill just disgusting (in a good way)?

Its the most incredible thing I've ever seen! I talked to some people who were closer to George Z. then I could ever claim to be. He was my instructor. Anyway, this was his way of giving back to the activity that he loved so much as he was dying.

I'm so glad that he shared this gift with all of us! :rolleyes::bleah:

I love that show. The corps was just incredible, and not just the performance. They were great people. They were the headliners at our home show, which was also Rapid City Express's first ever in June 1991. It was otherwise a real small-time show, they were the only open class corps, but they were cool enough to come out and blow us all away, just because they cared enough to see a new corps get a good start. Their drumline even hung out and watched us warm up. A real class act, and I'm sad they're gone from competitive drum corps. The good news is, as Blast! they have been outstanding ambassadors of DCI to mainstream society.

Stephanie,

On the Star of Indiana Anthology DVD, you can watch the High Camera angle!

Needless to say, it's a must-see.

George definitely left his mark on the activity and this show was his exclamation point, IMHO.

:bleah::rolleyes::bleah: George Zingali :angel:

We're thinking about getting it. Hey Mark, on your signature, my husband can verify that he would say that to them sometimes, but he'd also use other, how shall I say, improper sayings that would be deemed politically incorrect. (If you know what I mean).

I think I'll pm you what he would say.. :rolleyes:

George Z was ... a mad genius ... a warm human being ... and one of the nicest, most genuine people it has ever been our pleasure to meet.

Star '91 ... our son Matt marched contrabass that year ... magical ... frustrating ... intense hard work ... and a gift from the master. Read Bill Cook's take on the show from the Star Website.

George Z was ... George ... and the host of heaven march and form the crosses. God bless you George. It was a genuine pleasure to know you and learn from you.

Marilyn